Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Read back through the thread. It's all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Read back through the thread. It's all there.
    Overheard today that the Carphone Warehouse now have these in stock, can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

davehealy wrote: »
    I've done exactly the same thing. I need MMS and Data settings if anyone would be so good as to share them.
    Meteor customer service were no help with the settings.

I will never forget to backup my ROM again.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, rather than starting a new one. I've just got a HTC Tattoo. And I was wondering if anybody out there knows how to enable delivery reports for SMS messages. The handbook doesn't seem to make any mention of it. And I cannot find anything in "settings" for SMS messages. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

blueser wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread, rather than starting a new one. I've just got a HTC Tattoo. And I was wondering if anybody out there knows how to enable delivery reports for SMS messages. The handbook doesn't seem to make any mention of it. And I cannot find anything in "settings" for SMS messages. Cheers.

if you go in messaging then press menu, go in the settings and it should be there..
    if not... whats actually in the settings then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

nmesisca wrote: »
    if you go in messaging then press menu, go in the settings and it should be there..
    if not... whats actually in the settings then?
    It must be nice to have brains! Maybe if I ask Santa...........? Cheers for that fella; job's a good 'un now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Overheard today that the Carphone Warehouse now have these in stock, can anyone confirm this?
    Did CPWH ever stock these from day one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Dman001 wrote: »
    Did CPWH ever stock these from day one?
    No, I heard they are now selling though and just want to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Does anyone have the settings for meteor for the HTC Hero

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Just wondering if there is a way to prioritise wifi over network for data access or specify that particular programs only use wifi not network data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the settings for meteor for the HTC Hero

Meteor settings: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63179072&postcount=1274
    richieg wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is a way to prioritise wifi over network for data access or specify that particular programs only use wifi not network data?

I'd never have both on at the same time, so prioritisation is not an issue for me. As for specifying one over the other, I know some apps (like Google Listen) have a "download over wi-fi only" option, but I don't know if there is a configuration utility to choose one over the other (doubt there is one, though).

To be honest, if you have a data package on your phone, you could leave it on all day polling mailboxes, downloading app updates etc. and you probably wouldn't even scratch your monthly quota. Use wi-fi for speed and larger downloads (youtube vids, podcasts).

Download netcounter (free on app store) to keep track of your downloads. I bet you use less network data than you think you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hey all,

Just got my Hero today, been playing around with it a small bit but unfortunately run into a bit of trouble. Fella I got it off gave it a factory reset before giving me the phone, however when I try and log into any google apps such as Gmail or Google Talk it gives me an error saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server". Underneath it says "This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care.

I googled it but the only thing I read was you have to reset the phone, which I'd rather not have to do. Anyone any ideas?

BTW I'm on Vodafone PAYG and using WIFI. I don't have the vodafone settings so if anyone wants to post them up or tell me if they're already on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mikesligo

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just got my Hero today, been playing around with it a small bit but unfortunately run into a bit of trouble. Fella I got it off gave it a factory reset before giving me the phone, however when I try and log into any google apps such as Gmail or Google Talk it gives me an error saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server". Underneath it says "This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care.

I googled it but the only thing I read was you have to reset the phone, which I'd rather not have to do. Anyone any ideas?

BTW I'm on Vodafone PAYG and using WIFI. I don't have the vodafone settings so if anyone wants to post them up or tell me if they're already on the thread.

I may have the same problem. My hero simply won't connect to 3g (only use 2g is not enabled), unlocked from t-mobile and currently on three. I get that message whenever I try and browse the web while not connected to wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mikesligo

Scratch that, I used the APN settings here and it works pefectly. This may be your problem too, try googling for vodafone ireland apn or similar.

mikesligo wrote: »
    Scratch that, I used the APN settings here and it works pefectly. This may be your problem too, try googling for vodafone ireland apn or similar.

I did, I found the vodafone settings on this thread but it still won't work.. Won't even attempt to connect. Also even do Wi-Fi is working I can't log onto google apps :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wealthyboris

Vodafone APN:
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    USERNAME: vodafone
    PASSWORD: vodafone

Vodafone SIM Cards are normally enabled with the "Live!" APN pre-programmed on them, best to check with Vodafone as to how much they charge for using each APN.

As always, a dedicated data plan is the only way to maximise any Android Device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

does anyone know if theres an app for android thats similiar to the dessid you can get for the iphone ? http://daniel.ie/dessid/ searchs for nearest eircom wifi to ya and gives you a password

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

brmccfc wrote: »
    does anyone know if theres an app for android thats similiar to the dessid you can get for the iphone ? http://daniel.ie/dessid/ searchs for nearest eircom wifi to ya and gives you a password

you can also use this site...just use your browser and go to:

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

enter the ssid and you can get the pw

Also does anyone know the current price for the hero? Is there stock in 3G or meteor stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

neacy69 wrote: »
    you can also use this site...just use your browser and go to:

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

enter the ssid and you can get the pw

Also does anyone know the current price for the hero? Is there stock in 3G or meteor stores?

The Hero is on Sale in all 3G Mobile and Meteor Stores from Today.

Dont have the full price reductions and is only on PostPay i think but you can check in store.

Shane

Found the Prices

htc hero connect €25 109.99
    htc hero connect €20 89.99
    htc hero connect €50 79.99
    htc hero connect €45 59.99
    htc hero connect €65 79.99
    htc hero connect €60 59.99
    htc hero connect bp surf 79.99
    htc hero connect bp max 79.99

About €30 cheaper if porting

Cheers Shane for that, Im glad I waited after Christmas now. Is there a further €30 discount if your porting of do those prices include the €30 discount?

Cheers Shane for that, Im glad I waited after Christmas now. Is there a further €30 discount if your porting of do those prices include the €30 discount?

Those are the First time connection prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Sorry - Shane, i'm thinking of moving from prepay to bill on Meteor, and picking this up on the transition; will the reductions apply to this? Handy to know.

After playing around with my two friends ones, i've flipflopped on my previous position and gonna go for the Hero. Can't help being a gadgetfreak :)

Proxy wrote: »
    Sorry - Shane, i'm thinking of moving from prepay to bill on Meteor, and picking this up on the transition; will the reductions apply to this? Handy to know.

After playing around with my two friends ones, i've flipflopped on my previous position and gonna go for the Hero. Can't help being a gadgetfreak :)

I don't think that would count for the €30 reduction but if you have a old camera phone 3G Mobile will give you €30 against the billpay phone.

Shane

Are there any conditions for trading ina phone, or can it be any camera phone. I have an old Sagem camera phone here I could trade in.

Are there any conditions for trading ina phone, or can it be any camera phone. I have an old Sagem camera phone here I could trade in.

Must be working is the only real conndition.

Charger not needed but you need to charge it up so that they can check it is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Must be working is the only real conndition.

Charger not needed but you need to charge it up so that they can check it is working.
    FYI they told me that is has to have the charger, so bring it along just in case i guess.

also, it can have minor war and tear on it, but screen should work and it must be bootable.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    FYI they told me that is has to have the charger, so bring it along just in case i guess.

also, it can have minor war and tear on it, but screen should work and it must be bootable.

Was it Meteor or 3G Mobile you were in.

In 3G we dont need the chargers.

Shane

Many thaks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Was it Meteor or 3G Mobile you were in.

In 3G we dont need the chargers.

Shane
    sorry should have mentioned it was Meteor. foolishly thought it'd be the same;)

Loving the hero so far but a bit annoyed with the quality of the wi-fi, on my ipod touch I had good signal at work but its awful with the hero, and it fails to pick it up again when I move in range. Also no joy with Vodafone internet settings, hope its all sorted when I get the new firmware.

• Advertisement

Something wrong with your phone or setup.

Wifi is working great on mine. Getting 5Mb connection at home.

Have you checked for other wifi's on the same channel. I use Wifi Analyser (In the apps store)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement