Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Shanio100

Hi Shane

I was hoping you might be able to answer me something, seeing as how you seem to know a lot about the pricing from Meteor. I fancy getting the Hero but am currently contracted to Vodafone so therefore would only be able to get it PAYG.
    Is the price still €390 on that?
    To complicate matters a little further, i got a load of One 4 all vouchers from work there recently and would like to use them to fund the phone. From what I can see the 3G store accept them but Meteor do not? I also have some old mobiles that I could trade in. Can you trade more than 1 phone? For example I'm currently using a Tocco Lite and have a Nokia 6300 classic somewhere too I think. Will they give me €60 off the PAYG do you know? :p

Chancing my arm probably!

Cheers

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Shanio100 wrote: »
    Hi Shane

I was hoping you might be able to answer me something, seeing as how you seem to know a lot about the pricing from Meteor. I fancy getting the Hero but am currently contracted to Vodafone so therefore would only be able to get it PAYG.
    Is the price still €390 on that?
    To complicate matters a little further, i got a load of One 4 all vouchers from work there recently and would like to use them to fund the phone. From what I can see the 3G store accept them but Meteor do not? I also have some old mobiles that I could trade in. Can you trade more than 1 phone? For example I'm currently using a Tocco Lite and have a Nokia 6300 classic somewhere too I think. Will they give me €60 off the PAYG do you know? :p

Chancing my arm probably!

Cheers

S

I am not 100% sure on the pricing on PAYG but i think it is still the same at 399. €390 is the online price on the Meteor Website.

As regards the All4One vouchers i think the all4one card is accepted but not the paper vouchers. (3G Mobile)

Lastly the €30 trade in is only on Billpay not PAYG. It is €20 on PAYG but multiple phones are allowed. (3G Mobile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

The Hero is on Sale in all 3G Mobile and Meteor Stores from Today.

Dont have the full price reductions and is only on PostPay i think but you can check in store.

Shane

Found the Prices

htc hero connect €25 109.99
    htc hero connect €20 89.99
    htc hero connect €50 79.99
    htc hero connect €45 59.99
    htc hero connect €65 79.99
    htc hero connect €60 59.99
    htc hero connect bp surf 79.99
    htc hero connect bp max 79.99

About €30 cheaper if porting

Cheers Shane.
    So if I upgrade in a 3G store, pick connect €45 and trade in 2 camera phones I'll get the phone free?

BigCon wrote: »
    Cheers Shane.
    So if I upgrade in a 3G store, pick connect €45 and trade in 2 camera phones I'll get the phone free?

Pretty much.

€30 per qualifying trade in.

If you have any problems let me know.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Does anyone have any issues with the Youtube App, coming up with File type not recognised (or something to that effect?)

• Advertisement

First post using my new hero! Just getting to grips with it now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Still having trouble connecting to vodafone internet, haven't installed the Modaco ROM yet but it shouldn't make a difference, anyone know why the APN settings given in this thread won't work for me? It's a real pain in the arse, I rang vodafone and they didn't send me settings just directed me to the Tattoo settings online, nothing works! Help please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

The Hero is on Sale in all 3G Mobile and Meteor Stores from Today.

Dont have the full price reductions and is only on PostPay i think but you can check in store.

Shane

Found the Prices

htc hero connect €25 109.99
    htc hero connect €20 89.99
    htc hero connect €50 79.99
    htc hero connect €45 59.99
    htc hero connect €65 79.99
    htc hero connect €60 59.99
    htc hero connect bp surf 79.99
    htc hero connect bp max 79.99

About €30 cheaper if porting

Hi Shane

Do you know what the current price is for PAYG? are they still unlocked out of the box?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Hi Shane

Do you know what the current price is for PAYG? are they still unlocked out of the box?

Prepay is still €399 as far as i know.

Not sure about them being unlocked but all i have come across have been unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Meteor.ie have changed the price of the HTC Hero on Bill pay but there's no change to the PAYG price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

What is Modaco ROM firstly???

Secondly is there such a programme as cabbage or eirtext for the htc hero???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Dave147 wrote: »
    Still having trouble connecting to vodafone internet, haven't installed the Modaco ROM yet but it shouldn't make a difference, anyone know why the APN settings given in this thread won't work for me? It's a real pain in the arse, I rang vodafone and they didn't send me settings just directed me to the Tattoo settings online, nothing works! Help please!
    Are you sure you are entering them EXACTLY as follows?

Name: Vodafone ISP
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    Proxy: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    Port: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    Username: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Server: 0.0.0.0
    MMSC: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Proxy: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Port: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MCC: 272 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MNC: 01 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    APN type: default

Then Save, and you should see an entry titled "Vodafone ISP" with a radio button next to it. Tap the radio button so that it goes green, and your phone should now be good to go for data.

You could also use Vodafone Live:

Name: Vodafone LIVE
    APN: live.vodafone.com
    Proxy: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    Port: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    Username: dublin
    Password: dublin
    Server: 0.0.0.0
    MMSC: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Proxy: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Port: <Not Set> [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MCC: 272 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    MNC: 01 [LEAVE AS DEFAULT]
    APN type: default

Then Save, and you should now see a second entry titled "Vodafone LIVE" with a radio button next to it too. To use the ISP APN, check it's radio button. To use the LIVE APN, check it's radio button instead.

ISP charges you 19c per MB of data transferred
    LIVE charges you 99c per day of use, with up to 50MB of data usage per day.

I got the ISP settings working by rebooting my phone, will try and use the live settings though until I switch back to billpay. The wireless on the Hero isn't as good as my iPod touch so I keep walking out of range at work, would rather just use the mobile Internet so it keeps updating.

Will install modaco rom later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Dave147 wrote: »
    I got the ISP settings working by rebooting my phone, will try and use the live settings though until I switch back to billpay. The wireless on the Hero isn't as good as my iPod touch so I keep walking out of range at work, would rather just use the mobile Internet so it keeps updating.

Will install modaco rom later.

Are you sure its not the wifi going to sleep while in sleep mode? Have had no issues with my wifi.

http://www.thisandroidlife.com/2009/09/htc-hero-tip-prevent-wi-fi-being-turned.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Hi all. Firts let me apologise, I'm sure this have been asked countless times on the thread already. I followed it when it started first up until about page 30/40, and have quickly scanned the last few pages but didn't see my problem there.

My Hero, which I bought on the day it launched in Ireland, will randomly and intermittently seem to lose connexion with the sim card. There doesn't seem to be any reason for why it happens, and it might happen 3/4 times in one day and then not happen again for a few days. The only solution seems to be to turn the phone off and on and it seems to be ok again. The annoying thing is that it gives no warning, so it could be an hour or two before I check the phone to see that it's happened and in that time I could have missed a few calls, emails or messages.

I've checked the sim card and it seems to be fine, and have made sure it's inserted properly and all connexion points are fine.

Anyone else have similar issues or know if I'm doing something wrong myself or if there's a solution?

As an aside; any news on when paid android apps will be coming to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

abelard wrote: »
    My Hero, which I bought on the day it launched in Ireland, will randomly and intermittently seem to lose connexion with the sim card. There doesn't seem to be any reason for why it happens, and it might happen 3/4 times in one day and then not happen again for a few days. The only solution seems to be to turn the phone off and on and it seems to be ok again. The annoying thing is that it gives no warning, so it could be an hour or two before I check the phone to see that it's happened and in that time I could have missed a few calls, emails or messages.

I've checked the sim card and it seems to be fine, and have made sure it's inserted properly and all connexion points are fine.

Anyone else have similar issues or know if I'm doing something wrong myself or if there's a solution?
    Take it you are on meteor? If so, this has been reported by a few people both here and over on meteor's own forums. Problem is something to do with Meteor's network, since I have a Hero which works flawlessly on Vodafone but never once made it through the day on Meteor without having to be reset.

One "fix" is to force the phone to use 2G (GSM) only:
    Menu > Settings > Wireless controls > Mobile network settings > Use only 2G networks (tick the box).

This will switch you to the slower EDGE network - be warned this brings about its own set of problems though! If you'd rather not lose 3G, where available, then use the Airplane mode on the phone - switching the phone into Airplane mode and then back out again will bring the coverage back, saving you having to reboot the phone each time.

Got the isp.vodafone.ie settings working but havingbno such luck with the vodafone live settings, I'm on PAYG so I really need to use Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Kensington wrote: »
    If you'd rather not lose 3G, where available, then use the Airplane mode on the phone - switching the phone into Airplane mode and then back out again will bring the coverage back, saving you having to reboot the phone each time.

I'll try this next time it happens. Props to you if it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I've said it a few times but I'm with Vodafone, not meteor and my phone can randomly lose network although I don't have to turn off my phone, it just asks for my pin number so I don't know if it's exclusively a meteor problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Prices on BillPay now ranging from 70 to 40 euro with no difference between the 12 and 18 month contracts.
    Tempting, eh ?
    This SIM/network dropping is putting me right off though ... is it on ALL handsets ?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Prices on BillPay now ranging from 70 to 40 euro with no difference between the 12 and 18 month contracts.
    Tempting, eh ?
    This SIM/network dropping is putting me right off though ... is it on ALL handsets ?

I got mine as a billpay upgrade two days in a 3g store (meteor). I've been using it practically nonstop since and it hasn't happened at all. I'm in an area with both 3g and 2g coverage.
    Takes a bit of getting used to, but can honestly say its an amazing device...

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    What is Modaco ROM firstly???

Secondly is there such a programme as cabbage or eirtext for the htc hero???

BUMP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Modaco ROM is an optimised version of the Heros OS that people with rooted phones can install. Im not sure what extra features are in its current version but you can find all infor on the xda-developers forum.

Im not sure if theres a native app for Irish users but Cabbage runs in the Heros Java VM app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

All info on Modaco ROM here. Heard of google anyone?

http://android.modaco.com/category/409/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/

Modaco ROM is an optimised version of the Heros OS that people with rooted phones can install. Im not sure what extra features are in its current version but you can find all infor on the xda-developers forum.

Im not sure if theres a native app for Irish users but Cabbage runs in the Heros Java VM app

Where do i get that Java VM app??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Where do i get that Java VM app??
    i looked up java vm in the market, but it only listed one, and it looked suspicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    i looked up java vm in the market, but it only listed one, and it looked suspicious..
    It isnt the Netmite one(never tried that). Its one made by HTC just for the SENSE Android phones like the Hero afaik. I thought it was on all the Hero roms. Did Meteor remove this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

It isnt the Netmite one(never tried that). Its one made by HTC just for the SENSE Android phones like the Hero afaik. I thought it was on all the Hero roms. Did Meteor remove this?
    isnt on my meteor hero anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

To the people having SIM card issues, I really think they just haven't seated them properly. The lock is a bit flimsy from what I can see. I had the exact same issue for the first couple of days with my phone, but since I re-seated the card and locked it again I haven't had a single issue. So try with a new SIM card and lock it properly before blaming the Meteor network, which works great for me.

• Advertisement

Anyone else find the signal on Vodafone network is very bad? Rooted the phone but haven't updated the firmware yet, hopefully it'll speed up the phone when I do as it can lag badly, even after using taskiller.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement