Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

How do you update the firmware and is it difficult to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

From what I've read about the android2 enhancements,
    there is little it can do, that the HTC v1.5 android + "Sense UI" can't.

The Hero already has multitouch etc.

What does a HTC Hero user get by taking v2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

T-Square wrote: »
    What does a HTC Hero user get by taking v2?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0-highlights.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Dave147 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the signal on Vodafone network is very bad? Rooted the phone but haven't updated the firmware yet, hopefully it'll speed up the phone when I do as it can lag badly, even after using taskiller.
    No problems for me on Vodafone anyway. Granted, the 3G network can be a little patchy in certain places which causes the phone to drop back to painfully slow GPRS but it's very rare I suffer any sort of lag on Vodafone otherwise.

Mr E wrote: »

The camera zoom, and an improved keyboard,
    to be fair, that isn't a big deal, just my two cents though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭breeno

T-Square wrote: »
    The camera zoom, and an improved keyboard,
    to be fair, that isn't a big deal, just my two cents though.

There'll also be a free Google GPS system, proper GPS turn by turn. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/announcing-google-maps-navigation-for.html

As well as that, I assume any future applications will be developed for android 2.0 and above so the older version 1.5 or 1.6 software may not be able to run some new applications going forward (I could be wrong on this)

Also, the system should hopefully be smoother and more reliable. I'm personally looking forward to it. While it's not going to make the Hero a whole new phone or infinitely better, every little improvement is welcome in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Kensington wrote: »
    If you'd rather not lose 3G, where available, then use the Airplane mode on the phone - switching the phone into Airplane mode and then back out again will bring the coverage back, saving you having to reboot the phone each time.

This didn't work for me after :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

abelard wrote: »
    This didn't work for me after :(
    It won't stop the network from dropping. It just saves you having to power cycle the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 aurelio

Dave147 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the signal on Vodafone network is very bad? Rooted the phone but haven't updated the firmware yet, hopefully it'll speed up the phone when I do as it can lag badly, even after using taskiller.

Are you using a fast Sd card? I found that made a big difference....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Is anyone using Opera Mini on the Hero ?
    Does the Java app come on the standard Meteor build ?
    How does it look/ control ?
    Can you scroll by touch ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

long_b wrote: »
    Is anyone using Opera Mini on the Hero ?
    Does the Java app come on the standard Meteor build ?
    How does it look/ control ?
    Can you scroll by touch ?

Can't answer the first 2, but will answer what I can.

It looks very well, and controls very smooth. I am really impressed with it.
    You can scroll by touch, I haven't used the trackball at all yet, and I have it a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Kensington wrote: »
    It won't stop the network from dropping. It just saves you having to power cycle the phone.

Oh I know that, but switching to airplane mode and back made no difference at all.

Cycling airplane mode achieves the following
    It tears down the telecoms stack on the phone,
    When exiting airplane mode the telecoms stack is reinitialized.

If you cannot connect to the network after doing this you have other problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Anyone buy a Hero lately, interested to know if they are still unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Rooted the brother in laws Hero a few days back and it looks like Meteors latest Hero roms need to be down graded in order to flash recovery image etc. Took a lot of messing around to root it but eventually figured it out using the following guide. Usual goverment health warnings apply

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=572683

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Dman001 wrote: »
    Anyone buy a Hero lately, interested to know if they are still unlocked.

I got one two weeks before christmas, posted out directly from meteor when I rang looking for an upgrade. The handset was unlocked (a three.ie sim worked fine in it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Something odd happened to my Hero, battery ran out last night and didnt bother to charge it until this morning. When I hooked up the usb cable to it the red light comes on for a bit then it flashes green, then red etc..

Let it there for an hour, tried turning it on but would only get as far as Hero before turning off again, now theres no light and wont charge.

Going to have to bring it back tomorrow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

exiot wrote: »
    Something odd happened to my Hero, battery ran out last night and didnt bother to charge it until this morning. When I hooked up the usb cable to it the red light comes on for a bit then it flashes green, then red etc..

Let it there for an hour, tried turning it on but would only get as far as Hero before turning off again, now theres no light and wont charge.

Going to have to bring it back tomorrow I think

Are you charging it from the computer or the power socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Quick one lads, are there various profiles available to select on the hero, in comparison to say a nokia where you can select a number of profiles like meeting,silent,general and personalise them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

eireal wrote: »
    Quick one lads, are there various profiles available to select on the hero, in comparison to say a nokia where you can select a number of profiles like meeting,silent,general and personalise them?

Yes, they are called Scenes.

Press the Menu button when on the home screen Scenes will be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Use the volume button at the side - hold down 'down' and it will go to vibrate mode. When its in this if you press the volume up button once it goes to complete silent mode. And for the rest, you can control that yourself, the higher the volume the higher the ringtones etc will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I picked up my HTC yesterday. First thoughts, impressed with it, if more or less entirely befuddled as what to do with it. I mean this in a positive way - there seems to be no limits with this device. Initial use is quite tricky (i've never owned a touchscreen before), but getting there quite quickly.

One issue (not with the phone) - is there a PC suite or app available to manage/edit the contacts en masse? I imported my contacts from the SIM which was previously in my Sony Ericsson, which does this really irritating thing of formatting the contacts as "lastname;firstnam/1", and a char limit. I've been going through manually but its a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Proxy wrote: »
    I picked up my HTC yesterday. First thoughts, impressed with it, if more or less entirely befuddled as what to do with it. I mean this in a positive way - there seems to be no limits with this device. Initial use is quite tricky (i've never owned a touchscreen before), but getting there quite quickly.

One issue (not with the phone) - is there a PC suite or app available to manage/edit the contacts en masse? I imported my contacts from the SIM which was previously in my Sony Ericsson, which does this really irritating thing of formatting the contacts as "lastname;firstnam/1", and a char limit. I've been going through manually but its a pain!

had the same issue with the contacts. if you sinc the old sony ericsson with with your PC (assuming old phone still works and it's a windows machine) using the SE PC suite it will store all your contacts as they are. then, using the Hero PC suite, sinc the PC with your new phone. . .happy days, exactly as they were on the old handset :D

separate issue: does anybody know of bluetooth fixes with the new firmware? stupid hero won't stream to the car kit, hands-free calls work fine but it won't stream music :( i've read of similar but opposite:confused: issues online. i'm back to my w995 until i can source a fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Proxy wrote: »

Just saw there that someone wrote an app to import contacts from Zyb.com - maybe someone has tried that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

long_b wrote: »
    Just saw there that someone wrote an app to import contacts from Zyb.com - maybe someone has tried that ?

I tried that and it worked fine (except I did it twice for some reason and sync'd with my Google contacts, ending up with multiple entries of the same contact).

In the end I deleted all contacts from the hero, then exported all my contacts from ZYB and imported them into Google contacts. I merged duplicates (handy to do in Google contacts and then sync'd Google contacts with the hero. Worked fine and there's always a copy of your contacts on Google.

I think it's cool the way it links your contacts to Facebook and shows you updates in your contacts...

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys, looking at getting a 2nd hand HTC Hero. Just wondering, some of the ones I'm looking at are saying G2 and others G3. What's the difference? Also what should I expect to pay for a used Hero?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Finally got a Hero over the weekend! Ordered from Meteor online for €70 (Connect 25 plan) but quickly got a dose of can't-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-it. Off I popped into town to the Meteor shop. Huge queue so said I'd chance the 3G mobile shop. Glad I did! Showed them my online order email and they agreed to beat the price by €10, i.e. sell it for €60. They also gave me a €30 'trade in', bringing the price down to €30! Unlike what has been posted previously about Meteor shops having a trade 'list', they were happy to take any phone with a camera. She also seemed to suggest that the phone didn't necessarily need to be working either! They're pretty trusting too - allowing me to bring in the old phone this week, rather than requiring it on the day. They also allowed me a free month's data access, saving another fiver. Not a bad deal all in all! Unfortunately it looks like Meteor won't cancel online orders (:rolleyes:), but I can just return it to them unopened.

Coming from a HTC Diamond, my first impressions are: wow - what a difference! Much simpler to use and the interface is a joy compared to Windows Mobile! Screen also seems much 'nicer', despite only having half the resolution.
    Negatives - coming from WinMo, Android's simplicity is almost too much, as you can't seem to get really into the guts of the settings etc. I can't get it to sync with my Exchange email for love nor money - and would it be too much to ask for a 'kill task' buttons in applications? Overall though, very happy with it!

BTW: the phone I got from the shop was unlocked. My number still doesn't seem to have been transferred to Meteor so I'm happily using my O2 sim in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yenwod wrote: »
    I've said it a few times but I'm with Vodafone, not meteor and my phone can randomly lose network although I don't have to turn off my phone, it just asks for my pin number so I don't know if it's exclusively a meteor problem!

Actually I'm getting this too. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Hi All,

I went into a meteor store on Saturday to buy a Hero on Connect 20 plan. Done everything and the girl charged me 109.99. I told her that it was cheaper online and that I saw it for 69.99. She then said "oh no that would have been on Connect 40 plan."

So I paid. Now i see that I was right and that it was 69.99. She over charged me by 40euro. Im disgusted now!

Any advice here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,520 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go back and talk to her.
    No big conspiracy here, she made a mistake. Should be easily rectified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement