Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daayms

nellocon wrote: »
    Hi All,

I went into a meteor store on Saturday to buy a Hero on Connect 20 plan. Done everything and the girl charged me 109.99. I told her that it was cheaper online and that I saw it for 69.99. She then said "oh no that would have been on Connect 40 plan."

So I paid. Now i see that I was right and that it was 69.99. She over charged me by 40euro. Im disgusted now!

Any advice here?
    well first thing o'd do is go back to the store and ask them to return your 40 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

Hi guys,

Well Finally got my hero on Christmas day, Few things i need help with

Anyone no a good Application that i can down
    1. MMS (I want to be able to receive Picture msg)
    2. SD Memory Card (I want to be able to view whats on my memory card)
    3. Bluetooth (I want to be able to receive Bluetooth ring tones)

PS... I'v set my phone up facebook, And it will only send me a notification of a friend request but no notifications to say I have A new comment... Any tips?

I no these questions have probably been asked before but I'v scrolled back as far as page 92 and can't find anything
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

I use Astro file explorer to browse the sd card and use Bluetooth File Transfer to do the bluetooth transfers. both are on the android market

you need to upgrade to 2.0 to get full bluetooth functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

gerkeo wrote: »
    I use Astro file explorer to browse the sd card and use Bluetooth File Transfer to do the bluetooth transfers. both are on the android market

you need to upgrade to 2.0 to get full bluetooth functionality.

How do i do this???

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

How do i do this???
    As far as I know all Heros are 2.0? You should be able to get MMS already I can send and recieve them the same as a text message anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

mooman wrote: »
    As far as I know all Heros are 2.0? You should be able to get MMS already I can send and recieve them the same as a text message anyway

Not at all.
    All heros are 1.5 + sense UI.
    HTC has promised to update to 2.0 "soon in 2010".
    Thats in line with nexus/droid etc which might be getting a refreshed Sense UI for high res displays too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

nellocon wrote: »
    Hi All,

I went into a meteor store on Saturday to buy a Hero on Connect 20 plan. Done everything and the girl charged me 109.99. I told her that it was cheaper online and that I saw it for 69.99. She then said "oh no that would have been on Connect 40 plan."

So I paid. Now i see that I was right and that it was 69.99. She over charged me by 40euro. Im disgusted now!

Any advice here?

110 is the upgrade price - I just got charged it too. I was moving from Bill Pay Lite to the same plan as you.

Very confusing altogether !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

nmesisca wrote: »
    Not at all.
    Thats in line with nexus/droid etc which might be getting a refreshed Sense UI for high res displays too.

Nexus is actually Android 2.1, not sure if there is much of a difference from 2.0 though.

For my two cents, the fact that the Hero will be skipping 1.6 in favour of a straight jump to 2.0 is disappointing - moving from 1.5 to 1.6 on my G1 allowed me to access a lot more applications (including turn-by-turn driving directions)

Nexus is actually Android 2.1, not sure if there is much of a difference from 2.0 though.

For my two cents, the fact that the Hero will be skipping 1.6 in favour of a straight jump to 2.0 is disappointing - moving from 1.5 to 1.6 on my G1 allowed me to access a lot more applications (including turn-by-turn driving directions)

yeah I was referring to a 2.x update to Sense UI which they have to come out with seeing as most of the new phones are high res.

sense ui is as much of a blessing as it is a curse.. its cool looking but its so tightly integrated in the OS that simply updating the underlying OS breaks it.
    however, even the HTC Magic (branded ones) have been left to their own devices (pun intended) as to upgrade paths. im still waiting for an official update from 1.5 ! GOD BLESS XDA!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

. I can't get it to sync with my Exchange email for love nor money

Just to follow up on my earlier message: a bit of searching reveals a major problem with the Hero - it won't sync with many companies' Exchange push email. It's apparently very common for companies running Exchange to configure a setting requiring mobile device users to enter a PIN before starting their phone for security reasons (mine does). My Diamond had no problems with this. Unfortunately it seems Android can't handle this - i.e. you can't sync with Exchange if your company uses this policy. That's a pretty serious oversight by Google! I can live without email on the go but have got pretty used to it at this stage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Nobody should allow exchange access to any mobile device without requiring a form of authentication.

Its security 101

Hard to belive the Hero doesn't support it.

Let me take a look at mine, hang on a sec.................

.....I looks for a password, but I'm having trouble conneting,
    does it cache the password?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 raptor_strife

Assuming you have a data add-on here they are :)

Internet
    Name: O2 ISP
    APN: Internet

MMS
    Name: O2 MMS
    APN: wap.dol.ie
    Proxy : 62.40.32.40
    Port: 8080
    Username: user
    Password: user
    Server: http://www.o2.ie
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.ie:8002
    proxy address: 62.40.32.40
    proxy port: 8080

Anything not there can be left blank or at its default

I have exactly these settings but can neither send nor receive MMS.. Internet is working fine. I'm at my wit's end, does anyone have any ideas?

Found these settings on the o2 forums but they also don't work for me...
    Name: o2 MMS
    APN: internet
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN type: mms

Name: o2 Internet
    APN: internet
    Proxy: 62.40.32.40
    Username: <not set>
    Password: <not set>
    MMS Proxy 62.40.32.40
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 02
    APN type: <not set>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

New unofficial 2.0 rom out for the Hero.

http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1743

KaguDroid 1.0 (version beta)
    This looks to be the most stable 2.0 rom out there according to reports and I can confirm its very stable and fast. Note it does not contain htc sense or htc widgets etc as its bog standard Android. Think I'll be keeping this till the official 2.1 release unless I find a major bug. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Goldman82

nmesisca wrote: »
    Not at all.

Awesome!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Dingatron wrote: »

This looks to be the most stable 2.0 rom out there according to reports and I can confirm its very stable and fast. Note it does not contain htc sense or htc widgets etc as its bog standard Android. Think I'll be keeping this till the official 2.1 release unless I find a major bug. :cool:
    does it have bluetooth file sharing support for the hero?

Will check it out tomorrow. Using linux at the min and its not working correctly though there could be a multitude of reasons why its not. Got Google Nav working though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Are Meteor still selling unlocked Heroes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

MrMan wrote: »

Bought one in a meteor shop the other day and its locked. Might just be the online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

MrMan wrote: »
    squared wrote: »
    Bought one in a meteor shop the other day and its locked. Might just be the online store.

Bought one Saturday in a 3G store and it's unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Bought one Saturday in a 3G store and it's unlocked.

Anyway of knowing if its unlocked before handing over cash ? or is it just luck ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I'm picking up a HTC Hero tonight hopefully :) Locked to Orange UK though.

I know it can be locked in various shops in Dublin etc but I was wondering if there's a way of doing it online (so I can get to play with it tonight!)

Don't have unlock code unfortunately.

Dublin579 wrote: »

I know it can be locked in various shops in Dublin etc but I was wondering if there's a way of doing it online (so I can get to play with it tonight!)

I think all the ones sold in Ireland are unlocked. You can get it unlocked in the shop, they cant refuse. they may ask for 10-15euro though.

i unlocked my old G1 from ebay but that costed me a bit more. about 20euro I think. you should check the xda forums I think i remember seeing a thread about unlocking android phones..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Sounds good, does it have Google Navigation Software built in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I just won one on ebay with the same setup :o

does it have bluetooth file sharing support for the hero?

I couldn't get bluetooth file sharing working with the 2.0 rom. Ordinary BT conections do however work.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I just won one on ebay with the same setup :o

Ha! Yeah you just outbid me you fecker!!! Was high bidder till the last 10 seconds.

Well played sir, well played :)

Back to adverts.ie for me :(

Ha! Yeah you just outbid me you fecker!!! Was high bidder till the last 10 seconds.

Well played sir, well played :)

Back to adverts.ie for me :(

Sorry dude! Been watching it for 6 days. Got pushed to my highest bid (1.27 higher than the next highest). Hope ya have good luck with adverts!

If its any consolation I badly needed a new phone!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Sorry dude! Been watching it for 6 days. Got pushed to my highest bid (1.27 higher than the next highest). Hope ya have good luck with adverts!

If its any consolation I badly needed a new phone!

Not at all, best of luck with the new phone :)

How much are the Hero's going for on e-bay guys and are they new or 2nd hand?

• Advertisement

How much are the Hero's going for on e-bay guys and are they new or 2nd hand?

Picked up mine new and locked. Cost 335 shipped though it was an Irish seller. Got it mainly because I can't stand white phones (teflon or no).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement