Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The gadget-whore inside me wants me to sell my hero and get a Nexus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

+1. I need to resist the urge. Cyanogen who makes amazing roms is getting one which makes me want to switch. Can't justify it though and there's plenty of life in the Hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Exactly how I feel. Also Sense UI is keeping the Hero in my good books!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Just came back from Brussels. Saw few in Car House's (the same as The Carphone Warehouse me thinks)for 299e white ones, not in all shops though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Exactly how I feel. Also Sense UI is keeping the Hero in my good books!
    Less then a month and thatll be running on the Nexus One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

From the Q&A Session at the Nexus One launch:
    Q: Will these new features soon be coming to the Droid (or other Android handsets)
    RUBIN: Everyone will get that software within a couple of days.

Could it be that HTC were holding back on releasing Android 2.1 for the Hero until after the Nexus One launch. Hopefully, like Rubin says, there will be an official HTC Hero Android 2.1 upgrade in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

plazzTT wrote: »

Could it be that HTC were holding back on releasing Android 2.1 for the Hero until after the Nexus One launch. Hopefully, like Rubin says, there will be an official HTC Hero Android 2.1 upgrade in a few days.

Maybe, but I doubt it. Nexus One is the first phone to come out with 2.1 - it's not like Google were sitting on it for anytime- and there's bound to be a period for HTC to port over the Sense UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

plazzTT wrote: »

That just means the 2.1 code will be released to the open source library in a couple of days.Not that phones will get the updates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

Can any one tell me can i update my htc hero to android 2.0 its currently on firmware 1.5? if so where do I go to do it? is it difficult to do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hi I'm Soup and I love my new HERO but for the love of god can someone tell my why my phone only rings once for an incoming call!!! Very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Can any one tell me can i update my htc hero to android 2.0 its currently on firmware 1.5? if so where do I go to do it? is it difficult to do it??

No you cant. HTc website will have it once its available.

The code will become officially open source but hasnt HTC said they are working with it already?

Some more info:

http://techfeen.com/android-2-1-is-coming-to-everyone-within-a-few-days/

Hi I'm Soup and I love my new HERO but for the love of god can someone tell my why my phone only rings once for an incoming call!!! Very annoying.

Im getting exactly the same problem but it happens randomly. Its driving me crazy. I dont think its phone settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

iknorr wrote: »
    Im getting exactly the same problem but it happens randomly. Its driving me crazy. I dont think its phone settings.

Its in this thread already how to fix it

Way, way back!!

Farls wrote: »
    Its in this thread already how to fix it

Way, way back!!

but isnt that permanent. Mine seems to be random., sometimes its rings "long" other times its for about 2 second

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

About to get HTC Hero on Meteor. Couple of questions, apologies if they've been answered before!

1. My 3g internet requirements are very low - (do I really need to know instantly what Facebook friends are doing?!). I'm happy to use WiFi and occasionally I'm sure it'd be handy to be able to connect wherever I am. Will Hero/Meteor allow me to turn off all data streaming while switched to 2g (apparently Hero loses calls/texts when on 2g with data streaming coming through EDGE)? How easy is it to switch on 3g for those occasions I want to surf?

2. Vodafone & O2 are doing Sky Sports TV packages - any word that Meteor will join the mobile tv wagon?

3. Is Meteor coverage okay in North County Dublin?

Thanks!

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

acdublin wrote: »
    1. My 3g internet requirements are very low - (do I really need to know instantly what Facebook friends are doing?!). I'm happy to use WiFi and occasionally I'm sure it'd be handy to be able to connect wherever I am.
    Doesnt sound like you need this phone IMO. You wont get your moneys worth if your not going to be using a data plan. The majority of the "cool" apps use up-to-date info. Its pointless getting this phone if your not getting a data plan.

As for turning off the data, i think you can, but ive not done it, why would I?

On my home screens alone, ive 16 apps that require the internet if I want to use em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭28064212

acdublin wrote: »
    1. My 3g internet requirements are very low - (do I really need to know instantly what Facebook friends are doing?!). I'm happy to use WiFi and occasionally I'm sure it'd be handy to be able to connect wherever I am. Will Hero/Meteor allow me to turn off all data streaming while switched to 2g (apparently Hero loses calls/texts when on 2g with data streaming coming through EDGE)? How easy is it to switch on 3g for those occasions I want to surf?
    There's a free app on the Market called APNDroid. It allows you to put a widget on the home screen for disabling/enabling data at a touch, doesn't affect your WiFi
    Doesnt sound like you need this phone IMO. You wont get your moneys worth if your not going to be using a data plan. The majority of the "cool" apps use up-to-date info. Its pointless getting this phone if your not getting a data plan.

As for turning off the data, i think you can, but ive not done it, why would I?

On my home screens alone, ive 16 apps that require the internet if I want to use em.
    Don't agree at all. 90% of the time, when I want to use an app that uses data, I'm within range of a wireless network. For the 10% of the time I'm not, I'll switch on the mobile data. Not nearly worth me getting a data plan. And while many of the "cool" apps do need data, many of the functional ones don't (or at least, not always-on connections).

Plus, Gensoid and Nesoid FTW

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭acdublin

Thanks so much for both of those replies. It's not that I won't take a data plan -I will but probably just 250mb a month.
    You wont get your moneys worth

The Hero really isn't very expensive comparitively. €70 up front and €5 a month data plan is a small price to pay in my mind to be able to surf occasionally when I'm out and about. Just cos a phone has features doesn't mean I have to use them! I'm definitely more in the functional phone use category.

APNDroid sounds useful and I'll probably go for it.

North County Dublin any good for Meteor? Sky Sports on Meteor anyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

28064212 wrote: »
    There's a free app on the Market called APNDroid. It allows you to put a widget on the home screen for disabling/enabling data at a touch, doesn't affect your WiFi

No need to download an app, it come with one installed.
    The HTC settings widget "Mobile Network" will toggle on and off mobile data.

dloob wrote: »
    No need to download an app, it come with one installed.
    The HTC settings widget "Mobile Network" will toggle on and off mobile data.
    Touché, I own the Samsung Galaxy Spica, not the Hero, so don't have the HTC goodness on top of the Android base. This is just the most active Android thread on Boards :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Time for an Android forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

Mr E wrote: »

x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

One more in favour over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

squared wrote: »

+1

I've bumped the last Android forum request.

Show your support.

Given there's already nearly as many Android devices as there are Apple ones, and it's going to bypass it soon enough, definitely. Go here and vote for it

EDIT: wp Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

squared wrote: »

I think we'd be better severed by a smartphone forum, for:
    Android, Apple OS, Web OS, Bada, Symbian, Maemo, Windows, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think we'd be better severed by a smartphone forum, for:
    Android, Apple OS, Web OS, Bada, Symbian, Maemo, Windows, etc...
    Anybody any idea when these will be back in stock in Meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any recommended screen protectors or carry cases for the Hero? Just got mine recently but would like a little extra protection!

• Advertisement

I installed MCR 3.1 RC1, and its even nippier than 3.0.
    Only available to Modaco paid subscribers, but I'd say it will be a public release later today or tomorrow. Fixes wireless tether too, which is nice.

They're also creating a ROM Kitchen, where you can bake your own ROM (with whatever apps/addons you want). Really cool idea. Don't want HTC's mail app? Untick. Don't want the Peep Twitter app? Untick. Then click the button to download the custom ROM with your apps added/removed automatically. More info here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement