Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Lukker- wrote: »
    Any recommended screen protectors or carry cases for the Hero? Just got mine recently but would like a little extra protection!

Just bought this and this, they should be here tomorrow I'll let ya know if they're any good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Any recommended screen protectors or carry cases for the Hero? Just got mine recently but would like a little extra protection!

I've ordered this:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370286971074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_955wt_1165

And the case is the worst thing I've ever seen of its kind in my life. Screen protector is ok, no probs with using touch panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Quick question...I will be using my Hero roaming quite a lot and have the widgets for turning the wireless communications off. I have everything off at the moment but if I was to leave GPS on would this cost me anything? Excuse the completely stupid question:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭28064212

EPM wrote: »
    Quick question...I will be using my Hero roaming quite a lot and have the widgets for turning the wireless communications off. I have everything off at the moment but if I was to leave GPS on would this cost me anything? Excuse the completely stupid question:o
    Nope, nothing (other than battery life). You won't be able to use anything that combines data with GPS, like Google Maps which downloads the displays on the go, but anything that just uses standalone GPS is fine

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

28064212 wrote: »
    Nope, nothing (other than battery life). You won't be able to use anything that combines data with GPS, like Google Maps which downloads the displays on the go, but anything that just uses standalone GPS is fine

Thanking you;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I can't get it to sync with my Exchange email for love nor money

I had been able to use my exchange account perfectly -which was very handy for contact and calendar management as well as the email- but since the end of December it is only working sporadically, and I frequently get: Cannot connect to Exchange server error messages. Not sure if it's the phone or my exchange account, but don't have any problems with accessing the email on my laptop. I am on Vodafone network.

Was just wondering if anyone had noticed any similar recent problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I'm using ActiveSync without any issues. On meteor. Works fine whether using mobile network or WiFi.

Mr E wrote: »
    I installed MCR 3.1 RC1, and its even nippier than 3.0.
    Only available to Modaco paid subscribers, but I'd say it will be a public release later today or tomorrow. Fixes wireless tether too, which is nice.

Upgraded to 3.1 RC2 yesterday, the phone is flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Is it worth the effort to "upgrage". I couldnt be bothered having to look after the phone, long term, as in checking for little tweaks and changes that are insignificant. Is it "significant "

Have ye heard that google maybe getting sued over the Nexus one? http://techfeen.com/google-in-trouble-over-nexus-one/

iknorr wrote: »
    Is it worth the effort to "upgrage". I couldnt be bothered having to look after the phone, long term, as in checking for little tweaks and changes that are insignificant. Is it "significant "
    [/URL]

Is it significant? - I would say yes.
    Is it worth the effort - it really personal choice, up to you. I can't stand the thought that I have something which can be tweaked to run better/faster and I haven't done it yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

fair point. Its just like me ...but lately iv been choosing to be carefree rather than mingle with tech stuff. I think the official 2.1 update has something to do with it also. Rumours are floating about of it being released about the 12th of jan. I think ill hold on til then and see if its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

I got these (screen protector and clear protective skin) about a month ago and am very happy with both. I notice no difference with the phone functionality and am no longer scared to hold it!!

I believe both products can be purchased of ebay cheaper but I couldn't be bothered and just ordered them from that webasite. Took about a week to arrive just before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Given wrong unlock code! only 2 goes left. Anyone suggest a good site w/ quick turnover please?

Also wat happens if I get it wrong twice more?

appears i need to root actually! but need an orange sim 1st. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

iknorr wrote: »
    fair point. Its just like me ...but lately iv been choosing to be carefree rather than mingle with tech stuff. I think the official 2.1 update has something to do with it also. Rumours are floating about of it being released about the 12th of jan. I think ill hold on til then and see if its true.

You're not as much of a tinker as some people on here so.

Eh, tinkerer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

IH77 wrote: »
    I got these (screen protector and clear protective skin) about a month ago and am very happy with both. I notice no difference with the phone functionality and am no longer scared to hold it!!

I believe both products can be purchased of ebay cheaper but I couldn't be bothered and just ordered them from that webasite. Took about a week to arrive just before Christmas.

Cheers pal, just ordered both. I know what you mean, I'm almost scared to bring it outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

New official rom update available:

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=840

Edit: Looks to be nothing special, just a few tweaks for 3 mobile users really...

Anyone know if the Meteor Heros have any branding on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

long_b wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Meteor Heros have any branding on them ?

They don't.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Easy Rider wrote: »
    New official rom update available:

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=840

Edit: Looks to be nothing special, just a few tweaks for 3 mobile users really...
    Where did you find out what the tweaks were? Or did you just try it yourself?

Cheers

Google. Found a blog on it. Will have a look for it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Anyone know if the ROM update has a fix for the exchange sync problem?

Looks like it is just an update as the previous ROM but really only for 3 mobile users for the speeds tweeks etc:

http://www.slashgear.com/gsm-htc-hero-update-released-0869122/

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Hey All,

I have Samsung Pixon with Vodafone and thinking switching to Meteor 85 euro a month billpay coz its unlimited txt calls anytime. Id love to wait for Nexus One to come out but can get HTC Hero with Meteor now without waiting for 49 euro (19 trade in).

I love my tech fones, sony p800 p990, pixon and such
    so Hero looks to be one of best around at mo. Not itunes fan.

Now Vodafone will have 32GB ifone in Feb, but meteors all in one price, they have Edge and only 12 months contract as opposed to 18 with o2 voda for the iphones.

So With HTC Hero hopefully getting 2.1 android OS in coming week
    What do folks think? just take pounce and get the Hero.

Only Downside is 2.1 isnt released, and nexus looks great and more power
    but i can live without that as long as 2.1 does actually get released for hero.

So really just hoping for some Hero Users here to say Hero Riocks and I wont be sorry in 6 months. Any feedback appreciated

Thanks all...

kevin2me wrote: »
    Hey All,

I have Samsung Pixon with Vodafone and thinking switching to Meteor 85 euro a month billpay coz its unlimited txt calls anytime. Id love to wait for Nexus One to come out but can get HTC Hero with Meteor now without waiting for 49 euro (19 trade in).

Now Vodafone will have 32GB ifone in Feb, but meteors all in one price, they have Edge and only 12 months contract as opposed to 18 with o2 voda for the iphones.

So really just hoping for some Hero Users here to say Hero Riocks and I wont be sorry in 6 months. Any feedback appreciated

Thanks all...

There's a jigabyte of data with that plan too - happy days !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hey guys. Got my custom rom and unlocked my phone. :D Can anyone tell me if there are custom radios or just generic?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Hey guys. Got my custom rom and unlocked my phone. :D Can anyone tell me if there are custom radios or just generic?

just generic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

kevin2me wrote: »
    Hey All,

Thanks all...

The Hero has a lot of problems on the Meteor network, this is one thing you need to be wary about - the two prominent ones being it keeps losing coverage from their 3G network (without warning, and requiring you to manually power off/on the phone or switch Airplane mode on/off to get coverage back) and you cannot sync properly with Gmail. There's threads over on Meteor's own forum (with no official response from Meteor other than "we're looking into it"). There's also many posts on the issues further back in this thread.

On another network, it's a superb phone, best phone I've had so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

Having had it from the week of the Meteor launch, it's a great phone, best gadget I ever bought, does everything I want and more.
    As for the Meteor issues, I agree- while they are reasonably-priced, the coverage for me is great, speeds are great, BUT, they are not supporting the Hero as they should- Google Calendar and Contacts don't sync, and the Twitter app doesn't sync either over Meteor's network. I have every hope these issues will be solved; as far as I can tell, the issues are just caused by ports being blocked by Meteor, but they are dragging their feet on this, they've had 3 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

karlr42 wrote: »
    Having had it from the week of the Meteor launch, it's a great phone, best gadget I ever bought, does everything I want and more.
    As for the Meteor issues, I agree- while they are reasonably-priced, the coverage for me is great, speeds are great, BUT, they are not supporting the Hero as they should- Google Calendar and Contacts don't sync, and the Twitter app doesn't sync either over Meteor's network. I have every hope these issues will be solved; as far as I can tell, the issues are just caused by ports being blocked by Meteor, but they are dragging their feet on this, they've had 3 months now.

Regarding the built in Twitter App, if you install "Swift App for Twitter" it works fine on the Meteor Network. Better app than the built in one i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Meteor are most definitely blocking ports on the data.mymeteor.ie APN!

If you're using Twitdroid, just turn SSL on, it seems to get past the Meteor data mess.

Menu-Settings, and you'll find it in there somewhere!

You can also get the pro version of Twitdroid via the app's own website.

Buy via PayPal + upgrade to the pro version, it's kinda nice to be able to change themes and stuff.

It sends an email with a link, open the email in your HTC Hero email, click the link, it should give you an option of opening it with Twitdroid and voila, you've just purchased from the android market!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement