Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gtj10

Can anybody help me out?? My stock meteor hero hasnt connected to the mobile network for the internet for a few days, calls and texts are fine. I went into the apn setting and retyped them and it connects fine now and the apps can use the internet but the browser wont connect at all. Ive download other browsers and the same thing. Anyone have this problem or know of a solution??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

gtj10 wrote: »
    Can anybody help me out?? My stock meteor hero hasnt connected to the mobile network for the internet for a few days, calls and texts are fine. I went into the apn setting and retyped them and it connects fine now and the apps can use the internet but the browser wont connect at all. Ive download other browsers and the same thing. Anyone have this problem or know of a solution??

Checkout this post ... might explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gtj10

hk797 wrote: »
    Checkout this post ... might explain it.

Cheers, but i have full signal and all my other apps that require mobile data are working its just the browsers that wont work. Its weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

I'm not even on Meteor and I had the same issue, was working great for a few days, and then it just suddenly stopped. Market would work, but Browser wouldnt. I downloaded other browsers and the same except for Opera Mini, I was able to get webpages up on that.

I've since connected to WIFI, and initially the page took ages to load but now it seems all fine....problem is I have no idea what the issue was :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I know the weather's bad but this is what the Meteor Forum is saying at 11:00
    "Thank you for posting on Meteor talk to us.

It is currently outside of Meteor talk to us Opening Hours so your post will not be visible straight away. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
    Once Meteor talk to us re-opens you will be able to view your post.

Thank you for patience,
    Meteor talk to us team."

I have just phoned 1905 and asked them to do something about the HTC Hero issues and they've promised to escalate the issue to their technical team.

I can't understand why they can't, at the very least, either fix the data.mymeteor.ie APN, or move the HTC Hero customers to a more appropriate APN with proper internet access.

This is an absolute joke at this stage and I am very sorry I moved to Meteor.

If they're going to sell advanced handsets like the HTC Hero, they should damn well provision their network to support them and test them before launch.

This is exceptionally shoddy customer service, and I thought 3 were bad!

I would guess that the HTC Hero customers are also all likely to be mostly on bill pay and are quite likely to be amongst the higher spending customers on the Meteor network. So, really if I were Meteor, I would be bending over backwards to keep these people happy as otherwise, they will walk to another network a.s.a.p.

I use my mobile phone as a point of contact for business, and I really can't put up with these SIM ERROR - NOT REGISTERED errors etc.

SORT IT OUT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

MoDaCo 3.1 is out + custom custom online rom kitchen available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

This lack of response from Meteor is absolutely unbelievable... dont know why it surprises me though... since eircom bought meteor they have become more and more alike!

Looks like now we can add sh*te customer service to meteors list of advantages for customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

This lack of response from Meteor is absolutely unbelievable... dont know why it surprises me though... since eircom bought meteor they have become more and more alike!

Looks like now we can add sh*te customer service to meteors list of advantages for customers!
    Eircom's incompetence seems to have been also taken on board by Meteor. Just like the regular DNS problems on Eircom broadband. Don't be expecting the Gmail sync or "No Service" issue to be resolved anytime soon folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

would you still be getting these issuse if you had the phone unlocked and working off 02 or is it simple a meteor problem? Was gonna buy a hero over an iphone but now im thinking different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

thehamo wrote: »
    would you still be getting these issuse if you had the phone unlocked and working off 02 or is it simple a meteor problem? Was gonna buy a hero over an iphone but now im thinking different

it's a meteor problem because the calendar/contacts sync issue works fine over WIFI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mike0001

Had the same problem and it drove me nuts- nothing to do with Meteor- it's and existing problem with synching google contacts:
    Use the following free app from the android market "ContactSync"

ps I'm using HTC Hero on Meteor.

IH77 wrote: »
    I am on Meteor and having problems syncing contacts with Google Contacts (and Calendar but not worried about that for now). The message says "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly".

I have tried for a few days to sync but to no avail, same message appears. Have tried clearing data (from Applications settings) and restarting the phone, but nothing works. Haven't done a factory reset yet.

Been trying over Meteor data connection, must try with WiFi to see if makes a difference.

I saw some others had this problem, anyone get it resolved?

For starters- there and many apps on the app store that won't work on just Cupcake (1.5) so if for no other reason- you get access to much more apps than just be staying at 1.5

...you get access to much more apps in the appstore, that will not work with just 1.5.

Check out http://twitter.com/htc The official 2.x update is due soon.

T-Square wrote: »
    From what I've read about the android2 enhancements,
    there is little it can do, that the HTC v1.5 android + "Sense UI" can't.

The Hero already has multitouch etc.

What does a HTC Hero user get by taking v2?

and was surprised to find that it too was unlocked - happy days. :D
    Patrickof wrote: »
    I got one two weeks before christmas, posted out directly from meteor when I rang looking for an upgrade. The handset was unlocked (a three.ie sim worked fine in it).

use "ContactSynch" from the android market, that will sort it out.
    IH77 wrote: »
    I am on Meteor and having problems syncing contacts with Google Contacts (and Calendar but not worried about that for now). The message says "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly".

I have tried for a few days to sync but to no avail, same message appears. Have tried clearing data (from Applications settings) and restarting the phone, but nothing works. Haven't done a factory reset yet.

Been trying over Meteor data connection, must try with WiFi to see if makes a difference.

I saw some others had this problem, anyone get it resolved?

see: http://twitter.com/htc (official)

ofr www.htc.com
    Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Can any one tell me can i update my htc hero to android 2.0 its currently on firmware 1.5? if so where do I go to do it? is it difficult to do it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Breezer wrote: »
    I updated to the MoDaCo 3.0 and now 3.1 ROM. Since then I've noticed a problem with the YouTube app. It randomly won't play some videos. I'm not sure if this happened before I rooted or not, but the same videos play fine on my E51 on the same connections (Wifi and O2).

I really don't want to wipe everything to see if it fixes this. Could someone with a stock Hero do me a massive favour and test one of them please? An example of one is if you search for "Sam Tsui" and pick the second one that comes up, where's he's singing "Don't Stop Believing." Thanks a mill in advance!

I'm running stock rom, and it has done it on my for some time. Seems to do it if my connection isn't the strongest. I could retry a video, and it works, or could throw up the same error message.

At least I'm not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm running stock rom, and it has done it on my for some time. Seems to do it if my connection isn't the strongest. I could retry a video, and it works, or could throw up the same error message.

At least I'm not alone.
    You got there just before I deleted my post! :p I went and did a few nandroid backups/restores and found that the problem persists no matter which rom I use. Furthermore, if I persist in trying to load the video on any rom, it eventually works. I guess it's a problem with YouTube itself or the app. Annoying, but at least I get to stick with my fast rom :D

Seeing as you've just went back to different roms, is there really much difference between them?

I'm hmming and haaing about using a different rom, but not sure if it is really worth it. Any down points to the MoDaCo rom? Are you on the 3.1?

Seeing as you've just went back to different roms, is there really much difference between them?

I'm hmming and haaing about using a different rom, but not sure if it is really worth it. Any down points to the MoDaCo rom? Are you on the 3.1?
    On the 3.1 as of a few minutes ago. It seems a bit faster, some useless apps are gone, and I have root.

I only got my Hero a few days ago though, so I didn't have much of a chance to use the other roms before I rooted it. I did it mainly to get rid of the T-Mobile branding that it came with (I bought off ebay).

• Advertisement

Grand so.

One last question, couldn't figure it out on the modaco site, is their 3.1 paid for, or is that just the way I'm reading it?

The "Rom kitchen," where you can customise the rom with the apps you want included, is paid for. It's free if you just want to go with the apps Paul's picked though.

Star. Thats what was throwing me. I like the sounds of the Rom Kitchen though, but I can see updates to that being a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hanleyco

can someone post me a link to modaco 3.1 rom? i tried dl from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/11-jan-3-1-modaco-custom-rom-for-gsm-hero/ but it just redirects me to the home page?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey so I bought a Hero tonight off adverts. Happy with it so far other than I cant access the app store. When I tap the market icon, a box comes up with the last owners email address and an option to enter a password, but I have no option to change the email address so I cant log in. I have set up my own gmail in the mail settings but that doesnt seem to register with the market place.

Any ideas of how I can get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

hanleyco wrote: »
    can someone post me a link to modaco 3.1 rom? i tried dl from http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/292018/11-jan-3-1-modaco-custom-rom-for-gsm-hero/ but it just redirects me to the home page?!

http://www.romraid.com/paul/hero/3.1-update-hero-modacocustomrom-core-signed.zip
    thehamo wrote:
    Hey so I bought a Hero tonight off adverts. Happy with it so far other than I cant access the app store. When I tap the market icon, a box comes up with the last owners email address and an option to enter a password, but I have no option to change the email address so I cant log in. I have set up my own gmail in the mail settings but that doesnt seem to register with the market place.

I would reset to factory defaults for a start. There might be more this kind of suprizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

thehamo wrote: »

the cache of the market might have some data from the previous owner.
    you can go in the application settings, pull up the market app, there should be a clear cache button.
    the restart the phone.
    or as docentore has suggested just reset the phone to factory default..

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭iknorr

Android 2.1 SDK released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

iknorr wrote: »
    Android 2.1 SDK released

Is this an official HTC Hero release?
    Has anyone else tried it (I don't want to be the guinea pig)!
    The sw link is on the HTC Twitter page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

SDK = Software Development Kit (for developers).
    No sign of the 2.1 ROM yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement