Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Hogan motors

Options
  • 24-06-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

just heard on newstalk that tom hogan motors is gone into voluntary liquaditation.. up to 150 jobs at risk, the big names are certainly falling in the car industry in the mid west with first pat keogh and now this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

See here for a long discussion on said matter.

More to be reported from Tom Hogans management later today.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055436742&page=8

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gorevs

sorry berty, wasnt following that on motors thread, admin feel free to lock if you think its a duplicate thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Another big dealer in Limerick is also set to wind up circa 6 weeks time...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Being honest about it I have no sympathy with any of them as they have been screwing us for years.
    even only recently I went to a toyota dealer on the tipp road trying to trade in a hyundai sonata 2l 2004 and they tried to screw me
    I was only offerd 4,500 if i bought a 08 corolla and 3,500 if i bought the same car in a 2007.
    how can your car be worth more if you buy a newer car???
    it either has a value or not regardless of what you buy.
    even in this recession you would think that they are keen to sell but sadly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

daveob007 wrote: »
    Being honest about it I have no sympathy with any of them as they have been screwing us for years.
    even only recently I went to a toyota dealer on the tipp road trying to trade in a hyundai sonata 2l 2004 and they tried to screw me
    I was only offerd 4,500 if i bought a 08 corolla and 3,500 if i bought the same car in a 2007.
    how can your car be worth more if you buy a newer car???
    it either has a value or not regardless of what you buy.
    even in this recession you would think that they are keen to sell but sadly not.

Slightly off topic and not defending the garage/dealers or I'm not in the trade either but your car doesn't have a fixed trade-in value, the mark up on a 07 car will be less than on a 08 so they cannot offer you the same amount against both cars. You need to forget about what you are being offered on your car, the most important thing is the cost to trade up price.

Unfortunately nobody wants 2.0 litre petrol cars that are not from a premium brand like Merc or BMW, even you are looking at trading down to a smaller car. I'm surprised he was willing to take it to be honest (not attacking you or your car btw, just stating the reality of the current car market) given that he will find it very hard to sell on.

Anyway back to the OT, I do have sympathy for the sales staff, mechanics, technicians, receptionists and other ordinary employees of the company who are jobless this evening. It is not their fault.

I don't however have sympathy for the owner or his/her business partners who were the ones who made huge amounts of money during the last decade when the country was a wash with people who had money buring in their pockets, those like developers, who borrowed heavily from banks to make more money and now nolonger can afford to pay them so just hand back the keys.

At the end of the day it is propably us, the tax payer, who will foot this bill as the banks will most likely write it off as another bad debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Another big dealer in Limerick is also set to wind up circa 6 weeks time...

This is true, won't be the last either.

Tinytony wrote: »
    This is true, won't be the last either.

as always the paye worker has to foot the bill for the wrong doings of the fatcats.

feel sorry for the staff alright but thats it.
    what gets me is that if a dealer reckons your car is only worth xx ammount then why are spare parts still a huge price????
    also the price of new cars has not come down at all,probably due to vrt and vat and thats why loads of people are buying from the north and the uk.
    everything else has come down so why not cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 What_Now

If you ask me 4,500 is a good throw for your Hyundai, after all the 2.0 litre petrol engine is sale proof these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Where abouts in Limerick City was tom hogan based?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Where abouts in Limerick City was tom hogan based?

They are not in Limerick anymore they left about 9 months ago. They were situated on the Dock Road next to Enterprise cars. The closest place is Shannon.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

From what I was told today, another dealer will be going pretty soon, within 8 weeks, due to retirement. Kilroys out beyond the Southcourt will be closing, so that will be more jobs gone.

Kess73 wrote: »
    From what I was told today, another dealer will be going pretty soon, within 8 weeks, due to retirement.

Not trying to be a bollox kess73 but don't quote names of businesses that you heard a rumor of closing up unless you have hard facts. It's not fair on the staff or family and friends of the staff working in said businesses.

h3000 wrote: »
    Not trying to be a bollox kess73 but don't quote names of businesses that you heard a rumor of closing up unless you have hard facts. It's not fair on the staff or family and friends of the staff working in said businesses.

Well given that it is the owner that has said he is retiring and closing the business, and that it has been reported in one paper already at the same time as the Tom Hogan news, I will take it as being more than a rumour.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well given that it is the owner that has said he is retiring and closing the business, and that it has been reported in one paper already at the same time as the Tom Hogan news, I will take it as being more than a rumour.

I that's the case fair enough. I done a quick search and couldn't find any reference to it. If it is the case that they have made a public statement about closing up shop then name away.

EDIT: Do you have a link to the story by any chance?

h3000 wrote: »
    I that's the case fair enough. I done a quick search and couldn't find any reference to it. If it is the case that they have made a public statement about closing up shop then name away.

EDIT: Do you have a link to the story by any chance?

The Times had it a few days ago and it is also on page 24 of tonight's Limerick Independent in a far less detailed version.

The staff were informed about this before the papers, and the service department will be still running for the short term, with what the dealer claims will be a final sale just before the doors shut for good.

Digital edition of Limerick Independent. On page 24 as kess73 said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i wonder what WILL be left open in limerick come the end of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alfa Mark

What will happen to the stock of 2nd hand cars they had for sale? I presume unregistered cars go back to BMW and Toyota to be redistributed.

you might get a good 2nd hand deal for cash from hogans.
    otherwise the liquidator will sell them on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I passed Tom Hogan in Shannon today and the forecourt was looking very scarce. It was really only old stock left and there was not a new car in sight. There was a car by the entrance to the showroom, a 03 Avensis with a Sold Sticker on it.

I LOL'd. :D

EDIT I also passed Tom Hogan in Galway as well earlier and the forecourt and showroom were full. Nothing has changed there other than the fact the door was locked. There was some lonesome looking women peering in the window, probably wondering where her damn deposit is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Carlossainz73

Folks, the funny thing is we all knew that garages were making a mint but like drones we just handed over our money. its amazing how we all have become so cash weary all of a sudden. We even except that cars have "Mark Ups" that in itsself is so so wrong!.

Dont get me wrong I am not saying that I was any different. I do think that the local garage business is back in town, the are honest and good value for money.. and dont change all your brake pads and tyres when you just wanted a service and your estimated bill jumps from 180 to 870
    :mad:

Advertisement