Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Fighter Database?

Options
  • 24-06-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I have long thought of a need for a fighters database for MMA in Ireland. MMA Universe is good no doubt but one of our own would meet our needs far better as I see it, a good database could facilitate the following
    • Matchmaking for promoters
    • Ranking fighters nationally
    • Online resource to help promote our fighters abroad

I hoped that I would be able to commit to creating this as an extension of the MMA League results tables, but with my work commitments ever increasing I haven't the time I once had.

So my question is - is there somebody out there willing to put this together and maintain it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

I think Nothing Compares stuck up a thread about this a week or so ago...not sure if anythings come of it, ya could pop him a PM to see how goes it?

If its up in the air, I could give it a shot, SBG's closing for a few weeks n I'll be bored as ****e so could do with a nerdy all consuming pastime...will look into it over the weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

If I had the time I'd love to volunteer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

I have long thought of a need for a fighters database for MMA in Ireland. MMA Universe is good no doubt but one of our own would meet our needs far better as I see it, a good database could facilitate the following
    • Matchmaking for promoters
    • Ranking fighters nationally
    • Online resource to help promote our fighters abroad
    I hoped that I would be able to commit to creating this as an extension of the MMA League results tables, but with my work commitments ever increasing I haven't the time I once had.

So my question is - is there somebody out there willing to put this together and maintain it?

We are currently building the new www.fight.ie website, with this in mind we would be happy to look at the developing what mark has mentioned. We are willing to put in the required investment to create this properly but would need to know what clubs, trainers, fighters & promoters would like it to include and also what clubs/trainers will support the format.

Cheers

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bad Dog MMA

I tried this before but found the response from gyms and individuals to be non existent and i had mailed and text nearly every major gym at the time (late '07, early '08). I gathered what info i could but ultimately it wasn't enough to post up. I even had some draughts made up, i'll try root them out and post one up. it basically looked similar to a 'tale of the tape' style card.
    Due to personal commitments i simply didn't have the time to pursue it any further but it is something that would be an asset to promotors and fighters alike. I have more spare time on my hands now and would consider resurrecting the site and adding a fighter database if it was truely wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm trying to put this together right now. It will take me a few weeks just to get a beta version going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I have spoken with fight.ie about this, and he is willing to sanction his development team to work this (yes a team of software engineers whose job it would be to get this working), they are also willing to commit to keep this running in the long term to help the MMA community here. Quite frankly the offer is just too good to refuse :)

Bad Dog MMA (if that is his real name) made a solid point about a lack of support from the community, and that would be the biggest hurdle to making this endeavour successful. There is so much interest in this thread in helping with this though, it leaves me feeling positive.
    3 questions -
    1. Would the other posters be willing to feed data to fight.ie to get the database running?
    2. Could any gym representatives interested in submitting results for their fighters/shows let us know?
    3. Kevin, you seem to have done a good deal of groundwork on this, would you be willing to work with me and Fight.ie to figure out an equitable system of working out fighter rankings? Fight.ie will need feedback to ensure that the system is a bit more representative of actual fighter standings than the MMA Universe one and between us we should be able to help design an algorithm to get it done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would be happy to supply info on the guys from our team and the results from our shows.

I think the hardest part of this would be correlating all the fights that have happened in retrospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I think the easiest way is for promoters to supply results if the shows are Irish(once clubs hand in there up to date records) and if the fight is abroad chances are a club mate/one of us will know the result

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

yeah, im the same, Ive been trying to keep up to date with results from events around Ireland on our website, but there is alot of shows going on and it can be hard to keep up to date with every event.

http://www.kyoujinmma.co.uk/events.html <- if you click on the link it should take you to the results for that event...as you can see the last few events have been missed. I get most of my info from forums and if someone doesnt post the results 9 times outa 10 I wont have the info to update it

I posted up a help request with creating the rankings if anyone has input they wish to provide -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055603133

• Advertisement

What about seeding the fighters?

you have a pot of high seeded fighters, if you win a fight against them you get more points than if you fought someone in a lower seed...

also, have some type of points for loosing on decision? you might have had a cracker fight only to loose out on a decision....

i have no idea as to how this would work out im just throwing ideas out there

mcdermott wrote: »
    What about seeding the fighters?

you have a pot of high seeded fighters, if you win a fight against them you get more points than if you fought someone in a lower seed...

also, have some type of points for loosing on decision? you might have had a cracker fight only to loose out on a decision....

i have no idea as to how this would work out im just throwing ideas out there

Throw your ideas on the other thread will ya :)

Throw your ideas on the other thread will ya :)

which one lol?

the one in the computer section?

I posted up a help request with creating the rankings if anyone has input they wish to provide -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055603133
    Hi Mark

We have today writen to the major boxing bodys asking for copy of their ranking criteria, this may help us find possible answers to some of the questions raised. The system used by the IBO is computer generated and might be close to the kind of thing required. Could you guys have a look and let me know your thoughts www.iboboxing.com

Cheers

John
    www.fight.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

fightie wrote: »
    Hi Mark

We have today writen to the major boxing bodys asking for copy of their ranking criteria, this may help us find possible answers to some of the questions raised. The system used by the IBO is computer generated and might be close to the kind of thing required. Could you guys have a look and let me know your thoughts www.iboboxing.com

Cheers

John
    www.fight.ie

Fair play to John from Fight.ie for doing this. I think because there not connected to a club and are neutral can only be a good thing.
    Tell me will this be a ranking for Ireland as a whole or will there be a North/South divide?

Fair play to John from Fight.ie for doing this. I think because there not connected to a club and are neutral can only be a good thing.
    Tell me will this be a ranking for Ireland as a whole or will there be a North/South divide?

hi marty

once the criteria is worked out it would be easy for our developers
    to make the system have All Ireland rankings and also northern and southern rankings if that is what the majority want

cheers

john

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I think all Ireland would be best.
    Also would fights taken by Irish fighters in the UK or Europe be taken into account?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

In sports ireland is 1 in all except soccer, lets keep it that way..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I think all Ireland would be best.
    Also would fights taken by Irish fighters in the UK or Europe be taken into account?

Personally I think any fight undertaken must be taken into account. And i agree that all Ireland would be best

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 traitre

Fight.ie is there anyting moving on the database??

I have few lads interested in as well.

Let know what's goin on.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement