Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LightningBolt's Reading Log

• 24-06-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Books Finished Since January

In The Woods by Tana French

The Likeness by Tana French

Both of these books are well written and very vivid in description. They're psychological crime thrillers. Both novels are somewhat related with various characters showing up in each, the main being Cassie Maddox. I think it's possible to read either first although personally I'd recommend In The Woods to start off with. The lead in each novel is bound somewhat by prior events that has led to them having a conflicting interest in the ensuing murder cases.

Discourse on Method and Meditations on First Philosophy by Rene Descartes

I found this book somewhat heavy to take up as a first time reader on philoshopical thoughts. I found myself disagreeing with various points but on the whole it challenges you to think a lot more carefully and how you view others.

1984 by George Orwell

There's not much to be said about this, all I can say is that I liked it so much that I finished it in a day. I could not put it down.

Morals and Markets: An Evolutionary Account of the World by Daniel Friedman

As the book says, an overview of how the markets evolved to their present day status and what exactly it is that primarily stops people from acting immoral. It was released just before the market crash so it might be worth your while waiting for an updated version. It's actually quite an easy read, it skips the technical details of finance in the main text allowing a casual reader to read through quite easily. A large appendix system is provided for the technical reader. Touches on game theory throughout also if that's your thing.

The Watchmen by Alan Moore

Enjoyable, bought it before I went to see the movie and I think I prefer the book because of the alternative endings.

Will post up more in a while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Animal Farm by George Orwell

His other most well known piece, short novel that took me 2-3 hours to read the other day. The version I have has an introduction that details the environment that it was originally released in, made me appreciate it and understand what he was trying to achieve writing it.

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

Found this a good read, a lot of sarcasm in it. I'm gonna look to read some more of his work. Particularly liked his thoughts on time travel and how we fail to see that everything has already happened. I think he said "Only earthlings believe in freewill". may be slightly off though.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

Been talked to death, only wish I'd read this a couple of years ago as a teenager!

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Amazing book, beautifully written, ridiculously funny. Highly recommended. My favourite read this year.

The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald

I found this a pretty slow moving book, the pace of it picks up in the final three chapters (there's only nine). It is a good read if you're willing to read into it but for someone who wants to read a novel quickly I'm not sure if you'd enjoy it properly.

Advertisement