Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single major economics vs. Joint Politics and Economics

Options
  • 24-06-2009 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone, I've just finished first year and have the option of studying for a single major in economics or keeping up some politics and doing a joint major.
    I like both subjects, i do get a bit worried by the prospet of all the maths in later stages of economics, but i seem to have handled it well so far. Politics is interesting, but perhaps not that relevant to the jobs market?
    I was just hoping that maybe some people who have done either course could give me a bit of feedback on the experience they had and why the chose the option they did.
    Oh, and i have to make up my mind by tomorrow at 9a.m.:p thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'm doing joint major economics and I've a friend doing single major economics.
    I like my setup, I think I'd die of boredom if I had to pure economics, but each to their own and my friend seems to enjoy it from what I can see.

I don't think maths should be that big a worry, from what I know, the most complicated maths the joint majors have to do, is 2nd year quants(intermediate).

A joint major would probably give you more scope for further study and a broader range of options, with the single major obviously being a tougher grounding in economics.
    Apart from the 2 module project you have to do in 3rd year(?) I don't think there is really anything you can't do in joint major that you could have done in single major.

From my perspective, I'd pick joint major 9 times out of 10 over single major. From what I've been told and what I can see, I don't know if single major really outweighs the advantages of joint major(with a reasonable second subject). The biggest advantage I could see to single major, is that I'd imagine your overall degree grade would be better, as you'd be purely focused on one field as opposed to two.

Hope that gives you one angle to look at things.
    I'm sure you'll get the other side soon :)

Advertisement