Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenya's Mau Mau charge British with torture and repression

Options
  • 24-06-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

From today's Guardian newspaper. Kenya's Mau Mau veterans lodge compensation claim against Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/23/mau-mau-veterans-compensation

Lawyer for the group said:
    "This will be the first time that the British government has had to account for its terrible, terrible deeds. This case is about justice for those individuals who had a terrible, terrible time. A number of them suffered from castration, women suffered from horrendous sexual abuse, many, many Maus Maus were beaten, tortured and killed," he said. "This case is about bringing all those issues before the British court and a British judge to say 'what we did was wrong'."

Wonder how many more throughout the empire will go to the courts? There have to be caseloads like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

More politics and current affairs than history forum imo. Can always be sent back if needs be. Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

The British Empire has always lacked morals, decency and a respect for nations sovereignty and the wishes of their indigenous people to express it. The Mau Mau people deserve remuneration at the very least for the horrible crimes committed against them.

Kenya is just one of many countries throughout the world who have suffered under British Imperialism and the greed of that nation for plundering nations. Good luck to these people in exposing the evils of the British regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Iskenderun

It continues to this day.
    Witness some of the horrible acts visited by the British Army on the poor people of Basra.
    They have no shame. They feel no guilt. There is no justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Iskenderun wrote: »
    It continues to this day.
    Witness some of the horrible acts visited by the British Army on the poor people of Basra.
    They have no shame. They feel no guilt. There is no justice.

I understood that the British Army had a relatively good relationship with the people of Basra and that as a result the situation there was a great deal better there than in other parts of Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The British Empire has always lacked morals, decency and a respect for nations sovereignty and the wishes of their indigenous people to express it. The Mau Mau people deserve remuneration at the very least for the horrible crimes committed against them.

How many empires were built on morals, decency , a respect for nations sovereignty and the wishes of the people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The Mau Mau don't deserve compensation, it's in the past.
    If they win this court case we may as well sue for the Famine.

Kenya is just one of many countries throughout the world who have suffered under British Imperialism and the greed of that nation for plundering nations. Good luck to these people in exposing the evils of the British regime.
    Thats why they're transferring power back to the Iraqis. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Don't disagree with ya, but we'd have done the same, as would any regime of that era.

Depressing truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MarchDub wrote: »
    From today's Guardian newspaper. Kenya's Mau Mau veterans lodge compensation claim against Britain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jun/23/mau-mau-veterans-compensation

Lawyer for the group said:
    "This will be the first time that the British government has had to account for its terrible, terrible deeds. This case is about justice for those individuals who had a terrible, terrible time. A number of them suffered from castration, women suffered from horrendous sexual abuse, many, many Maus Maus were beaten, tortured and killed," he said. "This case is about bringing all those issues before the British court and a British judge to say 'what we did was wrong'."

Wonder how many more throughout the empire will go to the courts? There have to be caseloads like this.

Bit bloody late now, tbh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I understood that the British Army had a relatively good relationship with the people of Basra and that as a result the situation there was a great deal better there than in other parts of Iraq?

....in that they did a deal with the local militia that they'd leave them be if they'd return the favour. They pulled back to airport and stayed there until quitting time.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article4461023.ece

Mau Mau people

Kenyans? Was the Mau Mau not just the name of the fighters, as opposed to a tribe?

Atrocities were committed on both sides, it would be like the IRA suing the British Government now. You started it all, no you did, you killed more, no it was your fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kenyans? Was the Mau Mau not just the name of the fighters, as opposed to a tribe?

Atrocities were committed on both sides, it would be like the IRA suing the British Government now. You started it all, no you did, you killed more, no it was your fault.

That is very true. I think it would also be fair to say the Mau Mau were a minority in Kenya as well. In my early days working there were a few guys who did their national service out in Kenya and I recall them talking about whole villages burnt to the ground by the Mau Mau.

The biggest complaint by the Mau Maus is that the british rounded them up and put them in huge prison camps. A drastic tactic, but what no one knows is what would have happened if they hadn't. How many wars have there been in Africa that didn't involve some form of ethnic cleansing or genocide?

The biggest complaint by the Mau Maus is that the british rounded them up and put them in huge prison camps.

Think it went further than just putting them in bunk beds. Think there was allegations of castration, mass rape by British soldiers, serious mutilation and torture etc. But think there are serious allegations against the Mau Mau too - not sure if it is by the British or other Kenyans...

Think it went further than just putting them in bunk beds. Think there was allegations of castration, mass rape by British soldiers, serious mutilation and torture etc. But think there are serious allegations against the Mau Mau too - not sure if it is by the British or other Kenyans...

Yeah, I didn't really get my point across there.

The majority of the troops were Kenyan loyal to the British regime and iirc, there was a large retaliatory attack after a home guard village was destroyed by the Mau Mau.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The biggest complaint by the Mau Maus is that the british rounded them up and put them in huge prison camps. A drastic tactic, but what no one knows is what would have happened if they hadn't.

That's right yeah, the British only ever invaded and colonised other countries to stop the uncivilised natives warring... :rolleyes:

The f*ckers should have never been there in the first place, never mind undertaking "drastic tactics" while trying to suppress a popular independence movement.

JD,
    I understood that the British Army had a relatively good relationship with the people of Basra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baha_Mousa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

how many Irishmen were in the British army at the time that it was engaged in all of this oppression?

something that is not often mentioned but represents an uncomfortable truth to some of our more self-righteous posters on here perhaps.....:rolleyes:

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's right yeah, the British only ever invaded and colonised other countries to stop the uncivilised natives warring... :rolleyes:

The f*ckers should have never been there in the first place, never mind undertaking "drastic tactics" while trying to suppress a popular independence movement.

JD,

if it hadn't been the British, it would have been the Dutch, Portugese or French.

But then, if it had, you wouldn't care would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

FTA69 wrote: »

JD,

Exactly. And that is the key right there to the whole issue - invading other territories and then claiming the innocuous "oops - there are atrociousness being committed on both sides" - give me a break, an invading force is going to be met with force. History of the world.

If anyone were to invade the Republic of Ireland today and snatch whole areas of the country with a brute force military [which is the way colonialism worked ] think we would all just say - well, now what is the fair and honorable way to respond to this invading army?

if it hadn't been the British, it would have been the Dutch, Portugese or French.

But then, if it had, you wouldn't care would you?

Well if thats not an "if I didn't rape that bird with the short skirt on the way home somebody else would have" of an excuse i don't know what is. Mind you they did that as well.

So to summarise most people here seem to have zero problems with an army heading to an area where they shouldn't be going and murdering, raping, castrating and god knows what else to the locals. Lets excuse them and because some Irish mercenaries were possibly involved with the British Army aswell its somehow our own countries fault as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lets excuse them and because some Irish mercenaries were possibly involved with the British Army aswell its somehow our own countries fault as well.

Irish mercenaries 'possibly' involved :rolleyes:

More like one third of the regular British Army actually being IRISH, with the whole machine being a very Anglo/Irish affair (this tends to be conviently overlooked by some) who like to point the finger and say British=Bad, Irish=good, whereas in reality, it was a lot more complicated than that with Ireland & the Irish playing a major role in Colonial adventures the World over, including Kenya .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

how many Irishmen were in the British army at the time that it was engaged in all of this oppression?

something that is not often mentioned but represents an uncomfortable truth to some of our more self-righteous posters on here perhaps.....:rolleyes:

That is an absurd statement. So the policy makers are nothing compared to the enlisted men? The policy makers are those who frame and give the orders and - in the case of colonialism were the ones who reaped the financial rewards. Not even the enlisted men of the Nazis were held to such a standard - i.e responsibility - as you suggest.

It's POLICY we are talking about here - not giving the rank and file a DNA test.

• Advertisement

Camelot wrote: »

More like one third of the regular British Army actually being IRISH, with the whole machine being a very Anglo/Irish affair (this tends to be conviently overlooked by some) who like to point the finger and say British=Bad, Irish=good, whereas in reality, it was a lot more complicated than that with Ireland & the Irish playing a major role in Colonial adventures the World over, including Kenya .......

The clue is in the name of the army, the British Army. Ireland had and have its own army. If Irish men joined the British Army they get no special absolution and I'm sure they were as bad as their British counterparts. I don't remember Ireland being a imperialist power colonising other countries by the way. Ireland did not play a major, or in fact any role in Colonial adventures the World over. Some Irish people may have as part of the British Army but its not the same thing.

Ireland did not play a major, or in fact any role in Colonial adventures the World over. Some Irish people may have as part of the British Army but its not the same thing.

So what you are saying, is that if Ireland had been an independant country, unlike every other country in europe, it would not have had its own empire or been interested in expanding overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The clue is in the name of the army, the British Army. Ireland had and have its own army. If Irish men joined the British Army they get no special absolution and I'm sure they were as bad as their British counterparts. I don't remember Ireland being a imperialist power colonising other countries by the way. Ireland did not play a major, or in fact any role in Colonial adventures the World over. Some Irish people may have as part of the British Army but its not the same thing.

As regards the Mau Mau uprising of the 1950's fair enough, there was only a small Irish representation involved, but the Irish did play a major role during the original Colonisation of Kenya back in the 1800's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Stekelly wrote: »
    How many empires were built on morals, decency , a respect for nations sovereignty and the wishes of the people?

Not very many, but I think that's a fairly obvious point, and I don't know why it had to brought up.

Britain done some terrible things as an imperial power. That doesn't mean other countries didn't too, but this story is about Britain and Kenya. Not any other Empires.

I think it's fairly obvious who started it all, is it not?
    That is very true. I think it would also be fair to say the Mau Mau were a minority in Kenya as well. In my early days working there were a few guys who did their national service out in Kenya and I recall them talking about whole villages burnt to the ground by the Mau Mau.

The biggest complaint by the Mau Maus is that the british rounded them up and put them in huge prison camps. A drastic tactic, but what no one knows is what would have happened if they hadn't. How many wars have there been in Africa that didn't involve some form of ethnic cleansing or genocide?

Deflecting from the fact that they wouldn't haven't had to take a 'drastic step' if they weren't in Kenya in the first place. Good old Britain, stepping in to stop those nasty warring tribes.

What's this got to do with anything? Can Irish people not criticize the actions of the British army because there were Irish soldiers involved?

What happened was wrong, I have no problem criticizing either the British or Irish soldiers involved.

More deflection. So what if there were Irish soldiers involved? It doesn't mean what happened can't be criticized . Although it is worth pointing out that this event in particular happened post-Irish independence, so any Irish involved were under the British flag, carrying out atrocities in Britain's name.

I do agree that the reality of the British Empire was not black and white
    ( e.g. Britain = bad, Ireland=good), but the fact is Ireland was not a colonial power and was a colony itself .

Why must ''there were Irish involved too!" and ''there were worse Empires!" be brought up every time there is a discussion about the British Empire, deflecting from the issues at hand?

Well if thats not an "if I didn't rape that bird with the short skirt on the way home somebody else would have" of an excuse i don't know what is. Mind you they did that as well.

So to summarise most people here seem to have zero problems with an army heading to an area where they shouldn't be going and murdering, raping, castrating and god knows what else to the locals. Lets excuse them and because some Irish mercenaries were possibly involved with the British Army aswell its somehow our own countries fault as well.

I wasn't questioning the allegation, it was more to question why people on an Irish politics board get stiff with excitement when they get to debate this kind of thing, yet there is never the moral outrage of allegations against the French or Spanish. The latter of whom probably commited more attrocities than the rest put together. Still, most of that was done in the name of the pope so that probably diesn't get talked about in Irish schools.

Lets face it, those going on about abuse by the British don't actually give a **** about the locals that were exploited, it is just another excuse to have a go at Britain.

So what you are saying, is that if Ireland had been an independant country, unlike every other country in europe, it would not have had its own empire or been interested in expanding overseas.

Well thats just speculation. Ireland may or may not have had an interest in expansion if its situation was different. Do you want to write an alternative history of what ifs? Or you do want to deal with what actually happened in the real world.

Well thats just speculation. Ireland may or may not have had an interest in expansion if its situation was different. Do you want to write an alternative history of what ifs? Or you do want to deal with what actually happened in the real world.

No, what i am saying is maybe people should stop being so self righteous about the whole thing.

As regards the Mau Mau uprising of the 1950's fair enough, there was only a small Irish representation involved, but the Irish did play a major role during the original Colonisation of Kenya back in the 1800's.
    Ireland was essentially a UK province back then controlled by the Anglo Irish gentry, landlord classes and from Westminster. Ireland was a colony itself and the majority Catholic population had no control over the affairs of Ireland.

I wasn't questioning the allegation, it was more to question why people on an Irish politics board get stiff with excitement when they get to debate this kind of thing, yet there is never the moral outrage of allegations against the French or Spanish. The latter of whom probably commited more attrocities than the rest put together. Still, most of that was done in the name of the pope so that probably diesn't get talked about in Irish schools.

Lets face it, those going on about abuse by the British don't actually give a **** about the locals that were exploited, it is just another excuse to have a go at Britain.
    blah blah blah whataboutery blah blah blah more deflection blah blah blah couldn't be arsed debating the topic at hand blah blah blah what about the frenchies and spaniards blah blah blah there were some Irish people in the British Army blah blah blah the pope blah blah blah having a pop at the poor Brits blah blah blah

• Advertisement

blah blah blah whataboutery blah blah blah more deflection blah blah blah couldn't be arsed debating the topic at hand blah blah blah what about the frenchies and spaniards blah blah blah there were some Irish people in the British Army blah blah blah the pope blah blah blah having a pop at the poor Brits blah blah blah

sorry, is the truth hurting by any chance?

Advertisement