Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Before I put my car on the road and start driving - things to do

• 24-06-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've owned this car for about 4-5 months, it needed a bit of work when I got it. I'm hoping to have all the buts and pieces done and then insure/tax her starting July 1st. The car in question is a BMW E30 318i (but with the engine from the 318iS, M42)

What things should I do before I fire her up 1st time and is there anything I should do after like taking it easy for a few miles?

I was going to do what ever servicing is outlined in the manual before anything.

Brakes are stiff so prob be a good opportunity to put in new brake fluid (any particular brand recommended?), and bleed the system.
    The radiator system will need bleeding after I get the rad put back on and all connected.
    Engine oil was put in to the car when I got it.
    I already put on 2 new fan belts. I believe the timing gear is as it should be.
    Should I put in new clutch fluid?

Anything to freshen her up and keep me busy for the next few days before I fire her up again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jozi wrote: »
    I've owned this car for about 4-5 months, it needed a bit of work when I got it. I'm hoping to have all the buts and pieces done and then insure/tax her starting July 1st. The car in question is a BMW E30 318i (but with the engine from the 318iS, M42)

What things should I do before I fire her up 1st time and is there anything I should do after like taking it easy for a few miles?

I was going to do what ever servicing is outlined in the manual before anything.

Brakes are stiff so prob be a good opportunity to put in new brake fluid (any particular brand recommended?), and bleed the system.
    The radiator system will need bleeding after I get the rad put back on and all connected.
    Engine oil was put in to the car when I got it.
    I already put on 2 new fan belts. I believe the timing gear is as it should be.
    Should I put in new clutch fluid?

Anything to freshen her up and keep me busy for the next few days before I fire her up again?

Flush the cooling system while you have a chance. use something like radflush with a garden hose. be careful of air locks when re-filling it

open up each spark plug hole. drain a little oil down it (a tiny amount). This will help it move again after a long period of lying up.

second disconnect the king lead fron the coil. turn over the engine several times to allow the oil to circulate around the engine.

Reconnect everything and fire it up. let it idle to operating temprature watch for any warning lights and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

As for brake fulid, i've only used off the shelf stuff and the seem to be all the same to me. get the right one though ie. DOT4 not DOT5

A new air filter and spark plugs would be a good idea

Advertisement