Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting up to speed.

• 24-06-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

just a few questions I have to ask.

1 how do I convert my raw images? when i up load them i either cant view them or else I open them with gimp and they are tiny and very boxy looking.

2 how do i get a colour callibrator? (incase this is the wrong term it is the thingy(v. professional) that shows me the true colour and look of my photo so it matches the printed version.

3 is there are tips you wish you were told when you were starting out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

1) Depends on the software you use, and the camera you have. Get something like Adobe Lightroom, or use the propriatary software that came with the camera to convert from raw.

2) Get some calibration tool (such as a spyder). Google for monitor calibration to find all the different tools there are out there.

3) Experiment. Try different things - apertures, speeds, ISO, etc. Practice, practice, practice .... and learn from other boards members, especially on days out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

For RAW, if doing it on the cheap (like many of us), or ethically opposed to feeding your good euro to software giants ;) you can also use UFRAW which works either stand alone or plugs into the Gimp.

#2 is really as PaulW says. The poor mans version (but this leaves your screen still way off), is a tip from our resident print expert stcstc (Steve) - if nothing else available then set your screen brightness to a little under half and it should be in the zone of what you would expect to get in print. The second poor mans option is to get a colour card from where ever you get you images printed, hold it up to the screen and adjust your monitor to get as near as the colour card allows. But really, to do it right - get a hold off a spyder or similar.

#3 tips? Here's one - 'learn to see' - your perspective through the viewfinder alters everything you have come to accept and you must now open your eyes and your mind to the minute, the macro, the large format, the expression, the emotion, the moment, etc.., etc... basically - this is what you need to do to learn to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    #3 tips? Here's one - 'learn to see' - your perspective through the viewfinder alters everything you have come to accept and you must now open your eyes and your mind to the minute, the macro, the large format, the expression, the emotion, the moment, etc.., etc... basically - this is what you need to do to learn to see.

Wow, that's deep - sound advice though :D

Silently loud -

#1 - What camera are you using? Did you get any software with it when you bought it? I know that Nikon supply a "bog basic" RAW file viewer and convertor - assume Canon do too?

If you haven't got a supplied disk, try searching your manufacturers support page.

#2 - Are you sure it's only you're screen that needs calibrated? What about your printer? Have you tried printing your images on someone else's printer?

#3 All I can say is "have fun and TAKE THE SHOT!" Don't make up excuses, like I haven't the right lens-light-filter-perspective-horizon-content-angle-flux capacitor! Get out there and shoot, that's how you'll learn,both what you like, and how to do it. If I could offer one single item to focus on (pun, geddit!), it's composition.

Quote - "Placing the elements of your picture within the frame and deciding what to leave out."

Have a quick look at this for examples - http://photoinf.com/General/Geoff_Lawrence/Composition.html

Quite often I find I've made a mess of this!!!
    Missed this or didn't notice that, but often I can still make an acceptable image by cropping. Still learning this stuff myself, only picked up a camera a few months back so everyday's a school day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silently loud

I have a nikon d40. I have been taking photos since december. I like the manipulation side of things. I have PS and GIMP. Kinda difficult to know if i am any good of course friends are going to say its good but I am afraid to take that step incase I a shocking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I wouldn't be afraid! If you look throught the threads here on boards.ie you'll see they offer fairly good advice with really good constructive criticism. The only way to improve is to take the plunge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

just a few questions I have to ask.

1 how do I convert my raw images? when i up load them i either cant view them or else I open them with gimp and they are tiny and very boxy looking.

Raw files are not instantly accessible in every program as this thread explains:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055462673&page=2

They are almost never uploaded directly to the Internet.

I use Irfanview a lot as it can do very quick batch conversions to a multitude of file types, and resize at the same time. It's freeware, with the option of a professional licence if you are selling your photos.

Advertisement