Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny questions

• 24-06-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,

Thinking of renting in Raheny (close to St Anne's park). What kind of shops do they hae nearby? Raheny Village seems to have quite a few small shops incl a supermarket.

Where would be the closest big shopping mall?

Lastly, what is it like to live in this neighbourhood? Wondering if it's a safe place for my wife and baby to go walking at night/in the morning etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

funkyr wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of renting in Raheny (close to St Anne's park). What kind of shops do they hae nearby? Raheny Village seems to have quite a few small shops incl a supermarket. Raheny Garda station is right there too.

Where would be the closest big shopping mall?

Lastly, what is it like to live in this neighbourhood? Wondering if it's a safe place for my wife and baby to go walking at night/in the morning etc.

Thanks!

In Raheny village there is a Supervalu, several pubs, pharmacies, restaurants as well as the library, a gym and other shops.

You're not far from the city centre, you're always close to a bus route and depending where you choose, you're close to the DART as well.

Artane and Northside shopping centres are near enough but they're not very big. There's a huge Tesco in Clarehall which is only a ten minute drive away and has other shops in the centre. There's also Omni Shopping Centre in Santry which is bigger (and nicer imo) than Artane and Northside. There's a cinema there too. Also a cinema in Coolock.

The last question is often like opening a can of worms on boards.ie with people using one bad experience, or none to give their opinion on an area.

I would say as someone who's lived pretty much beside the area my whole life and who has friends from there that's it's a nice area and would be fine for raising a family.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City forum. HB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That part of raheny is fine,you shouldnt have any problems except for quite heavy traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There's a big church there too, if you like going to mass ;)

Plus you may have to put up with lots of learner drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Also shopping centres in Donaghmede and Kilbarrack nearby.
    Raheny is a great area, but like most of Dublin these days road traffic is a big problem. Thankfully its well serviced by Dart and Bus.
    St. Annes is a superb facility, and Dollymount is a short walk away.
    Handy also for Howth, Portmarnock, Malahide etc. if you really like the seaside. :)
    As for safety, it's as safe an area as any other in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

OP - I think the area is fine, I've lived nearby almost my entire life. Take a walk around, make your own mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I worked in Raheny library and the people that came in were always great to deal with. You didn't get the "scumbag" factor that can often happen in anywhere that is free to use, so that is a very good sign for the place. Plus it is on the DART line so handy for quick trips into the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

OP any reason you chose Raheny, just as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP its one of the best area's on the Northside, indeed in the city.

Its a really lovely area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

Thanks all, feel much more reassured about the area.

I chose Raheny as it's relatively close to work and the place was the most suitable to my needs.Looked at Clontarf but nothing was as good as the place I found in Raheny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Tesco in Clarehall is near enough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 amazonprincess

raheny has gone sideways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭jos28

Clontarf way according to the people at River Cafe 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The electoral wards database seems to have joined up with map address database...

Dunno why Clontarf gets so many though.

Ayrfield, Beaumont B, Beaumont C, Beaumont D, Beaumont E, Beaumont F, Clontarf East A, Clontarf East B, Clontarf East C, Clontarf East D, Clontarf East E, Clontarf West A, Clontarf West B, Clontarf West C, Clontarf West D, Clontarf West E, Edenmore, Grace Park, Grange A, Grange B, Grange C, Grange D, Grange E, Harmonstown A, Harmonstown B, Kilmore A, Kilmore B, Kilmore C, Kilmore D, Priorswood A, Priorswood B, Priorswood C, Priorswood D, Priorswood E, Raheny-Foxfield, Raheny-Greendale, Raheny-St. Assam;

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭bren2001

That looks more Dublin Bay North as opposed to the Clontarf ward.

Advertisement