Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romanian neighbour

• 24-06-2009 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

http://tinyurl.com/mfz249
    Brave neighbours came to the rescue of a family who were attacked by knife-wielding intruders in their home.

Mick Wisdom (45) suffered stab wounds as he tried to prevent two men from entering his home in Lucan, Co Dublin, at 7.30 yesterday morning.

Neighbour Gheorgie Manci heard screams from the house at Foxford and rushed to Mr Wisdom’s aid, helping to wrestle the knife-wielding attacker to the ground.

The other man involved in the |suspected burglary attempt fled.

Mr Wisdom’s wife Elaine (43), who was assaulted when she opened the door to the intruders, was also taken to hospital where she was treated for shock.

Mr Manci said he heard Mr Wisdom screaming for help and he and his friends rushed over to see what was happening. He said Mr Wisdom’s arm was covered in blood and he had his midriff slashed also.

“Me and my friend managed to hold one of the robbers down,” said Mr Manci, originally from Romania but living in Ireland for seven years. “We used our shoulders to hold him and he was pushing and shouting but we held him.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

A day late I'am afraid.

Btw,what a cool name,Mr Wisdom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Errrr.... And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

So you could say he Manci-handled the culprit?

Sorry... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Does the fact he's Romanian have anything to do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

So you could say he Manci-handled the culprit?

Sorry... :o

No, I don't think you could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Probably two lads down from the north and got the wrong house...

D.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Romanian people are nice too you know

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

brummytom wrote: »
    Certain uneducated people always mix up Romanians and Roma.

The general perception of Roma is that the only reason they wouldn't run away to leave the guy to die is that they would want to rob his corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

brummytom wrote: »

http://tinyurl.com/ncbzfn
    (In a survey in Northern Ireland - which certainly shares many prejudices with us) almost one-quarter said they would not like to live next door to a migrant worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Foridners i tells ya, you can't even do a bit of robbin now but they are in de way, as if atin er swens wasn't bad nuff.

*Fair play to Mr. Gheorgie Manc and his friend, I hope they a got a fair few blows into the scummer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sleipnir wrote: »
    No, I don't think you could.

Oh, never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The fact that he ran to help is and of itself a great and brave deed he has (hath?) done.
    I would do the same but to be perfectly honest, long gone is the day that Irish people would do the same for another. Fair play to him !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its instinct. When somebody shouts for help, the urge is to go help. Some people say "Well, It would be too dangerous" "Don't want to get stabbed" etc..... the vast majority don't think in that situation and instinct takes over. You would probably do the same.

Course, I'm royally screwed. My neighbours wouldn't come help due to the noises of death and destruction that eminate from my house regularly. Computer game sound effects are lifelike and I'm assuming they have learned to ignore them. Still, the boy who cried wolf and all that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Romanian people are nice too you know
    Some of the nicest people I ever met, shame people get them mixed up with Roma too much, who unfortunately I would have to say the exact opposite about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i know her brother....

the guy threatened her but then her husband got involved.
    he got stabbed while she ran upstairs and told her kids to lokck themselves into the bedroom and she screamed out the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

luckat wrote: »
    That's NI. This is RoI. The one-quarter of people who hate the migrants are probably the same nationalist/loyalist scumbags who oppose anyone foreign.

Some of the nicest people I ever met, shame people get them mixed up with Roma too much, who unfortunately I would have to say the exact opposite about

Ditto. Have really positive expierences of non gypsy Romanian people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kirby wrote: »
    Its instinct. When somebody shouts for help, the urge is to go help. Some people say "Well, It would be too dangerous" "Don't want to get stabbed" etc..... the vast majority don't think in that situation and instinct takes over. You would probably do the same.

I wonder. Look at that Garda who was savagely attacked on Aston Quay last week - a bunch of people watched her being beaten, having her face bitten, etc, and some of them filmed it on her mobile phones, but no one tried to help her.

I actually think that neighbour was exceptional. Pity there's no civilian equivalent of the Scott Medal to recognise heroism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Fair play to that guy for helping the couple out. Romanian or not, he deserves to be commended.

Advertisement