Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 TB of memory!

• 24-06-2009 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

check this out. 1TB of memory to arrive with Xbox Natal according to analyst.

Xbox 360 getting one terabyte hard drive soon, says analyst

Dare we even wonder at how much a standalone drive will cost?
    According to future gazing gaming seer Michael Pachter, there’s just one obstacle on the road to Microsoft offering simultaneous digital and retail releases of all mainstream games. Right now the limited amount of hard disc space available to the console is holding back the Games on Demand service, which is due to launch in August, but with only a limited selection of older titles.

Retailers may not be thrilled at the notion, but games publishers want the service to go ‘day-and-date’, confirms Pachter, with digital downloads landing at the same time as they appear in shops. That’s already how Steam works on the PC. So what can be done about the limited memory space on the 360? Simple, make it bigger. Much, much bigger.

“I think as soon as we have large hard drives - think the rumoured Project Natal 'new' Xbox 360 with a terabyte of storage in 2010 - we'll have day-and-date downloads," Pachter told GamesIndustry.biz. Considering that the biggest Xbox 360 HDD you can get right now is 120GB, that’s a big step up.

It sounds brilliant and all, and clearly a necessity if you’re to adopt game downloading in earnest; however, Microsoft has never sold an Xbox 360 hard drive at a price that is even close to reasonable. Right now, even with a discount on, a 120GB drive cost just shy of £75 – or 62p per GB if you prefer. So can we assume a terabyte model would cost north of £600? In that case we think we’ll be getting the console bundle.

Link: Xbox (via TechRadar)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Currently there isnt even a laptop size hd that supports a TB (comercially available anyways),so they are sure to be pricey enough even in a years time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've always wondered why they don't come out with a solid state solution.

The beauty of Steam is that it lets you back up yout game content and burn it.
    That way you won't have to redownload your games.
    Would it be cheaper to equip xboxes with a DVD rewriter than costly storage? :pac:

I'd imagine we'll just see larger ranges of hard drives, 120, 250, 500 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's ridiculous that both the 360 and PS3 only come with such small harddrives tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

1TB.. That's over.. NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I thought this was about ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

humanji wrote: »
    I thought this was about ram.

indeed. HDD and Memory are two different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Bet it'll be faulty upon release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mp3guy wrote: »
    Bet it'll be faulty upon release.

How come?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    How come?

Because the actual console was :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

mp3guy wrote: »
    Because the actual console was :P

There was hard drive issues?

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    There was hard drive issues?

We'll see. Considering the reputation Microsoft has, and the general trouble there's been in the none too distant past with 1TB drives, I wouldn't be relying on them to do a great job.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Solid state drivers are significantly more expensive than old school magnetic hd`s.

Sure but you get super fast load times. Some folks will part with their cash for stuff like that. I was just wondering at the possibility. This thread is built on conjecture.
    The beauty of steam? Your joking right, steam games are usually the same price as a physical copy and you need to verify them online before you can play them. I`d keep to my DVD versions and play them whenever I want without needing internet access!

Steam is great. Apart from the $1 = €1 problem there are some great deals to be had on Steam. The Orange Box for €10 being an example. Also compared to LIVE there are no subscription charges. But that wasn't my point.

The OP talked about Microsoft's move towards digital releases of its games requiring larger HDDs. I pointed out that with Steam you don't have to worry about HDD space since you can back you your content to an external or optical disk.

I doubt MS will let anyone move content about like on a PC so the prediction of large capacity storage makes sense. I was simply joking that MS should let you do something similar since if you start to buy a lot of large games online you'll fill a standard HDD pretty quickly. Perhaps allow backup to a external HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

1.) learn the difference between memory and storage.
    2.) A xbox wouldn't know what to do with 4GB RAM.
    3.) A 256GB SSD retails at around $700. 700x4=$2800

SSDs aren't for capacity they're for speed. I thought this was a what if future gazing thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

5uspect wrote: »
    SSDs aren't for capacity they're for speed. I thought this was a what if future gazing thread?

Yeah, and what'll happen if MS charge a fortune to give 256gb? They'll be told that it's not enough storage!
    SSD is too expensive for consoles, at the moment. Hell, 99% of servers don't have SSD.

Sorry, gaze to the future....16GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD. Gaze away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakemarcus27

no thanks i don't need natal anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

no thanks i don't need natal anyways!

And Natal doesnt need you sir! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakemarcus27

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    And Natal doesnt need you sir! :D

yea that's why i don't need it because they don't need me lol
    i need games for men anyway not for wuss that is all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

i bet i have to sell my house before i can buy that tb hd...

Heck we can even look back if we want to see solid state storage... :pac:

Anyway disk space is cheap, I'd imagine MS would follow Apple's ipod and keep prices the same and push up capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

support for ntfs usb drives would be nice and write access to them

1tb external drives are cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah you can buy a 1TB external drive for >€100 now, but I bet they keep the price artificially high...

I only paid €40 for my 120GB 360 HDD, back when HMV were doing that offer on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Yeah you can buy a 1TB external drive for >€100 now, but I bet they keep the price artificially high...
    The xbox uses a 2.5" drive, you cant get them with a TB of storage yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Niall0 wrote: »
    The xbox uses a 2.5" drive, you cant get them with a TB of storage yet.
    He was obviously referring to an external hdd with a NTFS format for a laptop or pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

The suggestion of a 1TB HDD is ridiculous. So many people still have 20GB ones and this would just give MS a chance to introduce new gimicks to force people to purchace a new HDD that is hugely overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

This thread reminds me of this:

I blame memory cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

pljudge321 wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of this:

Epic.

Advertisement