Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this infraction really justified?

Options
  • 24-06-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭

Here's the thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055600444

Woke up this morn to see I had received an infraction, sent two PMs and received the reply this evening that in his/her opinion I was indeed trolling. Here's the reply I received:

Yes I did read your message and I seen nothing in it to make me change my mind. The comment was completely uncalled for, off topic and useless to the OP who was looking very some helpful advice.

Trying to wind people up by ruefully commenting on the way in which speak is nothing more than trolling as far as I am concerned. I fail to see how or why a previous infraction was brought into the equation.

Nothing more to add.

Just looking for opinions, thanks again.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The OP asks for tips on what to do in Donegal while they are on holidays and this is your answer:
    Hitch to Mayo and you'll be grand, fewer boy racers and the obvious advantage of being able to understand people who don't say eeeeyyyeee and oooocckkkk etc etc etc etc numerous times in every sentence

Explain to me how that's not trolling??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I would have thought that the smiley at the end would have indicated not but I if I'm wrong then fair enough as the whole trolling thing goes over my head most of the time. Useless to the op yes but trolling never.

Can I ask you if the mod in question can be seen to be trolling 2 times in this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579900

P.S. Beruthiel I'm after noticing my smiley isn't in your paste of my post?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would have thought that the smiley at the end would have indicated not but I if I'm wrong then fair enough as the whole trolling thing goes over my head most of the time. Useless to the op yes but trolling never.

tbh, I don't see how the smiley makes any difference. Your comment had nothing to do with tips on Donegal.
    Can I ask you if the mod in question can be seen to be trolling 2 times in this thread?

He is not a mod of that forum and if you have a problem with someones posts, feel free to report them to the Mod of that particular forum.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    tbh, I don't see how the smiley makes any difference. Your comment had nothing to do with tips on Donegal.

He is not a mod of that forum and if you have a problem with someones posts, feel free to report them to the Mod of that particular forum.

Fair enough but trolling? I would have at least expected a half normal reply from the mod instead of the ridiculous response I received.

Basically I do not feel that would be wise on my part, I do not think it would be of any benefit to me and my future enjoyment of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

2 points Id like to make here.

Despite what you stated in one of your PMs to me I moderate the forum in an impartial manner and to suggest otherwise is certainly not appreciated.

The other point is that you did not request my consent to post the contents of a PM here. Im not concerned about the content of the PM as it clearly sets out why you received the infraction and not as you described here
    I would have at least expected a half normal reply from the mod instead of the ridiculous response I received.

The next time you feel the need to post up a PM from any person (mods or users) please have the decency to ask their permission first.

• Advertisement

Is that all? I was civil in each and in previous pm's to you but I do find your responses a bit over the top considering the matter at hand. No doubt you have to explain the rules etc and that's fine, I just find your nature in doing so slightly brazen to say the least. I was not aware that I had to get your permission to post PM, it makes sense though so excuse my error in that regard if possible. It was posted as a means for me to properly state what and why my infraction had been given and therefore to assist in gaining opinions from others on the matter without any errors in translation etc.

Before another lecture on my 'trolling habits' might I suggest that you seem capable of it yourself at times also, if your definition of 'trying to wind people up by rueful comments' stands for one and all on boards.

Advertisement