Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Urgent info on Songwriter/Production Contracts

Options
  • 24-06-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

After collaborating with a young singer and sending off a couple of demos a top Dublin studio is recording one of my songs next week. The deal is that the producer reckons he has some good ideas for the song and wants to 'tweek' it a little bit, also, they are not charging for the recording, rather, they would like to have a joint writer credit for the song and a percentage of any future earnings.

I've also got to consider the fact that the singer may also want a percentage.

Now, this is the first time that Ive done anything like this and can't find any decent info on the net about contracts etc. All I know is that we need to have a written contract, but what I'm wondering is if anyone knows how a deal like this would work?

What would the percentages be do you think? Would it be 50/25/25 in favour of me, 70/25/5 in favour of them or what?

If anyone out there has any experience of these things, or knows any good resources on the web, I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 donkeypop

I've never done this either, but I wouldn't give away any "writer credit" to a producer (possibly they didn't put it that way? They meant have a 50% share of earnings?). I would enter into a 50/50 publishing deal at worst. You should read this.

http://www.imro.ie/music_makers/musicpublishingfactsheet.shtml

As with any contract, don't sign anything without having a lawyer look over it. You should have a contract before you begin work with the producer.

If you pick up a Hot Press Year Book there are names of legal firms who deal with the music business (I think so; they're used to be! - I'll check later). They are worth a call. Yes, this might cost you some money, but it would be worth it in the long run to pay a small fee to a lawyer so that you don't get stung in the end.

You could also call or email IMRO for advice on what would be normal in these situations.

Remember the music business is first and foremost a business, and you should approach it like a small-business person and get informed about this as soon as possible. Otherwise, well done and I hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Nordner wrote: »
    Hi all,

After collaborating with a young singer and sending off a couple of demos a top Dublin studio is recording one of my songs next week. The deal is that the producer reckons he has some good ideas for the song and wants to 'tweek' it a little bit, also, they are not charging for the recording, rather, they would like to have a joint writer credit for the song and a percentage of any future earnings.

I've also got to consider the fact that the singer may also want a percentage.

Now, this is the first time that Ive done anything like this and can't find any decent info on the net about contracts etc. All I know is that we need to have a written contract, but what I'm wondering is if anyone knows how a deal like this would work?

What would the percentages be do you think? Would it be 50/25/25 in favour of me, 70/25/5 in favour of them or what?

If anyone out there has any experience of these things, or knows any good resources on the web, I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks

A couple of questions and observations:
    which studio is this ? I'm curious

the producer has already decided that the input they will have will merit a co-write? sounds to me like they've decided to pull a fast one.
    the actual value of the work they're doing for 'free' will be dwarfed by any earnings they can make.

If the song is really that strong then pay for the recording, get a producer who doesn't jump in trying to get a cut of the publishing before they've started recording.

My advice ? (which is worth what you're paying for it) Don't agree to this.

Has this person got a track record with successful songs either as a solo writer or as a co-writer ? Have any of his songs (co-write or not) been a hit. Is there a pattern to the co-writes ? In in other word is he really a songwriter or is he a producer who makes his/her living by getting percentages of song publishing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nordner

Really appreciate the feedback lads. Looked at that IMRO page there and it was really helpful. Can now use this as a reference when I'm ironing things out with the producer.

As for your comments/advice 'iMADEtheBBC' I'll definately take that on board too. Gonna be sure to do a good background check on these guys. Know that they are involved with a couple of well known Irish bands etc, but I'll do some more digging over the w/e. Dont wanna name the studio right here on the boards in case things dont work out etc.

Guy I work with is a Solicitor and he said that he'd have a look over any contracts that they offer me.

Thanks again lads, you were a real help.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

OMHO:

Songwriting credit is and should remains as yours and if they 'tweak' offer to pay their time for tweaking as part of the production bill.

Publishing is where the pitfalls lie and its where most of the "shafting" goes on. And yes, a good music lawyer should point you in the right direction, just make sure he's YOUR INDEPENDENT lawyer and not theirs.

Advertisement