Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice regarding a work situation

Options
  • 24-06-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i was recently made redundant but was lucky to get shop work in april...i would be working in a shop and getting a few hours a week to start off but eventually getting 39 hour weeks because they were extending the shop...this was great. i started getting 18-20 hour weeks at the start and some weeks 15-16 hours which was grand because they promised me when the new shop opens i'd get 39 hours. anyways in the meantime I was doing a course one evening a week and also needed to be rotad off the odd day because i had appointments/holidays/nct test etc this was ok because i wasn't on set hours. i also had to bring a family to hospital one day. I asked for any time off well in advance and had exams coming up so only needed a few hours off for them in which i informed them well in advance...last week they gave me no hours and again this week. I rang them asking what was wrong and they wouldnt give me answer. firstly they said i asked for the two weeks off(which i didn't) and then they said some of us wasn't shown enough inititiative and that i woud definitely not get the 39 hours now and they would call me later in the week and fobbed me off on the phone. i tried calling them today but no answer so i went to the shop and the manager was so ignorant to me he told me he had no time to talk and come back tomorrow...another thing is that they have trained in more staff..
    sorry about the long thread but is this their way of trying to get rid of me and push me out..i am expecting the worst tomorrow that they will let me go but is this being unfair or am i wrong..
    please give me some advice if possible, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes, they can let you go with out telling you why (I'm guessing probation time here), unfair maybe but with in their legal rights and you're in a bad spot until 1 year line really.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i was let go...he said i was too ambitious! thing is he was so ignorant to me on front of other people...was he allowed to treat me like this...it was so unprofessional

Advertisement