Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing in the sea ?

Options
  • 24-06-2009 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello there guys, just a quick question about fly fishing on the shore.
    Im geared up for trout, 5/6 rod and reel, 5 line. I was thinking of getting into some sea fly fishing,
    What size rod would do, what kind of gear and tackle would you need?
    Is there anyone out there that does it regulary, if so what can you expect to catch and what kind of difficulty would they rate it towards river bank fishing

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I use a 9 foot 9 weight tip action rod with a weight forward floater with a clear intermediate tip. Most saltwater fish you'll run into aren't leader shy and presentation isn't an issue like it is with picky trout so I generally use a single 5 or 6 foot piece of 15 pound fluorocarbon.
    Bass and pollack will be your main quarry.
    Get yourself a decent anodised aluminium reel with a good drag, and make sure to rinse it thoroughly after a session in the salt or you won't get more than a season or 2 out of it.

I find it easier than river fishing - fish are less picky and less spooky, usually bigger and you rarely have to worry about having room for your back cast. PLus it's easier to tie on a size 1/0 clouser in low light than a fiddly size 18 baetis. Give it a go - once you get a good pollack on you'll be hooked

Advertisement