Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL ENGINEERING TIMETABLE 1ST

• 24-06-2009 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please give an idea of what the 1st year engineering timetable is like? I'm due to start Biomedical Engineering in Sept as a mature student.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

28-30 hours of lectures, labs and tutorials a week!!!
    About The most hours you are gonna get in any courses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

As said above approx 28 hours combined per week including all the labs and tutorials you are assigned to.

Lots of early starts and late finishes should be expected too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DESQ

Thanks lads, i'm just hoping for 9 o clock starts, i just don't want to be stuck there 2 late in the evening unless its for study,

ur gonna be stuck there late for the next four years!

I'm not too bothered by that, i've been doing evening classes for the last few yrs so its rare i get home early!! any idea roughly what the hours for each day would be? Mon-Fri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

You can say that you'll have an average of 5-6 a day, but you could easily have up to 7-8 on a few days and as little as 3 on another! You'll only find out for sure when you get your full timetable!
    It gets annoying when you're on a 7-8 hour day and a friend/housemate is on their day off :mad:

Meh! it'll be a big change for me when sept comes, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

DESQ wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered by that, i've been doing evening classes for the last few yrs so its rare i get home early!! any idea roughly what the hours for each day would be? Mon-Fri

Well like the time table would say 9 to whatever (usually 6) but like, labs are every second week, then a tutorial every other week. which usually last an hour. The timetable is ALWAYS bad for engineering, they always have at least 1-2 free hour blocks between each subject resulting in you having to be there 9 to 6. So if you want to be home early each day, find out when the labs are on and im sure you could have a 9 - 3ish day everyday (or 11 - 6) if you rearrange to go to different labs (lecturers say you cant do this mainly because they dont want everyone doing it). But i wouldn't do that as they tend to have the same people doing the labs at the same time, so you can befriend some of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

For first year, your modules are pretty easy to pass without going to the lectures, I did an engineering and attended about eight hours a week getting a QCA of 3.2, so it's not compulsory;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

i think it was 30ish hours per week back in 1st year. 9 or 10am starts and 5 or 6pm finishes, dont remember too many breaks during the day as others have mentioned, 1 or 2 hrs max in the day. Also for engineering, labs and tutorials take place every week.
    1st is not too bad for projects for biomedical/mechanical/aeronautical but as soon as you come back from co-op in 3rd year you wont have any free time so you'll have nothing but late late nights living in the library or the computer lab. The hours come down to about 25 per week but the spare time gets taken up by work

• Advertisement
Advertisement