Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enjoying my running

Options
  • 24-06-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I've finally gathered the courage to start this training log.
    I''ll try to keep it updated as much as possible :rolleyes:.
    Opinions and advice would be appreciated.
    Background info: I am a member of tallaght athletics, I am 18 years old and take my running pretty serious, I train 5-6 days a week.
    I'v been running for 2 years but have only began to take my running seriously the last year or so.

P.bs: 800m: 2.16
    1500: 4.50
    3k: 10.26
    Roads: 5k 18.18
    ( all my p.bs have been ran within the last 6 months, hopefully i can improve on them over the track season.):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

Week1, Day1:
    8 miles in 56 minutes. (7 minute mile pace.)
    6x120 meter strides over hurdles.
    Ran with Ecoli from the club, found the last 2 miles hard but was a grand run, the heat doesnt make it any easier :o.
    Enjoyed the hurdles never really do them :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Welcome Fitzington. Its about time the average age started to come down. Good to see training logs coming on stream from club athletes. Good luck with your training.

Okay today i was wrecked, was called into work in a butchers from half 12 to half 7 without a break, Random job but had to do someone a favour :eek:. I got home at 20 to 8 and was tempted to sit in eat and relax, However i forced myself down to the club to do my session.:D

Session: 5 minute warm up followed by streches.
    2x200meter, 2x400m, 2x400m (on track) Recovery: jog interval eg sprint 200m jog 200m, sprint 400m jog 400m.
    2x200m= 30secs, 29 secs
    2x400m=66secs, 66 secs
    2x200m=30secs, 30secs
    5 minute cooldown followed by streches
    Good speed, strength and lactate threshold session.
    feel good after, legs a bit sore, take rest day tomorrow:D.
    Thats it for today folks.

Rest day:
    Due to 5 races in a week, (one of which i couldnt complete :(), and a session yesterday my body is stiff and full of aches, I'll rest and hopefully recover for a good hour run tomorrow. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Good idea man, get a good run in tomoro. U were prob wrecked after the session on the track and the session in the plaza! With work on top!!

• Advertisement

DJS wrote: »
    Good idea man, get a good run in tomoro. U were prob wrecked after the session on the track and the session in the plaza! With work on top!!

Exactly man all 3 combined are a killer, I'll do an hour tomorrow, Great night tho last nite

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

i will join u on that hour man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fitzington wrote: »
    Okay today i was wrecked, was called into work in a butchers from half 12 to half 7 without a break, Random job but had to do someone a favour :eek:. I got home at 20 to 8 and was tempted to sit in eat and relax, However i forced myself down to the club to do my session.:D

Session: 5 minute warm up followed by streches.
    2x200meter, 2x400m, 2x400m (on track) Recovery: jog interval eg sprint 200m jog 200m, sprint 400m jog 400m.
    2x200m= 30secs, 29 secs
    2x400m=66secs, 66 secs
    2x200m=30secs, 30secs
    5 minute cooldown followed by streches
    Good speed, strength and lactate threshold session.
    feel good after, legs a bit sore, take rest day tomorrow:D.
    Thats it for today folks.

Seems to me like that alot quicker than LT pace man and more so a quality session still good goin fair play

Hey folks,
    done 7.5 miles in 50 minutes, easy enough feeling good.
    Legs were stiff after but feeling good now.
    I hope to do 70 minutes on hills in the morning.
    Thats it for now.:cool:

slept it in today and then went dublin match.
    I done 6 miles in 42 minutes at half 9, weather was horrible, I was joined by p3 fitz who was as humorous as ever. dissapointed i missed the run on the hills, but i might do it in the morning

• Advertisement

I done an easy 35 minutes today my legs were very stiff and i didnt feel great. I'll probably do a session tomorrow down at my club.

Session: Pyramid training (400, 600, 800, 600, 400)
    400= 70s 600= 1.45s *800*(600)=1.50 600=1.44s 400= 69s
    Okay i was actually pleased with this session, although the 800 became a 600 because the change of pace killed me, I recovered well and ran a quicker last 600 and 400. This is the type of session that i find particularly hard, Ill probably re- do it next week. P3 fitz had a great session, looks like hes recovered from his pelvis injury.

Today I done 4 x 600s with 3 minutes recovery, I was joined by p3 fitz.
    After my rest day yesterday the legs were feeling fresh.
    The times were as follows:
    1.44 1.44 1.47 1.49
    My lack of strength is clear, the last 2 600s were alot tougher and i found it difficult. Although i am pleased wit the session.
    :)

Today I done 8.5 miles in an hour with p3 fitz, It was a steady pace, I then done 20 minutes of core and stretching.
    ( I hope to add more core to my training as i feel its not strong enough.)

Saturday: rest day.

Sunday: Today I ended up in Cavan, so I decided to do 6 miles at steady pace. I ran on the roads (typical country road) plenty of bumps and hills.
    I enjoyed the run as it was something different.
    I ended up running 5.8 miles in 39.32. Was happy with the run.
    Il try to do plenty of stretching and core later.

Okay today i planned to do 8 400s in 68 seconds, with recovery of 2 minutes.
    The session began well and was finding them grand. On my 5th 400 i dropped at 200 meters, ( legs were stiff) and have a race on Sunday so i dont want to be sore or stiff. The 200 was in 33 seconds.
    My coach then told me to do 2 x 200 meters comfortable. They were in 28 and 30 seconds. I done a 10 minute cool down and stretched, my legs feel Okay now,

Easy 35 minute run, just to loosen out the legs.
    Followed by 20 minute stretching, calfs and hammers are still a bit tight,
    All irelands 800 meters on sunday, So I want to be feeling good and my legs feeling right.
    Laters

I done my prerace session tonite. It consists of jog 3 laps (on track) and 200 meters fast. I repeated this 3 times.
    I was happy with the times,
    200m=28.68 200m= 28.32 200m= 27.66
    I then cooled dowo for 10 minutes followed by 15 minutes of stretching.

Okay today was my all ireland 800meter I felt good going into the race.I opened up in approx 63 secs and ended up running 2.21.I'v never been so dissapointed with a race, my body collapsed in the 2nd lap. I ran my 2nd 400 in 78 secs which is hard to get my head around to be honest. However I have an 800 meter graded meeting on wedensday, So id be looking for an improvment on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

Dont worry about that man .. head out on wednesday run smart and u will run a pb that yr training suggests and u will forget all about that race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Man dont worry too much. U needed to race today man, the experience you gained today is more important then any pb.
    U got to learn how to race man, those lads today are too far ahead of u in ablity for now. U shud go well on wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Okay today was my all ireland 800meter I felt good going into the race.I opened up in approx 63 secs and ended up running 2.21.I'v never been so dissapointed with a race, my body collapsed in the 2nd lap. I ran my 2nd 400 in 78 secs which is hard to get my head around to be honest. However I have an 800 meter graded meeting on wedensday, So id be looking for an improvment on today.

Hard luck. What's your current PB for 800 ?

I've ran 2.16 in March, and have done two 800s since then, both have been dissapointing. Im running in the 800 on wedensday, and hopefully will gain some confidence. I need to run my own race and ghave enough in the tank for a steady second lap. Il forget about sunday and will hopefully run a much smarter race on sunday.

Monday 13th July:
    I went out for an easy 40 minute run.
    I then done half an hour of stretching and core.
    My legs feel better now Im all set for wedensday.

I've ran 2.16 in March, and have done two 800s since then, both have been dissapointing. Im running in the 800 on wedensday, and hopefully will gain some confidence. I need to run my own race and ghave enough in the tank for a steady second lap. Il forget about sunday and will hopefully run a much smarter race on sunday.

Good luck tomorrow. Have you planned splits ?

Thanks man.
    The plan is to go through the first lap in 68 secs, therefore I should have a steady second lap, maybe a 67 or 68. My training would suggest that im well capable of accomplishing that, but doing it seems to be a different story.
    Are you racing tomorrow yourself?

Thanks man.
    The plan is to go through the first lap in 68 secs, therefore I should have a steady second lap, maybe a 67 or 68. My training would suggest that im well capable of accomplishing that, but doing it seems to be a different story.
    Are you racing tomorrow yourself?

No. My track days are well and truly over. Don't get the same buzz I use to from it

Awh rite how Are you finding training at the moment?

Tuesday: Okay Today I done my typical pre-race session
    Warm up of 10 minutes, and stretching.
    I then jog 3 laps and run 200 meters, I repeat this 3 times.
    My 200m times were as follows: 30,30,29.
    Nice and steady but nothing too fast.
    I then done a 3 lap cool down and stretched.
    My legs are feeling good going into tomorrows 800 meter graded meeting Race.

• Advertisement

Wedensday: Okay today was Race-day, Thare was a great line-up of races out in Santry including the mortan mile and devlopment races, some great times were ran, the mile was won in 4.01.
    After the mile I began to warm up, I warmed up for 20 minutes and done my stretches and drills for 15 minutes.
    I then realised they were severly behind schedule because of a huge turnout of athletes. I warmed up a little more and done my drills on the track.
    Eventually my race came around and on the line I was feeling confident, ther were some good Tougher athlets there and others who I know from other meetings.
    When the gun went I went out very controlled in about 6th position. Comin up to the bell I took my first man Looking at the clock It was 70 seconds a bit slow. I then found myself in 4th position with 250meters left I took the man in front of me on the bend and persisted to take another tougher athlete on the last straight.
    All in all I came second and ran 2.18 which is a big improvement on Sunday

Advertisement