Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming an abandoned car?

• 24-06-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

It's a long shot but is there anyway of claiming an abandoned car?

At an airport I use quite a bit there is a W124 500SEL sitting in the long term parking for about the last year. It could well be longer than a year. I'm pretty sure she's been abandoned. The body is in very poor condition, very badly rusted, flat tyres etc however there is only 75,000m on the clock and the interior looks in good nick.

I love these cars and I've a bit of experience with them so I'd love to be able to claim it and restore her to her former glory.

She's on an English plate. I've checked it in the DVLA and it's not on their records. There is no tax, insurance or MOT on the window.

Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to claim it, or alternatively a way to find the owner, I wouldn't mind giving him a few bob for it.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess the VRO or gardai can help you.
    Find out if you will have to pay the parking charge also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Without finding the owner I'd imagine it would be all but impossible to register it legally.

Looooong shot... Google the reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's a 500SEL then it's a W126;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anan1 wrote: »
    If it's a 500SEL then it's a W126;)

Correct it's a 126, always get them mixed up! Best Merc that was ever built as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fishtits wrote: »
    Without finding the owner I'd imagine it would be all but impossible to register it legally.
    Looooong shot... Google the reg.
    You can fill out a declaration and have it signed by a peace commissioner to get around this problem.

In the 80ies my brother found an abandoned Citroen AMI estate LHD on French plates left in a dodgy part of the city, He took it away before it got further vandalised and notified the Gardai. After a year and a day he claimed ownership and got it reregistered in his a name. Im sure you could do the same, just notify staff and the Gardai that you are removing it. Car park staff would probably be glad to free up the space. If it was worth anything they would have sent it on to Merlins by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Could it have been stolen, stashed and then forgotten. Check the Chassis number with the polis if you can.
    :cool:

zapata wrote: »
    Could it have been stolen, stashed and then forgotten. Check the Chassis number with the polis if you can.
    :cool:

I don't think it was stolen. I first spotted it about a year ago when it was in decent nick i.e. good tyres and no visible rust. Over the months I've watched it deteriorate to the stage where you can now put your hand through the rust holes in the wings!

I'll give the Gardai a call tomorrow and see what's what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i like the way you did not name the airport.

i like that car now and i am going to try claim it beofre you..... i just have to find the airport..... then the car ha ha ha

Martron wrote: »
    i like the way you did not name the airport.

i like that car now and i am going to try claim it beofre you..... i just have to find the airport..... then the car ha ha ha

Hey! Ya cheeky shoite:D:D

You'll be a while searching!

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Not with Google, I saw their streetcar driving past the long term carpark the other day. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So thats were i parked it!!

If I was the OP I would be in there tonight with a low loader before anyone from the Classic Car forum beats him to it. :eek:

i figure i know where it is.

i reckon its in galway airport longterm.( if it exists)

its not a major airport because i reckon you suggested that we will be searching a while implying that it is not where we think it is.

Also if it was a busy airport i reckon the car would not be there for long because as someone else said the space would be needed.

I think we should have a race who can claim tham car first!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it the nearest one to Galway with a decent sized long term car park? (I'm guessing an international airport?) Shannon? :)

does not necesserily need to be international. i googled it and galway technically has a longterm carpark.

and he said he uses it quite often. its cheaper to use the plane than the train these days so i reckon he commutes with the palne into galway.

I have the patch for zooming into that map. :p

what do you mean? get zooming!!!

Martron wrote: »
    does not necesserily need to be international. i googled it and galway technically has a longterm carpark.

and he said he uses it quite often. its cheaper to use the plane than the train these days so i reckon he commutes with the palne into galway.

He uses the train too though.:) (when he goes to Dublin anyway)

I was thinking a decent sized one where they wouldnt bother with 1 abandoned car (or might not even cop it at all)

Can they even do anythign about it? Like chuck it out?. I'd imagine they'd need to have a time limit in their t&c's

ah so he is from galway!!!!

ha ha educated guess!!! he might have used the plane occassionally?

what colour is the car.

• Advertisement

the reason i dont think its shannon is because this car park looks paked and any car sitting around for a year would definately be moved

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shannon+airport+ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.564064,78.662109&ie=UTF8&ll=52.690951,-8.922358&spn=0.005892,0.019205&t=h&z=16

Great stalking skills on show tonight lads:D

Sorry to disappoint but it's not at Galway airport.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    He uses the train too though.:) (when he goes to Dublin anyway)

Was that a guess or do you know me?

Great stalking skills on show tonight lads:D

Sorry to disappoint but it's not at Galway airport.

?

Thats wahat i would say too if i was try to hide a car i was going to get for free!!!

On an unrelated topic it is very easy to stalk somoen with the info you can obtain from previous posts!!!

I still reckon its galway...... i am on the next plane!!

Was that a guess or do you know me?

Edumacated guess.

Dont know your, just stalking you.:)

Shouldnt let you in on my secret techniques lest you use them for evil but anyway. I cant find it now, but you posted about Graffiti on the last bridge into Heuston on the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

can we get back on topic instead of trying to claim the car for yourself?

I'd be intersted in the answer to this too. If a car is left on private property who does it go to if its deemed abandoned?

Advertisement