Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.6L Golf

• 24-06-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a Golf with a 1.6L engine...currently have a 1L Corsa. Heard that bigger engines use way more petrol...is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Depends on the driving you do, and the car in question. For instance, there was very little difference between my 1.6 Alfa 156 and my dad's 2.0 156 as the 1.6 engine was a bit too small for the car. My wife's old 1.2 Clio was great around town, but really thirsty on the motorway.

I had a 99 1.4 Golf and didn't think much of it. I'd say the 1.6 engine is well worth any small difference in running costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I'd imagine it would rank up there with 5.0 litre S Class & 7 Series when it comes to offloading it.

OP, you'd want to be getting that car for seriously less money than a similar aged 1.1 Corsa IMHO, the VAG 1.6 is an antiquated lump, its neither powerful, smooth, reliable or economic. It'll be all but impossible to give it away when you're finished with it.

A 1.8 would probably be worth more.

In a word, my advice would be: Pass, big time... the only thing that could make it less sellable would be an automatic box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.6 litre might be an old unit but it is alot more reliable than the 1.4 litre available in the Golf of that vintage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think you could upgrade to a nicer car. whats your budget.

the gf has a golf. its ok.......just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Have that engine in my 06 Leon, will probably turn 85k km this afternoon on the way home. For a small hatch it's fine, but its an old enough design. Can be noisy and thirsty if you rev it but otherwise its grand. Peppy compared to the 1.4 Focus I had previously and driven with any bit of cop on will do 40 to the gallon. Motorways about 36 as its pretty low geared.

Mine isn't mad high mileage or anything but it never uses a drop of oil, never refused to start and runs every bit as sweet as it did when I got it at 18k. It's one of VAG's most reliable engines and I know of a couple running about on over 150k miles without issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I bought a 1.4 Golf last year, always regretted not getting the 1.6 though

The golf is a heavy car anyway, so I dont know if the difference betweem the two would be huge performance wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

The 1.6 is more comfortable to drive than the 1.4. I hate driving the 1.4 as I like a bit of power. But my mother loves it. She goes along a nice pace. I wouldn't like to see her overtaking anyone in it though or being in a rush. Only downside is the tax is more. Petrol consumption is supposed to be the same according to google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm surprised at some of the negative sentiments towards the Golf, is there something I'm missing?

They're reliable and comfortable, and the 1.6 should make it nicer to drive and it is a heavy car.

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'm surprised at some of the negative sentiments towards the Golf, is there something I'm missing?

They're reliable and comfortable, and the 1.6 should make it nicer to drive and it is a heavy car.

It's more to do with VW losing the plot a bit quality wise but still charging through the nose, especially when you can get the same car with a different badge cheaper.

...and with a bigger boot:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

EPM wrote: »
    It's more to do with VW losing the plot quality wise but still charging through the nose, especially when you can get the same car with a different badge cheaper. Reliability has declined with them recently

...and with a bigger boot:D

I always figured they were expensive. Never heard of poor quality from them though

• Advertisement

They are as good as anything else out there when they used to be better. Still charging a premium price though.

Quality wise, was looking at a few lately when considering a change many of the interiors on MK 5 Golfs have not worn the miles well at all. Little things like door grabs, steering wheel centres and the like were marked on almost every car regardless of mileage.

My car interior looks brand new with no signs of wear bar the leather on the steering wheel looking a little shinier than it used to. For the money spent I'd be annoyed at those little things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They have a reputation of being reliable, which I don't think is entirely deserved - at least in the Mark IV. They're overpriced for what you get IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They're not any heavier than the competition really. Besides, despite common Irish belief, weight does not equal quality.
    The 1.4 is just crap, the 1.6 is less crap. Just make sure you get the car cheaper cause it'll be worth much less when you go to sell, as people either want the 1.4 or 1.9 diesel. It'll be very little heavier on petrol than the 1.4. Another Irish myth - large engines are gas-guzzlers. A large engine is an 8 litre V10 like in a Viper, not a 1.6 in a Golf.

I'd even say slightly lighter in the real world - you have to dog the 1.4 more often

Advertisement