Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question.

• 24-06-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭

I have fully comp insurance on my main car, can I drive my other car if it is not insured?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It will depend on what is stated (or not!) within your policy documentation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Most policies stipulate that the other car be covered. Otherwise it would be too easy for kids to get insured on a micra and use that policy to drive an uninsured Skyline or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ot depend. but with my policy from quinn i could drive any car to the value of 100000 euro . i would be covered 3rd party only.... only however if the other car was insured and i had permission to drive the car

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC my policy does not say anything about it being insured so they do vary (hence my earlier post)

you are totally right . there is no point really talking about this as every company is different and you can pay extra for different types of coverage. your best bet is to ring your insurance company directly. That elliminates any doubt that you will have and any trouble you may get into if turns out otherwise!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Martron wrote: »
    ot depend. but with my policy from quinn i could drive any car to the value of 100000 euro . i would be covered 3rd party only.... only however if the other car was insured and i had permission to drive the car

Well, it's usually not any car: the other car can't be registered to you.

The OP is talking about having a main car and a second car, but driving the second car on the main car's policy. The only way to do that would be to transfer the policy onto the other car for the specific time you wanted to use it. Obviously, this would be an occasional arrangement, as opposed to something you'd do very often - the insurance company would cop on quite quickly, and do something (start charging to transfer, or not let you at all) to encourage you to take out a second policy on the other car.

ah misread the original post.

yeah still though the best thing is to clarify it with the insurance company. honest is the best policy when it comes to this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

eoin wrote: »
    Most policies stipulate that the other car be covered. Otherwise it would be too easy for kids to get insured on a micra and use that policy to drive an uninsured Skyline or something.

A lot of companies don't require the other car to have current insurance cover. However, the fact that you wouldn't be able to tax the skyline without specific insurance for the skyline is usually a fairly big impediment to kids driving the said skylines on their micra's insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    A lot of companies don't require the other car to have current insurance cover. However, the fact that you wouldn't be able to tax the skyline without specific insurance for the skyline is usually a fairly big impediment to kids driving the said skylines on their micra's insurance.

Paying motor tax online asks you to enter your insurance policy number, but it doesn't validate it against anything - so you can enter any old gibberish. Now, it's probably an offence to do so (deliberately providing incorrect information), but it would allow one to receive a valid tax disc for a car without specific insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I have fully comp insurance on my main car, can I drive my other car if it is not insured?
    No, well not legally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Traumadoc wrote: »

If it's not registered to you and the Garda doesn't argue you are the true owner then yes.
    At least with Quinn anyway.

The thing is the car that's not under the main policy is covered THIRD PARTY ONLY, no fire and theft, nothing!
    It covers a car as least as possible under the law and is only really handy for doing favours and the likes like driving someones car off somewhere or moving it for them etc.

Not worth it if you're going to try and drive 2 cars you own the whole time.
    You will eventually be caught..then you'll be regretting it.

Advertisement