Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter in Apartment Complex

• 24-06-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Two questions someone might be able to help answer -

1. Can a tenant gain access to a locked esb meter in an apartment complex or do they have to trust the management company will give them the correct one?

2. Can Management company refuse to provide closing meter reading for tenant stating request must come from landlord only (even though esb a/c is in tenants name)?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Organise a reading by the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yes, a tenant can gain access to a meter, after all you are paying the bill.

Arrange an appointment with the management company(that agent) of the complex to spend a few minutes to look at your own meter.

Its either that or the landlord has a key/arranged to get access to meter for previous tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, a tenant can gain access to a meter, after all you are paying the bill.

Arrange an appointment with the management company(that agent) of the complex to spend a few minutes to look at your own meter.

Its either that or the landlord has a key/arranged to get access to meter for previous tenant.

Management Company are refusing to deal with anyone but landlord (well Estate Agent in this case - don't know name of person who actually owns the apt) and the E.A are not returning calls. ESB said they can close the a/c on an estimated meter reading but that could be over or under the actual reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Weyhey wrote: »
    Two questions someone might be able to help answer -

1. Can a tenant gain access to a locked esb meter in an apartment complex or do they have to trust the management company will give them the correct one?

2. Can Management company refuse to provide closing meter reading for tenant stating request must come from landlord only (even though esb a/c is in tenants name)?

its strange they even have they key if the account is in your name,i doubt the would refuse to open it for you,do you have direct contact with the landlord?,you could ask him to say it to the managment company

when i moved into my apartment (rented) the landlord gave me the key so i could check the reading,i think this is a gas meter though:confused:,i dont remember seeing an electricity meter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

in my case, the account is in their name because i am just renting and so they would get my payment and pay but then, i am free to check on the meters too. if they wont give you the key then just ask them to let you check on the reading after it's done by the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are the ESB currently checking the meter? Often they have a little secure box with a front door key that itself is locked with an ESB owned key. The ESB should be able to get access.

Is there someone who does the on-site care-taking. Can you approach them?

I think visit the estate agent and/or check you have hte correct details for them.

Advertisement