Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-Tests Format?

• 25-06-2009 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hey guys!

Wow, it only seems like last week since I discovered this forum and began my first tentative steps into the world of motoring... and now would you believe it I have my test scheduled for next week, yikes! (Not at all confident about it, but that's another story!)

I'm hoping to get booked in with a Pre-Test with someone before D-Day and anyways I was just wondering what the general format of a Pre-Test is?

I know instructors will vary, but for a Pre-Test will they have like a mock testing sheet of sorts and at the end of your drive point out your faults etc..

Or is it just like a regular driving lesson with feedback throughout given?

Thanks again for everyone's help on here, you've proved to be a wealth of resources and a fountain of knowledge in particular; DonegalGuy, Alanstrainor, BetterDrive, DriveSkills, Wishbone Ash etc etc... there's too many to mention!

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Usually they do they whole mock test, tick your faults, tell you what you're doing wrong and which areas to work on before your test. Make sure you get the pretest(s) booked asap to give yourself time ahead of your test to practice anything the instructor might highlight. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

First of all good luck with the test!

The meaning of a pre-test can vary a lot depending on the instructor - some instructors will refer to all lessons coming up to your test as 'pre-test' lessons - i.e. lessons focussing around the area and routes of the test center and concentrating on the required test maneouvers etc.

However a more common use of pre-test or mock-test is where the instructor takes on the role of the examiner. In this case they will ( or at least should :D) act more formal, limit conversation to just instructions and give no feedback until the end. During the "test" the instructor will use the same marking sheet as an examiner would and will give a result at the end. It should start and end at the test center. Ideally you should do this for half a lesson i.e. 30 mins as that is all your driving test will be (less in some cases).

I think the benefit of the mock-test is that it gives a close experience to the test environment itself - some people find it distracting to have someone sitting in the passenger who is not talking to them and just marking a sheet - so it helps to have driven under those conditions at least once. Note : not all examiners sit quietly but most will keep conversation to a minimum.

Best thing is to discuss with you instructor and do what you want - remember its your lesson so you should decide how you want it to run (within reason :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

DriveSkill wrote: »
    First of all good luck with the test!

The meaning of a pre-test can vary a lot depending on the instructor - some instructors will refer to all lessons coming up to your test as 'pre-test' lessons - i.e. lessons focussing around the area and routes of the test center and concentrating on the required test maneouvers etc.

However a more common use of pre-test or mock-test is where the instructor takes on the role of the examiner. In this case they will ( or at least should :D) act more formal, limit conversation to just instructions and give no feedback until the end. During the "test" the instructor will use the same marking sheet as an examiner would and will give a result at the end. It should start and end at the test center. Ideally you should do this for half a lesson i.e. 30 mins as that is all your driving test will be (less in some cases).

I think the benefit of the mock-test is that it gives a close experience to the test environment itself - some people find it distracting to have someone sitting in the passenger who is not talking to them and just marking a sheet - so it helps to have driven under those conditions at least once. Note : not all examiners sit quietly but most will keep conversation to a minimum.

Best thing is to discuss with you instructor and do what you want - remember its your lesson so you should decide how you want it to run (within reason :))

and downside being that if a mistake is made its harder to correct it 30mins later than at the time it occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

If you do something bad, like running a red light or almost causing a pile up, dont let it bring the rest of your driving down.
    thats the sort of stuff that you fail your pre-test on. :D

I learnt this the hard way.

Advertisement