Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slagging

• 25-06-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I am just looking for some opinions on the matter.

Slagging seems to be the most common form of humour amongst us youngings(especially lads)

Just wondering if you actually thinks its funny as you and your "mate" have a game of insult ping-pong.
    I dont mean "your ma" kinda stuff....but stuff that actually applies to you if you know what i mean. Obviously most people will put up a front instead of saying " dont say that :("

Ive thought about a couple times and I hate it even though i have been the instigator once or twice.

? 42 votes

Slagging is almost always fun
    0% 0 votes
    I dont like it when it gets anyway personal
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I generally slag my English/Protestant friends about taking my land. And females, for being ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It depends.

Me slagging my friends = Good. :p
    My friends slagging me = Bad. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I generally win, so, meh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

V.surprised by the poll.
    Its kind of a weird feeling when you assume everyone else has the same opinions about stuff as you.........and then you found out youre in the minority:eek:

about the winning, you can win but they could get a dig in that could linger in your mind....or something.
    I dont know. I find it a stupid exercise...

weird fish eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Back in the day we'd always have slaggin matches. We tried to lay off one guy when he started saying that it was getting him down. Course he still kept startin it himself, so what was he expecting?

Can't beat a good slaggin match, especially when it gets proper personal. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Negativity for the lose:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It depends on your friends personality really. If they like me can take a slagging about their appearance then its fair game.:D

If they seemed a bit sensitive then I would never say something horrible. The best jokes are always the jokes that someone will brush off like a leaf on their shoulder.:)

Always pay attention to what your friends say, get to understand their personality and go from their.:cool:

Don't ever be too cruel to anybody though because we all know hurtful things stay with someone for a long time. Especially from my experience :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

it depends very much on the people involved. for the most part, it's all good, and kept mostly to the surface... some things people just set themselves up for, and deserve to be slagged to within inches of tehir life, but some things are personal and it's just not ok to bring them out in the open, let alone mock them.

i know i had a 'different' taste in guys since waaay waay back and my mates would take the piss frequently, and that was cool, funny... but after it emerged i was quite sick... one friend once brough that up just slaggin, and my jaw just dropped, and everyone else turned on them. so safe to say, that was not deemed fair game.

what i find difficult in new zealand is that teh slagging pisstaking thing is mostly a lot lot more common in ireland... in nz, you start slagging someone, even just gently, nad they'll often get defensive. and these are the people who're cool and thought were on the level. then again, it's just so easy for everyone else to slag me here... all they have to do is use words like 'irish', 'overstayer', and 'potatoes'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I love a good slag.

I jeer my gay friends about being gay.
    One of my friends is half Greek- He's always being verbally abused in the most racist of manners by me.
    I'm a girl- yet I'm horribly sexist towards my other female friends and their eh, roles in the kitchen.
    And so on.

Course they all jeer me back JUST as much, about anything, and we all get that I'm not actually a homophobic, sexist racist.

We do it for teh lulzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bythewoods wrote: »
    I love a good slag.

And I make fun of her for that.

And the fact that she's a total lightweight*.............

(*I really couldnt care less, but with her, it's funny :pac:)

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    And I make fun of her for that.

And the fact that she's a total lightweight*.............

(*I really couldnt care less, but with her, it's funny :pac:)

EVERYONE jeers me for that.
    It's a good thing, I'm telling ya! Saves me plenty of money if I only need like, 2 or 3 drinks to floor me.
    (Or in the case you're referring to... one and a half?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

EVERYONE jeers me for that.
    It's a good thing, I'm telling ya! Saves me plenty of money if I only need like, 2 or 3 drinks to floor me.
    (Or in the case you're referring to... one and a half?)

One and a half...........

But it was after a bus journey, you hadn't eaten, and eh........it was raining?

So it's ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

bah, slagging matches can be fun but I usually suffer from esprit d'escalier... =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I love slags that are very witty and that cut deep rather than the usual 'your gay' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I generally win, so, meh :D

Ha Ha you didn't win earlier did you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

As long as it's not personal and vicious, it's alright. I don't respond well to the vicious stuff. Got suspended for retribution when I was in second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

It's alright aslong as it doesn't go too far or goes on too long. Used to hang out with a bunch of twats who couldn't have a good time without making someone in the group miserable. So yeah, it depends. One fella can't just be the butt of all the slags. It has to be nice and even.

But otherwise, when in good nature, it's a great laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I tend to take things more personally than I should and read into things a bit too much... So for that reason, it isn't too good! I still take the piss out of my friends for various reasons, amongst other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I think it depends a lot really on who's slagging you off and how well you know them. For instance, a group of mates slagging each other off is grand, but if it's only one fella being slagged off by casual aquaintances, then it's a different story, dare I say bullying. :eek:

Also, there has to be a line drawn imo on what people can be slagged off about. Poking fun at someone for something trivial is grand, but if it's something like their appeareance or whatever then it might be going a bit too far.

Then again, I can be hypersensitive. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

there has to be a line drawn imo on what people can be slagged off about. Poking fun at someone for something trivial is grand, but if it's something like their appeareance or whatever then it might be going a bit too far.

Yes,I'd definitely agree on this,in my opinion a person shouldn't be slagged about appearance or family,instead they should be slagged for doing (or saying) something ridiculously stupid! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Ha Ha you didn't win earlier did you? :D

Sure I did, ask yer ma.

Ohohohohohohohoh! :pac:

*iz joke!*

Also, there has to be a line drawn imo on what people can be slagged off about. Poking fun at someone for something trivial is grand, but if it's something like their appeareance or whatever then it might be going a bit too far.

I get slagged for being a flaming ginge about 50 times a day- I find it absolutely hilarious. That's appearance based, but it's all in good spirit.
    I'm.. not a ginge though. I'm not. It's brown with a *slight* auburn tint.

In general, I've got to say- girls don't quite GET the whole slagging thing?
    I mean, yes, I'm female... but I tend to spend most of my time with chaps anyway. I see myself as something of an exception.
    Most girls get really easily offended or something, and they tend to be like "nice" (:confused:) back to their friends.
    Don't understand AT all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

With my friends, I could pretty much slag them over anything, and they'd do the same, and no one takes offence, because we all know it's just messing around, and none of it is meant personally. With people who are more acquaintances, I'm more likely not to slag them really, because I don't know how far I could go without offending them, kind of thing.

I'm slagged about my appearance all the time though - for being short, for being a ginge (also have brown hair with a reddish tint, in some lights, for the record...), for being extremely pale... Would have bothered me at some point, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest now. I think that's kind of the key... If it's going to offend/hurt someone and you know it, leave it out. If they're fully prepared to take it, and give it back, then it can be hilarious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

I get slagged for being a flaming ginge about 50 times a day
    - I find it absolutely hilarious. That's appearance based, but it's all in good spirit.
    I'm.. not a ginge though. I'm not. It's brown with a *slight* auburn tint.

In general, I've got to say- girls don't quite GET the whole slagging thing?
    I mean, yes, I'm female... but I tend to spend most of my time with chaps anyway. I see myself as something of an exception.
    Most girls get really easily offended or something, and they tend to be like "nice" (:confused:) back to their friends.
    Don't understand AT all.

Hah, yeah I slag off my freind all the time about being just the slightest bit redheaded but we're good freinds so he takes no notice. :P He in return slags me off about my big eyebrows, but he's not very good at it. :cool:

Perhaps just another female complexity that will never be truly understood? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Slaggin matches are some craic!
    Especially when ya start tryin to slag eachother off in Irish "Tá tú gayyyy":D
    "Is grá liom gneas do mháithir":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I slag people good and proper when they deserve it. Especially old people, children and small animals. I also hit them with my cane. That's how it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I dont mean "your ma" kinda stuff....but stuff that actually applies to you if you know what i mean.
    The yore ma thing can get annoying in reality. Years ago I was having a few smokes and beers with 2 of me mates in 1 of their houses. We where doing the usual slagging and of course the "i wouldnt touch yore ma" slagging came up. So I told me mate that I would happily touch his ma. He was disgusted. I was winning the slagging match. Could it get any better. To bloody right it would. Best timing ever. His ma came down to use the toilet and came into the room to see what all the laughing was about. Anyways she headed off and I went out to the toilet and bumped into her on the way out. I started telling her what we where laughing at before she came in and I went on to tell her that she was really cute for a mates mother bla bla bla. I was drunk and thought I was gonna be me mates new step father. Anyways went back into the room and told him that I just chatted up his mother. He wasnt happy at all. Still though I won the match so tis all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

if someone slags me too much a hit them hard, i dont mean to do it but i fly off the handle i cant help it im almost in tears and they wont stop so i have to hit them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Some people need to realise there's a difference between "slagging" and "insulting".

Slagging is perfectly fine, but when there's malice involved, it tends to get out of hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

It depends.

Me slagging my friends = Good. :p
    My friends slagging me = Bad. :mad:
    That's it in a nutshell right there.

Advertisement