Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioware & Mythic Entertainment To Merge - Co-Founder Mark Jacobs Quits Mythic

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:05am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭

EA have announced that they are consolidating Mythic Entertainment & Bioware together to form one studio.

****ing terrible news for Bioware in my opinion. Looks like they are stuck developing MMO's, and here was me thinking maybe it was only a once off with the latest KOTOR.
    Today we have important news to share with the community. EA is restructuring its RPG and MMO games development into a new group that includes both Mythic and BioWare. This newly formed team will be led by Ray Muzyka, co-founder and General Manager of BioWare. With this change, Ray becomes Group General Manager of the new RPG/MMO studio group. BioWare’s other co-founder, Greg Zeschuk will become Group Creative Officer for the new RPG/MMO studio group. Rob Denton will step up as General Manager of Mythic and report to Ray. BioWare’s studios remain unchanged and continue to report to Ray.

Mark Jacobs, co-founder and current General Manager of Mythic, will leave EA on June 23, 2009. We thank Mark for his contributions at Mythic and wish him the very best going forward. Mark played a major part in the success of Mythic with his contribution as General Manager and Lead Designer of WAR.

Mythic retains a strong team led by Rob who co-founded Mythic in 1995. Rob played a critical role in the development of Dark Age of Camelot. In his previous role as COO, he was responsible for all day-to-day management of the studio including all development, operations and support.

Please join us in celebrating the union of these two award-winning studios.

http://www.warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=841

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd say this was done because of KOTOR, Maybe EA looking to get some dev's on board with MMO experience. Mark Jacobs getting the sack is interesting I wonder if its because WarHammer online wasn't as big a hit as expected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd say this was done because of KOTOR, Maybe EA looking to get some dev's on board with MMO experience. Mark Jacobs getting the sack is interesting I wonder if its because WarHammer online wasn't as big a hit as expected.

I mentioned this in the thread in the WAR forum already, but he was on sabbatical for the last month leading up to the Land of the Dead expansion release, and didn't go voluntarily it would appear.

Spear wrote: »
    and didn't go voluntarily it would appear.
    Yeah I read that too, over on eurogamer I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I guess he might have thought the merger was not the right direction for both outfits. I would not disagree with him.

I guess he might have thought the merger was not the right direction for both outfits. I would not disagree with him.
    But if he thought that he would have just resigned surely? From the sounds of it he got the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

once it doesnt stop mass effect 2 / 3 being released i guess its ok i wouldnt be against a mass effect mmo either

Advertisement