Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucky Escapes

• 25-06-2009 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Just got sent this video and i have never seen such a lucky bastard before.

Any lucky escapes you'v had?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Fuqing amateurs. Ooooo he climbed a fountain. Some rebel he is.

The Rag Week Officer in 1998 tried to swim the Lough during the Christmas party (97 obv) in order to secure some lights for himself (ppl in the know will of course realise there's a crib et al there this time of year). Guaranteed trip to ICU if he'd managed to get into the water. He was tackled just short of the shore as I recall.

Is it just me or has Rag Week become less and less of an event than it used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

lee_arama wrote: »
    Fuqing amateurs. Ooooo he climbed a fountain. Some rebel he is.

The Rag Week Officer in 1998 tried to swim the Lough during the Christmas party (97 obv) in order to secure some lights for himself (ppl in the know will of course realise there's a crib et al there this time of year). Guaranteed trip to ICU if he'd managed to get into the water. He was tackled just short of the shore as I recall.

Is it just me or has Rag Week become less and less of an event than it used to be?

Got it on video ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Hit some black ice back in January while on a long left hand bend in the car and endedup flipping the car into the air and rolling 3 times and scraping along on the bonnett for about 30 yards! Walked away with only 18 stitches on my head and a wrecked car, could have been soo much worse. Thank God that there was no one else involved... Toyota corolla's FTY:cool:
    Definately my luckiest escape...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Fell down stairs 3 weeks ago & only (badly) cut & bruised a knee. I launched into the air & flew down 12 steps, landing on my knee on a tile floor. Rock solid bones I tells ye, dunno how I didn't suffer a worse injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

what the hell is the Guard in the back just standing there for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Doing his job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Claiming overtime obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

dylano_k wrote: »
    Just got sent this video and i have never seen such a lucky bastard before.

What a fúcking idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What a fúcking idiot.
    He's cool. A lots of fun kind of guy.

• Advertisement

I was actually having a discussion with a friend only a couple of days ago about how you never, ever see anybody fall into that fountain.

Well shut me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

He's an idiot in fairness. He should have hung from each ledge and dropped himself a little in order to get down safely.

I don't think safety is your number one priority when you're on top of a fountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

It was pretty funny when he fell, but that cork accent of people yelling in the background was driving me crazy!
    (nothing against the cork people, just don;t like their accents...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Was getting swept out to sea near Howth. Luckily a friend jumped in a pulled me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

My Ex.

*shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

got chased by a herd of cows when I was little

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

got chased by a herd of cows when I was little
    I fucking hate that!
    Cows go mental sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I ws conceived the night before my dad got a vasectomy.

Now THAT'S a lucky escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

phasers wrote: »
    I ws conceived the night before my dad got a vasectomy.

Now THAT'S a lucky escape.

Don't you have that backwards? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Was over in London visiting my aunt when i was 16 and we were driving back to her house one night. She had been having some car trouble with the clutch which she was due to have seen to the next day. Anyway she pulls out at this junction after traffic lights had changed and the car suddenly stops dead in the middle of the street. Next thing there's one of those red double decker buses driving towards the side of the passenger side where yours truly is sitting. All i could see were the buses headlights, followed by the two of us screaming and her furiously trying to start the car. Seriously it was like something out of a movie where the car starts up just as you think it's about to be hit. It's something we laugh about now whenever we meet up but i really thought my number was up that night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On a windy country road one night heading back home, nearly a full car passenger wise. I was a few feet from crashing into a ditch - the road had a straight stretch and there was a sudden sharp right turn I only spotted a few feet from it. No warning sign of anything. Scary stuff trying to take the emergency turn without crashing/overturning the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

On a chopper coming back from a rig in the North Sea.

Commercial size choppers are noisy & there's not much conversation. However, after about 90 minutes flying, one of the lads will always point out the first sight of land,and a few minutes later you see the chimney column of Peterhead power station. Then you know you're only about 15 minutes away from a pint.
    Anyway, this day, just after seeing the power station, we're all smiles & anticipation when suddenly....nothing. Silence. Then the pilot ..."gents, we've lost all power to both engines. The rotors are still turning & we'll try to restart, meantime tighten your seat belts & brace for impact".
    Cue 18 grown men in need of a change of trousers.

After what seemed like hours but was only seconds really,and a couple of failed attempts, we had dropped from 3000 feet to just over 1000 when the pilot successfully restarted the engines & we made it to the nearest field, where we put down & awaited the cavalry.
    During the event, we were all trying to put brave faces on it - if we survived, no-one wanted their mates telling everyone that you were a fanny! But those seconds were truly scary & I did think we were goners.
    Investigation later tried to blame fuel contamination but that wasn't viable - we'd used 3/4 of the fuel before the incident. Never did get a proper answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

lucky lads the lot of ye big b

I don't think safety is your number one priority when you're on top of a fountain.

I dont think safety is your number one priority when your scuttered drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I got attacked by a few Rams once, but wouldn't say it was very dangerous. I also had a Cock Rooster run after me and that was frightening experience as he had talons and was one vicious fecker. The fox soon sorted him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

As a little lad on a farm I got hounded by a goose. I managed to escape by climbing a haystack and waiting until he got bored and moved on. But then I got to eat the b*****d at Christmas. Revenge is better eaten cold later:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

This is about as close as it gets. Yer man even lost his shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

I've had quite a few close moments , probably one of the most recent was almost being knocked down by some fruitloop trying to catch an orange light.

• Advertisement

dylano_k wrote: »
    I dont think safety is your number one priority when your scuttered drunk.

On the contrary, I was wasted last week and walking around somewhere when an old woman asked me and my friend had we seen a brown dog. Well, we hadn't, but by gum we took it upon ourselves to rescue that damn dog.

And we did. Found it somewhere and returned it to the woman safe and sound. A testament to the idea that I am a better person when drunk.

Must have been a reward at the end of it..few hard boiled sweets for you out of the bottom of her handbag :D

Advertisement