Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage wall 4 inch Flat or 9 inch hollow ?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Just about to start digging out for garage (3.5 X 7M). It will be set back into the elevated lawn at rear of house. I plan on waterproofing the wall's & putting in a drainage channel around base of the walls. Finished lawn level will be back filled right up to garage wall and garage base will be 3 ft below this. This will be the case with one side wall and the back wall.
    I know that "tanking" is the preferred method, but I plan on building the walls with blocks and sealing the exterior with a waterproofing material(Aquaseal).
    My question relates to the properties of hollow blocks. Would a 4' solid block layed on its side provide better protection from a dampness point of view over a 9' hollow block layed normally.(Wall will be sealed externally)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

If you are confident that you will seal the back and side walls then i would recommend you use the solid 9" block below ground as the 9" pot block would be to weak to retain the soil.
    You can resume the build with the 9" pot block once you are above ground.
    Also as an added precaution i would also use a good grade membrane before you backfill as a solid 9" block WILL soak moisture like a sponge.
    keep in mind when you reach wallplate finish the last row with a solid 9" block.

Advertisement