Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

phone photographer

• 25-06-2009 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Don't see this posted elsewhere - sorry if it's been done..

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/shoptalk-4/?hp

I've found myself using the phone a lot more recently (although mine - a sony W595 - is really crap). I have to get the rangefinder fixed...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Chase Jarvis was the first guy I can recall doing this on a regular basis, used to post a shot a day from his iPhone. There's some good stuff there allright. Transcending the limitations of the medium and all that, or maybe embracing them as fajitas would have it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It is pre-processing using optical and technological limitations of the chosen gear. Like using Holga or Lomo. It's the picture that counts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I really like the idea. Might have a fiddle with my phone and see if I can get better quality images from it. I need a few new challenges.

Some of the stuff on his blog is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I may be missing the point here, but I don't see anything particularly interesting in this. :confused:

As far as him using a camera phone...I think big deal. It's not like there's anything overly antiquated about the technology.

Don't get me wrong, I love the images. I just wonder if his ambitions are to separate the image from the technology.....if this seems a bit the reverse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

eas wrote: »
    I just wonder if his ambitions are to separate the image from the technology.....if this seems a bit the reverse?

True. But I think its more the point that its challenging perceived wisdom about camera phones and decent photography. Or mine anyway. I don't think they're antiquated either - its not a Lomo thing. That was kind of the point for me. That you don't need the 5D or whatever's the flavour of the day on Lomography.

I have had little or no success EVER taking what I'd be happy with with my camera phone. Maybe its that I always use Sony Ericsson and they're particularly bad with focussing? I don't know. Just made me look at my own in a different light. Like I said I've been using mine a bit more to get 'snaps'. Might actually try doing something worthwhile with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sineadw wrote: »
    (although mine - a sony W595 - is really crap). .

i think that makes the images all the better, sure lofi is great once you accept it for what it is, can create images a slr cant, which is what i like

true, I get what you're saying about perceived wisdom and all that. I've the worst camera phone in the world and have never used it for anything more than....well nothing really.

He mentions something about converting people from DSLR to camera phones. A bit tongue-in-cheek I know, but the thing is you and I realize that it doesn't take much for a photo to look good (quality wise) on the screen. I probably couldn't tell the difference between dslr and camera phone image at 600pixels to save my life. The realistic limits of the phone files would become somewhat annoying when you wanted to move away from a web blog to actual prints or whatever.

Again, not trying to take anything away from his photography and success, but just not sure if it deserves much admiration because he uses a 3 year old Motorola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The wonderful thing of the mobile phone photography is that you have it almost always with you, it's quick enough and you don't need to carry another expensive piece of equipment with you.

The image quality is restricted to each make and model, so if you are looking for good camera phone, you have to pursue that feature. There are tests on the web focused just on camera qualities of the phones.

I do like it, I do use it (well, not so much recently) and as everything in creative arts - if it is used for purpose, why not? If it becomes a cliche (e,g, I don't process, I shoot only film, I use only mobile phone...), that might even restrict your own creativity and development.

I've just read the article again. It seems his focus is on the somewhat uncontrolled process and technique rather than the technology. So, maybe that's the point I was missing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I love the idea, creativity limited by technicality - Don Mullen had a great exhibition using his mobile in Gallery Number 1 - its incredibly hard to get consistent good shots with the old mobile - i find sony's phones the best camera phone , from my limited usage

• Advertisement
Advertisement