Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Samoyed puppy Gunnar :)

Options
  • 25-06-2009 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Well after all the researchand the waiting I finally got him yesterday so meet Gunnar my lil Samoyed :D
    Just want to say as well thanks to everyone who helped and supplied info for me :)

B7C58FC623FD4FB6B0F426D1ACCE827D.jpg
    Scoping out his new home :)

F4BE231AE1434385851BEE7C4A239FCD.jpg
    Posing

7EB19D898330409B824A30484BDA4912.jpg
    after play time!

Enjoy:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

He's a stunner Jen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

He's gorgeous jen.

I'd suggest getting him used to the groomers from a young age. I spent an hour yest grooming my guy and my back was broke,lol. Still haven't got all the knots out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

He's gorgeous congradulations! :)
    I love the second picture he's really smiley!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What a lovely dog. I hope you have many years with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

He is really lovely. I have a Samoyed and she is the most social, loyal and gentle dog. I agree with the poster who said it's important to keep on top of the brushing, their thick coats are amazing. Best wishes for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

rhonin wrote: »
    He's a stunner Jen :D
    Thanks Rhonin :D
    cloudy day wrote: »
    He's gorgeous jen.

I'd suggest getting him used to the groomers from a young age. I spent an hour yest grooming my guy and my back was broke,lol. Still haven't got all the knots out.
    Thanks Cloudy! Have looked up a groomer as is and I brushed him yest and today. (It's all fun while he's small wait untill he's huge and theres heaps of him to brush!! :D)
    What dog do you have cloudy? I think you might have mentioned it before but I forget! :o
    *Lees* wrote: »
    He's gorgeous congradulations! :)
    I love the second picture he's really smiley!! :D
    Thanks Lees :D I love their smiley faces it's what I love about the breed:) Though he's not smiling too much at the moment he's making racket outside after I just put him out! I want him to get used to being alone for a bit.
    It feels so cruel :(
    spurious wrote: »
    What a lovely dog. I hope you have many years with him.
    Thanks Spurious :)
    Maggie.23 wrote: »
    He is really lovely. I have a Samoyed and she is the most social, loyal and gentle dog. I agree with the poster who said it's important to keep on top of the brushing, their thick coats are amazing. Best wishes for the future.

Hi Maggie! How old is your Sammy?
    Can I ask how old was your Sammy when you first started washing her? Gunnars black already! Though he's only 8 weeks old so not sure If I can wash him yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

He is gorgeous thanks for sharing your pics.And good luck with your lovely boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Jen, was actually thinking of you the other day, delighted you finally got him! He's stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Gunnar is beautiful Jen, just divine! Congratultions hun!

Morganna wrote: »
    He is gorgeous thanks for sharing your pics.And good luck with your lovely boy.
    Thanks Morganna!
    00112984 wrote: »
    Jen, was actually thinking of you the other day, delighted you finally got him! He's stunning.
    Gunnar is beautiful Jen, just divine! Congratultions hun!

Thanks Socket!

Brought him out for a small walk on the lead we were prob gone about 40 mind and walked less than half a mile.:D By the end of it he was pulling mad on the lead and didn't want to go back. Awh:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

He is gorgeous congrats. hope he has had all his jabs etc before he goes walks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

oh for goodness sake, what a cutie!! :D

I hope you have many happy years together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hey Jen, hes gorgeous!!

Please make sure though that he has all his jabs before bringing him out. Parvo is a big killer in young pups and its very risky to bring them out until they are finished after all their injections.

Hi jen

I have a Samoyed. He's a darling. I have found with sam's, they are deadly for pulling and chewing, and will steal EVERYTHING left lying around,lol.

Seriously thinking bout getting him clipped in this heat. You will find the dirt will come out of their coats in a day or too naturally.

Skillie wrote: »
    He is gorgeous congrats. hope he has had all his jabs etc before he goes walks
    Thanks Skillie!
    Molberts wrote: »
    oh for goodness sake, what a cutie!! :D

I hope you have many happy years together :)
    Thanks Molberts:)
    andreac wrote: »
    Hey Jen, hes gorgeous!!

Please make sure though that he has all his jabs before bringing him out. Parvo is a big killer in young pups and its very risky to bring them out until they are finished after all their injections.
    Thanks Andreac :)
    Hi jen

I have a Samoyed. He's a darling. I have found with sam's, they are deadly for pulling and chewing, and will steal EVERYTHING left lying around,lol.

Seriously thinking bout getting him clipped in this heat. You will find the dirt will come out of their coats in a day or too naturally.
    Thanks Cloudy!!
    I'm beginning to realise I have really fluffy slippers and everytime he sees them he thinks they are his! Not to menion the brushes, any bag I have in my hand, my hand etc:D

I was really bold guys I brought him for a short walk the other day it was on pavement where there were no other dogs though!! (and he was watched carefully!!)
    But the breeder had said he would be okay to be around other dogs and that I didn't need to bring him for more vaccs for 4 months.

I brought him to the vet yesterday anyway just to get him used to it and get his de flea stuff and just a general check-up anyway.
    The vet that the vaccs he already got were useless as they were given at 6 weeks and since hs moms antibodies would have still been in his system they would have broke down the vaccs he got! I think the parvo was the only one that would have taken she said!!

So really glad I took him now. Going to get his 10 week vacs then his 12 week vacs a few days and then we can go proper walkies! Woohoo!!

I woke up this morning to runny poo all over his crate:( Poor pet has an upset belly. Going to have to give him a little wash later as he's a bit destroyed poor pet!!

Anyone have any remedies for upset tums?

Could be reaction to his injection. Was he also wormed. TBH if he was given his vaccination before he was taken off mum, he may not of been wormed regularly, or his mum.

Usuall peeps give the first injection at 8 wks before they go to new home. and will give you a worming record.

Did they also give you a sample of the food he was on. It's important not to change the food about with these guys as they get the runs really easy. You prob already know to give him 4 small meals a day.

Could be reaction to his injection. Was he also wormed. TBH if he was given his vaccination before he was taken off mum, he may not of been wormed regularly, or his mum.

Usuall peeps give the first injection at 8 wks before they go to new home. and will give you a worming record.

Did they also give you a sample of the food he was on. It's important not to change the food about with these guys as they get the runs really easy. You prob already know to give him 4 small meals a day.

Hey Cloudy!

He was doing much better yesterday So i think it may have been the wormer. He had his last dose of a 3 day wormer which the breeder gave him tue and wed and I finished on Thurs so maybe that upset him a bit?

He's on the same food as what the breeder had him on but the vet gave me samples of burns so instead of mixing the old with the new I gave him the new straight so that prob didn't help matters either!

I've been giving him 3 small meals a day (2 small handfulls of nuts soaked) would you recommend 4 instead?

Thanks Cloudy:)

I'm also thinking of asking the vet if he can get 8 and 10 week vacs instead of 10 and 12 weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Jen just be very careful about bringing him outside before the vaccs are up, i cant stress how important it is not to bring them out, i know you said there are no dogs around, but they can pick up bugs from the steet where the other dogs have been.

Parvo is a killer and can be caught out and about, so please, for the sake of a few weeks, just be very cautious and dont bring him for walks. I know a few people who have lost pups to parvo and its awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ciars23

First thing is your dog is gorgeous...hope your getting on great with it. Im really interested in buying one of these dogs but cant find a breeder. Can you give me contact details of the breeder you bought yours from please??? It would such a help. How much did you pay for it?

Hi Ciars,

Samoyeds are great fun! I know the person I got Gunnar off of doesn't have any more litters at the moment and probably won't for over a year so your best bet would be to ring Noreen Clarke on 059 9148674.
    She's the secretary for the Samoyed club of Ireland. I rang her originally to find a recommended breeder :)

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement