Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about wifi

Options
  • 25-06-2009 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

hi

I've got wifi in my house at the moment for all the laptop users but I use a desktop myself. I was thinking of moving it to another room though and buying a wifi card for it. But here's what I'm not really sure on;

- Is the signal on wifi cards anywhere near as good as that on laptops?

- Would it be possible to use it for online gaming

i'm thinking of moving it to an upstairs, front of house room and the wifi router is downstairs, back of house (normal sized semi detached house)

From what I gather so far the wifi cards dont seem to be as good as the wifi thingy in laptops so I don't know if i should bother buying one.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no reason why the wifi adapter for PCs should be any poorer that the built in ones in laptops, except for the quality of the product. I think the USB ones tend to be best, as they can be placed in the open, whereas the PCI ones with the aerial out the back, tend to be backed into the corner with the PC chassis blocking the signal. This could be why they are often said to be worse.

Wifi can sometimes effect gaming, depending on signal strength. If there is a large distance, and walls, between PC and router, then you're increasing the chances of problems, even more so if there is someone using a laptop on the Internet at the same time.

If you want to move the PC to another room, look into getting some Home Plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All true wjat jor el says
    But of course ethernet CAT5 cable is always better.

Advertisement