Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jeeps

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Whats the best jeep for pulling a box

cost to run, insure etc?

grand vitara, landrover, pajero?

Wicked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I've got a 2.0 diesel Vitara (1997) and it tows 2 TB horses well in a Hunter box. However, we found it isn't really able to regularly tow a much heavier weight - i.e. cattle trailer with 2-3 cattle in it, whereas the 2.8 Ford Maverick (same as Nissan Terrano) (1994)is much better for heavier loads and towing in mud. It was one of the few jeeps/boxes that didn't have to be towed out of Kilaloe ptp 2 years ago!

The only downside to the Maverick is the tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I've an 05 LWB commercial pajero sports..pulls 505 with 2 horses no problem, and recently pulled 510 with 2 16.2hh horses in it, also no problem. its 2.5ltr and tax is €288 for the year, insurance doesnt work out that expensive for the 2 of us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its not the towing you have to worry about so much as the stopping. I like to be well within the margins of safety (and legal) about towing. I have a commercial Kia Sorento which is rated to pull 2800kg I think. Its a big heavy jeep. An automatic which is great for towing as well. They're relatively cheap to buy for the year and capable towing vehicles. Not too bad to run either I believe although mine is too new to comment authoritatively on that. I only get about 25 mpg from it though. Thats about all you'll get from any big 4X4 though.

Other cars I considered were the terracan (second choice), pajero, landcruiser, disco and the terrano. They're all good towing vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

do you think a vitara would pull a 510 box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

daihatsu fourtrak, best towing vehicle out there, not made anymore though!

but well worth looking for one and trying it out!

• Advertisement

Wicked wrote: »
    do you think a vitara would pull a 510 box?

I wouldnt. Most I personally would do with a vitara is one horse in a 505.
    skink wrote: »
    daihatsu fourtrak, best towing vehicle out there, not made anymore though!

but well worth looking for one and trying it out!
    They're good workhorses alright, but probably not the most comfortable vehicle out there. In same league as defender imo (but more reliable).

I think the Hyundai Terracans are good value tbh. If you buy a commercial, they're quite affordable. Just make sure the timing belt has been changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

fits wrote: »
    I wouldnt. Most I personally would do with a vitara is one horse in a 505.

If driven properly a Vitara is well able to pull at least a 505 with 2 horses in it. It's also able to pull a cattle trailer with 3 decent-sized cattle in it, but it's not something I'd do with it every day. The Vitara is also very good at towing off road, much better than a lot of the lighter and newer jeeps.

I'm sure its well able to pull alright, its more the stopping and getting out of trouble that I'd be concerned about.

Advertisement