Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use my 360 to power......

• 25-06-2009 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My D-Link 4300 wired Gaming router via USB??? A long story short Ive managed to misplace my adapter for my gaming router and a replacement adaptor will set me back more than I got the 4300 for. The power rating is 5v 2.5amps. Just wondering if I use the USB on my xbox to power my 4300, is this safe or a disaster waiting to happen?

An extract form wiki...
    • USB runs with a 5 V power line, while Firewire can supply up to 30 V.
    • USB ports can provide up to 500mA of current (2.5 watts of power), while FireWire can in theory supply up to 60 watts of power, although 10 to 20 watts is more typical.
    So given the USB power rating is the same it shouldnt damage the router but perhaps the constant switching on and off could be the killer?!?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this before I do a mischief:eek:

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

usb has a standard specification, meaning that any usb port should be able to power your router, including your xbox..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RafoLordOfWars

hobochris wrote: »
    usb has a standard specification, meaning that any usb port should be able to power your router, including your xbox..

Thanks for quick responce but I cant find anyone doing the same set up for a router and xbox on google so Im just unsure of its practacalities. But as I said I dont want to have to buy a new adapter:confused::confused::confused:

Would you think its safe for the router? ps. the router does not have a usb port so im using a usb to dc power pin thingy.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

look again,
    your router needs 2.5a - that gives 12.5w
    usb can give 0.5a - that gives 2.5w

You might burn your xbox, but I might be wrong on this

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RafoLordOfWars

docentore wrote: »
    look again,
    your router needs 2.5a - that gives 12.5w
    usb can give 0.5a - that gives 2.5w

You might burn your xbox, but I might be wrong on this

Thanks for the heads up, not realy up to par with all the amps thing. Think I'l give this a miss for now just incase...but if anyone knows for sure if this is compatable please let me know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I thought your router had a usb power port.. as mentioned above it may be to much drain for your xbox.

Id check argos you'll get a universal power adapter cheap enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

no probs at all. also I think if you'd leave the router connected the xbox would stay in sleep mode (or something similar). It would be thinking that you're charging your controller ;)

Advertisement