Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for minimising stretchmarks?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:18am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I haven't started to show yet but I want to be ready when I do.. Anyone got any great creams or lotions to help minimise the trauma to your skin??

I know Bio Oil is supposed to be great but it's a bit dear to be lashing all over yourself daily.. any others???

I know it's not the end of the world but the thoughts of getting stretchmarks is kinda freaking me out :( I've always taken pride in my figure and don't want it to change too much.. I know my body will have to go through a lot etc etc but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

I've started as I mean to go on, diet wise, I'm eating loads of fruit and veg and I'm keeping active etc and intend to do so throughout my pregnancy so in that sense I know I'll be doing all I can but I know I'll be prone to stretchmarks cause my mother has them and my sister got loads from having her kids..

Cheers.. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Well, the amount of Bio-Oil you use each time is actually miniscule. I have a bottle (smaller one) and have been using it weekly all over for the past year and a half and still have a quarter bottle left.

It's well worth it because you use so little each time.

I don't think you can totally avoid stretchmarks, and if you're prone to them anyway they're going to appear regardless.

The bio-oil is great though for making them blend back in with your skin.

I started my pregnancy with a good diet also, until the morning sickness kicked in and now it's basically whatever I can keep down. Hopefully it will get better soon and I can eat veg again! Be prepared to feel like crap and maybe look like crap too for a while, don't be too hard on yourself if you do, if you think about what your body is doing, you'll actually be grateful it's not worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Hi alias one and two!!
    Yep I hear you re the stretchys!! I too was freaked out at the prospect of changes to my body, quite fit had to give up my sport for the preg, started to worry and ask anyone with a womb and a child who listen if they had gotten them or not... main thing is genes I guess, but also towards the end be very careful not to pile on the weight as this is when they start to appear... I've none so far but after seven months of gradually coming to terms with it all I'm getting closer to the 'don't care if I do' mind set than I ever thought I would... guess thats why this pregnancy lark goes on for 9 mths so we can all get our little heads around it!!
    Anyway here's my tip, have bio oil, but just didn't like the smell in early days, tried other expensive stuff (gifts from mates!) but I have to say I am happiest with the good old Body Shop Vit E cream (there's a range, cream boby butter etc), I'm lashing it on every evening. Will keep you informed if any appear but it smells and feels nice in the meantime at any rate!!
    Hope this helps. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

you're best off using any cream with vit e in it or pure vit e oil (health shops sell it real cheap!) until you get them- hopefully you wont! and then use bio oil if you get some! i used palmers cocoa butter (sp?) throughout my pregnancy but never used it on the booby area (naive 16year old, i didnt know id get them there! :() and thats the only place i got stretch marks! zilch on my belly/hips!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bio oil. The mrs used it religiously on her last pregnancy and not a stretch mark in sight despite getting quite a big bump and ENORMOUS boobies after baby was born (EE cup!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

I can't recommend bio oil enough and as other poster's have said you don't actually use that much so a small bottle can last you for weeks or even months. Bio oil is actually used to treat people with scars so it's perfect for stretchmark's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Hi :rolleyes: I have to agree with the others, Bio Oil seems to be brilliant. I was also told that if you scrub the skin it increases the blood circulation and can help prevent stretch marks, some women actually get itchy skin durning pregnancy and this helps with that problem too. If you don't want to use Bio Oil, exfoliate and then use Palmers coco butter. Its still expensive at €9 but I use that too some days and I've been told it also works a treat.

The Bio Oil is great tho, I use it after a shower, just rub it all over and it dries in in no time at all.

If anyone else comes up with something new keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Well, 1 baby and no stretchmarks here! :)

I exfoliated just about everyday.
    I used a clarins cream especially for stretchmarks on my tummy
    And also used a body butter for the rest of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fashionista!

Aren't stretch marks down to your skin type though? You can cream and oil up every day twice a day and it mightn't make the slightest bit of difference.

You're either stretch mark prone or not! God I hope I'm not!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Aparently it is hereditary so if your mother has stretch marks or your sisters your more than likely going to get them.

However there are always exceptions to this rule thats why people exfoliate and apply oils and creams because anything to help reduce them or prevent them is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Bio-Oil is definitely best, and it does last ages. But for those on a slightly less budget a good second choice is Johnson's Baby Oil. I use it to moisturise my skin after showers but I have noticed that it has shrunken and faded my stretch marks too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Not sure about the hereditary bit, my mam got covered in stretchmarks and i'm 30 weeks into my third pregnant and don't have a single stretchmark!

Used baby oil on the first 2 but being a bit older this time i went for the bio oil and i have to say don't see any difference in bio and baby oil.

I think as long as your are massaging the skin and keeping it supple you can prevent them to a certain extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Kikib

I made the mistake in stopping to use the bio oil once I had my baby,... Which is actually bad cuz u can get stretch marks from losing weight. So I got none the whole time I was pregnant, I used bio oil every night! And got stretch marks then a few weeks after I was so disappointed .... I've started using it again now....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Keep an eye out for the Aldi special offers because they do their own version of Bio oil, seems to be an exact copy of it, all the reviews for it are good.
    It's only €4.49 for 125ml compared to nearly €20 for the same size Bio oil.
    It's not available there at the mo but they bring it out every so often.

Here's a link to the ad from the last time it was out http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16361.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Mamo Mio products are also supposed to be brilliant. They cost around €27 but last for at least 3 months

http://www.mamamio.com/us/tummy-rub-stretch-mark-butter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Butter, you can't beat it.

Tayla wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for the Aldi special offers because they do their own version of Bio oil, seems to be an exact copy of it, all the reviews for it are good.
    It's only €4.49 for 125ml compared to nearly €20 for the same size Bio oil.
    It's not available there at the mo but they bring it out every so often.

Here's a link to the ad from the last time it was out http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_16361.htm
    I buy my bits and pieces on a website that offers cosmetics etc at a discounted price they have suncream,cleansers,toners etc. If u spend over 25 euro it's free shipping and being honest that adds up quick.

I get the loreal stuff for my other half and few bits for myself, like bio oil etc and get shipping free... Here is a link http://www.smartchoice.ie/20_bio-oil it's worth a go...
    I do love a aldi too, I use their night cream it's brilliant!

I see mother care in my town doesn't stock it anymore either? They used to have it....

Kikib wrote: »
    I made the mistake in stopping to use the bio oil once I had my baby,... Which is actually bad cuz u can get stretch marks from losing weight. So I got none the whole time I was pregnant, I used bio oil every night! And got stretch marks then a few weeks after I was so disappointed .... I've started using it again now....
    X

Advertisement