Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unions should seek higher wages to compensate for higher taxes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

irish_bob wrote: »
    joe GAMBLES 5 DAYS A WEEK,s vote is as good to fianna fail as joe the plumber who gets up at 6 every morning and puts in over 60 hours a week, the ambitious have less resepct than the feckless in biffos ireland of 2009

Huh? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with Irish Bob's post. Far too much going out from taxpayer to people who think work is a dirty four letter word, and are laughing at those who work hard to sustain their families.

For instance it is time for a major CAB type investigation as to why groups of travellers have top of the range vehciles, current 08 or 09 models, and are yet getting dole or other social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

And here's another swell idea, lets print loads of money and give everyone a million euro so no-one will ever be poor again, that will work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

EF wrote: »

If social welfare isn't cut in the next budget though I will be very disappointed as I just see too many people living more than comfortable lives with no ambition to go out and find a job!

I guess you live in an alternate universe where there are jobs no one has the ambition to go out and get.

mike65 wrote: »
    Militant = unemployed.

everyone=unemployed
    banker!=unemployed

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »
    I agree with Irish Bob's post. Far too much going out from taxpayer to people who think work is a dirty four letter word, and are laughing at those who work hard to sustain their families.

For instance it is time for a major CAB type investigation as to why groups of travellers have top of the range vehciles, current 08 or 09 models, and are yet getting dole or other social welfare payments.

Yeah because the dole scroungers are the ones who wrecked the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

sovtek wrote: »
    I guess you live in an alternate universe where there are jobs no one has the ambition to go out and get.

No but there have been reports of people who have turned down work because they have it better on the dole!
    Yeah because the dole scroungers are the ones who wrecked the economy.

Out of touch with reality, although we all hate them, alas they did not wreck the economy

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    No but there have been reports of people who have turned down work because they have it better on the dole!

My god they should be shot!
    Hasn't that always been the case though? There's always going to be people that scam the system. Do you cut someones head off when they have a cold?

Out of touch with reality, although we all hate them, alas they did not wreck the economy

I would more likely hate the people that did actually wreck the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Do you cut someones head off when they have a cold?

Do you force someone out to work when theyre on their death bed?

You see, its kinda like someone is the taxpayer, their work is providing for the unemployed...and their on their deathbed because...well, the state is basically spending twice what we're getting in...
    I would more likely hate the people that did actually wreck the economy.

The social partners? With an idealogy best expressed by the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Sand wrote: »
    The social partners? With an idealogy best expressed by the OP?

Although they did help public spending reach astronomical amounts, I don't know if they were entirely to blame for this mess either. They certainly aren't helping us get out of it though..

• Advertisement

Theres no one entity to blame of course.

Social partners should not have demanded benchmarking/payrises.
    Government should have said no.
    People shouldnt have borrowed so much.
    Banks shouldnt have lent so much.
    Regulator should have done their job.
    Voters should have voted in...well, I dont know...was there a party arguing for sensible fiscal controls as opposed to being bitter that they couldnt stick their snouts in the trough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

gerry28 wrote: »
    Lots of young people were only children when the madness started and ended up paying through the nose for everything when they grew up and entered the real world.

They had a nice enough time with all those playstations and fkn ringtones and being carted to school in an SUV every day when they should have been using their feet instead and playing outdoors so that they wouldn't be 12 stone by the time they're 14. The little spoilt brats 'tiger cubs'...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I see jobs advertised in shop windows everyday in Dublin city so there are jobs there to be had! They might not be great jobs but maybe these jobs are below the pyjama wearing brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

EF wrote: »
    I see jobs advertised in shop windows everyday in Dublin city so there are jobs there to be had! They might not be great jobs but maybe these jobs are below the pyjama wearing brigade

When I was out looking for work, there were indeed a lot of signs giving vacancies, however, nearly all of these wanted years of experience; because demand exceeded supply the employers could be extremely choost as to what they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

When I was out looking for work, there were indeed a lot of signs giving vacancies, however, nearly all of these wanted years of experience; because demand exceeded supply the employers could be extremely choost as to what they wanted.

And did you get a job in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

My god they should be shot!
    Hasn't that always been the case though? There's always going to be people that scam the system. Do you cut someones head off when they have a cold?

True, but the more attractive you make social welfare, the greater the temptation to scam it. Ireland doesn't have the best Social Welfare payment rate in Europe (the Germans and Scandinavians both pay out more), but relative to our GDP we spend the most and we simply can't afford it. If you go on the dole here, your retained earnings are about 55% of the average wage, in the UK its 40% and their minimum wage is lower, but they still have a perceived problem with "dole scroungers". Imagine how much worse it is for us? We need to get to the kind of level of social welfare payment that gives a greater incentive to take that "low paid" job.

Hookey wrote: »
    True, but the more attractive you make social welfare, the greater the temptation to scam it. Ireland doesn't have the best Social Welfare payment rate in Europe (the Germans and Scandinavians both pay out more), but relative to our GDP we spend the most and we simply can't afford it. If you go on the dole here, your retained earnings are about 55% of the average wage, in the UK its 40% and their minimum wage is lower, but they still have a perceived problem with "dole scroungers". Imagine how much worse it is for us? We need to get to the kind of level of social welfare payment that gives a greater incentive to take that "low paid" job.

One day that person that is forced into a ****ty job may be you.

One day that person that is forced into a ****ty job may be you.

Taking a ****ty low paid job is better for a persons self respect than sitting on the dole.

A welfare state so generous that it becomes an alternative to taking on a job ( any job) wipes out communities and their self respect. Its no surprise that they then become practically slums.

Advertisement