Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Package signed for but not received.

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I've been waiting on a package for a month now. I chased up with the sender who gave me a tracking number for their country which I eventually translated into a tracking number for An Post.

When I went to An Posts Track & Trace page and put in the number it says delivered and there's a tickbox to request Proof of Delivery. So I ticked that and they emailed me the details.

The package was posted to M. O'Neill and was signed for by M. O'Neill. earlier this month. Obviously that wasn't me and it's nothing like my signature. On the date of the delivery both of us that live in the house left by 7:30AM and neither of us were back until about 7ish that evening (that's pretty much our schedule every weekday).

So the package hasn't been delivered to my address. I definitely haven't signed for it but An Post have a signature. I've contacted their customer services who are going to get back to me but I'm guessing they're going to say they have a signature so hard luck.

Has anybody had this happen to them and do you know if I've any comeback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You'll have to wait until customer service get back to you, but they will investigate it (very slowly). Sometimes, a postman will sign for a registered himself, and leave it in the letterbox (if it fits) or I've even seen packages left under the door mat, or on a windowsill. If that's what happened, then someone could have nicked it.

Bottom line, you should contact the sender, tell them that the signature on the delivery is not yours, and tell him you have asked An Post to investigate it. He may need to initiate an investigation at his end too, as the sender is the one who has the original proof of postage, and the one who paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

its more than likely a case of the postman signing for it and leaving it there

its happened me so many times its ridiculous ,once an ipod from the uk was left downstairs (IN A BLOCK OF FLATS !!) only a kind neighbour picked it up it would have been thieved

it enrages me when it happens because you havent a leg to stand on when making a paypal claim

most recently they did it to my passport and visa right before a holiday (i would have been screwed if i hadnt recieved it )

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

bit of a different angle here but what happens in this case is the seller expected to refund for the item, or what is the general procedure here? Do An Post have to give some sort of compensation?

Tony255 wrote: »
    bit of a different angle here but what happens in this case is the seller expected to refund for the item, or what is the general procedure here? Do An Post have to give some sort of compensation?

the seller can prove the goods were delivered to the buyer in this case

Usually this would go in favour of the seller

very recently i shipped an ipod to a guy and he pulled a paypal chargeback ,paypal investigated and dismissed his claim because we had proof it was signed for at his address

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

madmik wrote: »
    the seller can prove the goods were delivered to the buyer in this case

Usually this would go in favour of the seller

Yeah, that's my problem here. Seller sees proof of delivery with a signature. He doesn't care anymore (and why would he?). But he's not seeing proof that the goods were delivered to the buyer. He's seeing proof that somebody signed a delivery docket with my name. I would have assumed before that these were the same thing.

I've been getting stuff delivered to work as my postman does leave packages at the front door (I meant to do that for this order too but I ticked the wrong address on the web form and chose my home address). I've come home during the evening before to find packages at the front mat. I didn't presume that the postman was signing for them though. That's a bit useless. I have gotten the dockets in the door before saying come down to the depot to pick up the box. I thought that's what would happen in this case too.

The three possibilities I can think of are

1: The postman dropped it off and signed the docket.
    2: He dropped it off at the wrong address and somebody else signed my name.
    3: Somebody nicked it.

All of those situations are crap for me because to the seller it looks like it's received and won't ship another one.

I didn't receive it and it's only me and my missus in our house so there's no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

madmik wrote: »
    very recently i shipped an ipod to a guy and he pulled a paypal chargeback ,paypal investigated and dismissed his claim because we had proof it was signed for at his address

the nerve!!!!

eightyfish wrote: »
    the nerve!!!!

a lotta cream crackers out there!

Advertisement