Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I'm addicted to upgrading

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start this thread as a discussion for those of us who are addicted to upgrading their components on a half weekly basis. I myself was hooked on changing components but in recent times have curbed my addiction and try to thoroughly justify the upgrade before I commit to buying something new.

The way I think this should work is that people post up what they have and what they are looking to buy and then people can help them justify whether or not they need the upgrade.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops,

Req

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My biggest problem lies in not upgrading, but my majestic plans that always exceed my means. Invariably goes like this in theory: Sell performance parts, keep on eye on new parts and buy cheap parts and use them in the short interim. What actually happens: Sell performance parts, buy cheap parts and then get stuck with them for months when you spend the money on something else.

So my 'upgrade' paths have been like this...

E6400 with 3870 512MB to Pentium D and 7900GS
    Then
    Q6600 with 8800GTS 512MB Sli on 650i to E2140 and 8800GS Sli
    then
    E2140 and 8800GS Sli to Pentium D (again) with 7900GS Sli

So I keep going through cycles of having a good and crap computer in equal measure. My last one managed to jump to an E8600 with GTX260 Sli, and I'm determined not to slip back again. But no plans to upgrade anything at all really, apart from maybe minor stuff like hard drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I've haven't been too bad as of late but i was looking at getting a rampage 2 and core i7 965 off adverts but then i though why spend money on that, why not get two solid state drives. Now i'm considering dropping 350 on two ssd's but i'm going to wait till i get back from my holiday to see my cash flow.

I was thinking of buying a case and just modding that to my desire for the next few months and then once that was finished looking to getting new parts. The wanting never seems to end so i'm trying to find ways of averting my attention:(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

requiem1 wrote: »
    I thought I'd start this thread as a discussion for those of us who are addicted to upgrading their components on a half weekly basis. I myself was hooked on changing components but in recent times have curbed my addiction and try to thoroughly justify the upgrade before I commit to buying something new.
    I was too, until I realized that it was far too much of a cost to keep doing so. My Q9450 and HD4870 are going to have to do for another year at least. :rolleyes:

Advertisement