Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids on the roads

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

Firstly, I like kids, love to see them out playing etc.... but could parents PLEASE inform their darlings of the rules of the road.

On 2 occasions now I have had to stop because a child has shot out from the path or from behind a car on their bikes, luckily I wasnt driving fast. On both occassions when I stopped and said something to the child, first guy gave me lip, (had a v bad day so kept driving otherwise may have got out of car and strangled him :eek:) Last night I got the 'what????' look :confused:

So please have a word before something serious happens.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm all for making kids aware of the dangers of traffic, but on the greens in particular its inevitable that you're going to encounter kids running around and you should be driving dead dead slow as a result - the huge amount of parked cars just makes the situation worse.

In Ch. Court they have a 20km/h limit on the residential roads - I personally think this should be in place throughout Charlesland (there should be speed ramps as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Oh I was driving dead slow and agree about speed limit, Im in the court. Thats how I didnt hit him. But he practically ran into my car - he saw me coming and didnt stop...the road was his :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I live in the Court. Am totally aware what you say and drive slowly to suit. This means driving slowly down the spine road always watching the kerbside in particular to see if there are toys, balls, bikes etc to warn me that kids are about and expect them to be totally unpredictable always. In the Court there is a family that allows a very small group of kids on the road with their bikes and toys. I always expect them and so I will not hit them. I see other people speeding down the spine rd. oblivious to all of the above and know that it really is only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

LMC wrote: »
    Hi,

Firstly, I like kids, love to see them out playing etc.... but could parents PLEASE inform their darlings of the rules of the road.

On 2 occasions now I have had to stop because a child has shot out from the path or from behind a car on their bikes, luckily I wasnt driving fast. On both occassions when I stopped and said something to the child, first guy gave me lip, (had a v bad day so kept driving otherwise may have got out of car and strangled him :eek:) Last night I got the 'what????' look :confused:

So please have a word before something serious happens.

Cheers

My OH recently missed a child by about 2 inches, he ran out from behind a car as he was being chased. And as a witness, I know my OH wouldn't have been doing more than 20km. My OH stopped the car and asked the child where he lived. He went to the child's house and spoke with his mother. Luckily the mother was very understanding and took it well and gave out to the child but I know this could turn nasty. Whenever I see this child now I stall in first gear I go so slow. It's just so scary to think that he was 2 inches from hitting that kid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

I would suggest that most people giving out about children on here haven't got any. If they had they would know that you can be the best parent in the world, talk and train your kids about road safety BUT ultimately they are learning and the risk we take is hopefully not from mistakes.

We have decided to let our children play out for the first time, under strict "rules" as we feel giving them some freedom is good for them. As with any child they break the rules occassionally and we disipline appropriately. Other than that they would be stuck inside all day which can't be healthy.

I am shocked at the speed at which people drive around the place. Ultimately we are the adults we have to take responsibilty for our actions.

Its easy SLOW DOWN and expected the unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GingerDave wrote: »
    I am shocked at the speed at which people drive around the place. Ultimately we are the adults we have to take responsibilty for our actions.

+1

if a car hits a kid (or an adult) its not going to do much damage to the car - pedestrians have to have priority at all times. If I was designing charlesland again I'd make the areas around the greens all footpath. The next best thing would be speed ramps, but the management co. seem to be dragging their heels on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

I would suggest that most people giving out about children on here haven't got any. If they had they would know that you can be the best parent in the world, talk and train your kids about road safety BUT ultimately they are learning and the risk we take is hopefully not from mistakes.

We have decided to let our children play out for the first time, under strict "rules" as we feel giving them some freedom is good for them. As with any child they break the rules occassionally and we disipline appropriately. Other than that they would be stuck inside all day which can't be healthy.

Totally respect your opinion. You're right, they are only children and a parent can only do so much. It is really shocking how fast people drive through estates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

WOW...I was not implying anyone wasnt a good parent and I TOTALLY understand that kids will be kids and as my post says I think its great to see them out playing.

Yes there are idiots out there who speed and will always speed no matter what. Luckily I was not speeding and am mindful of them out playing or we there would be a totally different discussion here! But unfortunately there are people who are not mindful of them so children should be made aware of that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

LMC wrote: »
    WOW...I was not implying anyone wasnt a good parent.....

It wasn't a personally attack on you LMC.
    Its good the topic can be discussed and raise awareness of an issue always on the back of a parents mind.

BTW if my child ran straight out in front of a car and was lucky to not be hit I would appreciate it if the driver came to find me so that I was aware and get them to learn from it.

Don't get me wrong we are never too far away and check on them every 10mins or so but the whole point of giving then freedom is not to be constently on thier toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 avantarklu

I witnessed a parent crossing the road mid-way up the spine road this week along with 2 small children.
    A driver had stopped to allow them cross only to have the idiot behind overtake!
    How he didn’t hit one of them, I do not know.

So to the idiot in the navy Peugeot 206 – you’re an idiot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

avantarklu wrote: »
    A driver had stopped to allow them cross only to have the idiot behind overtake!

I don't understand when drivers behind me do this even when there aren't pedestrians noticeably present, when I slow down to turn off the spine road. It's like they feel they shouldn't have to slow down just because some car in front of them is making a turn which will delay them approximately 8 seconds. If there was a pedestrian at the corner on the far side and they saw me indicating to turn, they might think it safe to cross the road at that point, but could be flattened by the speeding over-taker. A car entering the spine road at my corner or the next could meet the same fate.

When LMC said that about teaching the kids the rules of the road I held my tongue about saying there's plenty of adults around who need to learn them too. I didn't say it the because I agreed with her point and didn't want to distract from it -- hearing this story, I can't hold back anymore. There's a certain amount of dangerous, sloppy, against-the-rules driving going on in the estate, and it's just infuriating when you consider it would take about 30 seconds to get across the estate end to end driving safely. I'd like to see licensed drivers obey the rules, but in the event of that never happening, traffic calming or stop signs or something is needed to make the estate safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

Fair point Dave. Parents have so much to worry about these days with child security, the least we can give them is freedom to play on on these hot summer days.

I heard that notices had to be placed up in Puroga creche as a result of the people who were dropping kids into the creche were driving too fast through the residential estates.

I think a sea change of attitude needs to be adopted fast, before something serious happens. Pedestrians, children need now to be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Driving down Mill St in my van the other night I watched an 8 year old boy messing. He slipped and rolled right out into the road, in front of me, just at the entrance to the beach and the kids playground. Scared the life out of me, not to mention him. He picked himself up, full of tears and limped back to the pavement. I then noticed the man 30 yards of ahead of him must be his dad. Almost got out and booted the dad up the 'arris.

Advertisement