Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crossing the finishing line - my goal

• 25-06-2009 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

To be put it simply 4 months ago I was unable to run for more than 5 minutes without getting out of breath and giving up. Running for me was a struggle and something that I could never imagine enjoying.

When my husband told me that he was training for the Dublin marathon I thought he was mad - why would anyone want to run 26.2 miles and put their body through hell?

but the more I thought about it.. the more that I saw it as a challenge.. something i could achieve for myself. I couldn't run to save my life though so how on earth would I ever be able to do it? I work very long hours so I would never be able to fit in exercise...The most exercise I did was jumping round the room to an exercise dvd kidding myself that I would eventually get as fit as the latest size 0 soap star who was jumping around on the screen before me!

So putting my negative thoughts behind me I embarked on my new challenge - to run.

Four months later, one new gym membership (plus 50 euro earned off a work collegue that said I would never go for 4 straight months) plus many early mornings (in gym for 6am)... and now I am into week 1 of the Hal Higdons novice 1 marathon training schedule...
    Have completed my first three 3 mile runs and although I am running at a fairly slow pace ...I am getting there and more importantly I am even more determined than ever to get across that finishing line! At the moment I have been doing my runs on the running machine before work and will continue to do my small runs there as well. My first outdoor run will be on Saturday when I do my first 6 mile run....

Must admit I am aching like never before and at times when I am running I lose the will to carry on...but I'm still pushing forward and being positive. Its rest day tommorow and I must admit I am looking forward to having a day off... will need it before saturday... my first 6 miles - the thought scares me and its all very daunting - but then I have to think back... 4 months ago I couldn't run for 5 minutes....its time to dig deep and believe anything is possible!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Best of luck with it, you'll do great.
    Key thing is that you have a plan, so you're not gonna go off trying to do crazy mileage too soon.

I ain't planning even a half marathon til next year, so fair play on setting yourself an impressive goal.

One small word of warning - road running is a bit tougher than a treadmill, so take note of that ahead of Saturday, and be aware of your pace, aim to finish each run, don't bust a gut at the start (I should have taken that advice myslef last night).
    Not trying to scare you, just letting you know, some folks on here would recommend setting the treadmill to a 1 or 1.5% incline to make it more like a regular outdoor run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ducky1

Hi there - thanks so much for your advice - once my runs get a little easier (she says hopefully) i will try a slight incline..

At the moment I haven't had to walk any of my 3 mile runs.. but i'd say the 6 mile will be very tough and I can see myself walking at times - but I will be determined to finish.

wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Ducky1 how is the running going for you?

Hi bally8..

Running is still on track.. coming to the end of week 3 now.. still not running that fast but getting there. I find a 3 mile run doable now just need to work out how to do the other 23 odd!!

next week will be a challenge - a 9 mile run on the Saturday!! just the thought makes me nervous..

glad to hear your running is going to plan also.. keep it up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Well done Ducky1
    You're doing better than I am. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ducky1 wrote: »
    next week will be a challenge - a 9 mile run on the Saturday!! just the thought makes me nervous..

I know, 9 miles is scary, Im still getting over the 7 miles from last week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine... if it helps, just think of it in terms of time - "Sure what would I be doing with another ten minutes anyway!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

keep it going, won't be long till you're looking back wondering what the fuss was about :) seriously

Into week 4 of the training.. 3 miles today felt fine - maybe I am finally getting into the swing of things!

9 miles still looming ahead on Saturday... still getting nervous just thinking about it!

Hope everyones training is going to plan... this rain isn't helping with things though!

Advertisement