Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SC Gov. Sanford admits affair after going AWOL

• 25-06-2009 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Very interesting piece of news here
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sc_governor_where;_ylt=AlxfG1Qhbd1wZypqxUZbsn5zfNdF
    South Carolina's governor once cited "moral legitimacy" when he was a congressman voting for President Bill Clinton's impeachment. He became a darling of fiscal conservatives over his ideological opposition to federal stimulus cash.

Now Mark Sanford has taken a swan dive from the moral high ground.

By admitting to an extramarital affair with a woman in Argentina on Wednesday, the Republican governor makes the already-difficult end of his term-limited administration nearly untenable.

He has alienated leaders of his GOP-dominated state Legislature for years, but said recently he was finding comfort outside the Statehouse as a champion for smaller government and lower taxes.

He was raising his national political profile with his outspoken fight against using federal cash for anything but paying down debt. As chairman of the Republican Governors Association, he was raising money for candidates and deflecting talk he was planning to run for president in 2012.

The speed of his collapse was shocking.

So what are your thoughts? discuss....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

TL;DR version.

He cheated, got caught, flew to Argentina, was dumped, whinged, resigned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not a sh!t do I give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I absolutely love seeing these hypocritical, god fearing, moral majority conservatives taking it in the ass in stories like this.

These people are a pack of self righteous, bible bashing, pantry drinking, buffoons who believe that everyone should live by moral virtues that don't apply to themselves.

You'll probably find him cruising the men's rooms of the local bus station in the next few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have never heard of Mark Sanford so really I couldn't give two ****s about his affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Love it, it's always the ones that think they are morally superior to the rest of the human race that end up making total tits of themselves and I for could not be happier. These people need to have the saying ‘people in glass houses should not throw stones’ written on their foreheads!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Infidelity shouldn't matter. Incompetence should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Porkpie wrote: »

Yeah UNLESS your campaign is based in being a Christian and a bible basher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Porkpie wrote: »

Yes it should! Keeelll all the infidels! keel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Karma is a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Karma is a bitch.

Bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Definately not living up to the standards of the Republican Party.

Usually they have affairs with rentboys or the like. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

The poor poor man. I hope he can heal his spirit with the good book.
    As opposed to trying to heal it with his cock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Politician in "says one thing, does another" shocker :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, he was separated from his wife, so it's not entirely the same as most affairs.

Got to admire the balls of him, though. Holding a press conference as soon as he gets back. "Yeah, I was away, having an affair. I deny nothing."

NTM

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well, he was separated from his wife, so it's not entirely the same as most affairs.

Got to admire the balls of him, though. Holding a press conference as soon as he gets back. "Yeah, I was away, having an affair. I deny nothing."

NTM

LOL, it's been going on a year and his wife kicked him out 5 months ago. I reckon it is entirely the same as most affairs.

Don't really admire anything about him when he's such a preacher of family values for everyone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My error. My hearing of the news indicated that it was a long-term friend with whom he took the the 'next level' only recently, but it was the car radio and I was not paying full attention.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My error. My hearing of the news indicated that it was a long-term friend with whom he took the the 'next level' only recently, but it was the car radio and I was not paying full attention.

NTM
    I heard the same thing on 2FM this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Not a sh!t do I give

I find it both significant and hi-fucking-larious, but i appreciate that it's not something that everyone (let alone the fine minds of AH) cares about.

Advertisement