Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong Fuel

• 25-06-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows how much (ish) it is going to cost to drain a fuel tank and get the car working again?

Story goes, this morning put 30e diesel into an 06 automatic Forester instead of petrol. Then made the bigger mistake of starting it and trying to drive off. Tank was pretty much empty beforehand and only made it about 20 metres before it cut out.

Got a tow to a mechanic my family always use from my insurance company and the mechanic is a local lad who wont be a rip off merchant. Also gave him 20 litres of unleaded to use to wash out the system once it had been drained.

Any ideas of how much it might cost?

And yes, I do feel very stupid and annoyed (at myself) for this so advice only please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Some years ago a friend put 20 litres+ of diesel in my Lancia Delta integrale, at 10pm on a Sunday night in Mullingar. Same thing, car cut out before leaving the forecourt. I called the AA, they sent out a guy with a flatbed who towed us to a shed in the middle of a field, sucked out the diesel, refilled with petrol, and away we went. Fingers crossed!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Anan1 wrote: »
    Some years ago a friend put 20 litres+ of diesel in my Lancia Delta integrale, at 10pm on a Sunday night in Mullingar. Same thing, car cut out before leaving the forecourt. I called the AA, they sent out a guy with a flatbed who towed us to a shed in the middle of a field, sucked out the diesel, refilled with petrol, and away we went. Fingers crossed!:)

:eek: into an Integrale?! I dont know if I could be friends with someone after that lol

You still have the car? Love em...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows how much (ish) it is going to cost to drain a fuel tank and get the car working again?

Story goes, this morning put 30e diesel into an 06 automatic Forester instead of petrol. Then made the bigger mistake of starting it and trying to drive off. Tank was pretty much empty beforehand and only made it about 20 metres before it cut out.

Got a tow to a mechanic my family always use from my insurance company and the mechanic is a local lad who wont be a rip off merchant. Also gave him 20 litres of unleaded to use to wash out the system once it had been drained.

Any ideas of how much it might cost?

And yes, I do feel very stupid and annoyed (at myself) for this so advice only please

Out of curiosity how did you manage to get the diesel nozzle to fit into the petrol tank mouth? I had always thought the diesel nozzle was too big to fit into a petrol tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

OP, its no biggie.
    Worst case is an hour's work washing petrol through. More likely draining the tank & turning the key will get it running in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

quarryman wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how did you manage to get the diesel nozzle to fit into the petrol tank mouth? I had always thought the diesel nozzle was too big to fit into a petrol tank.

I did seem too big alright, it puzzled me but I was in a hurry so didnt think too much of it.

An interesting side note - Once it cut out, went back to garage and bought 20e credit, entered the voucher number and didnt wait for the confirmation, threw the credit in the bin not thinking straight and subsequently lost the money/credit. So p*issed at myself, not a good start to the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I did seem too big alright, it puzzled me but I was in a hurry so didnt think too much of it.

An interesting side note - Once it cut out, went back to garage and bought 20e credit, entered the voucher number and didnt wait for the confirmation, threw the credit in the bin not thinking straight and subsequently lost the money/credit. So p*issed at myself, not a good start to the morning
    :D Go back to bed and stay there for the rest of today before something else gose wrong. Its not a big job to clean out the fuel system, about an hours labour. Petrol into a diesel engine could be much more expensive to repair.

Advertisement