Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 500d if I have a 400d...

• 25-06-2009 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 500d. I still love my 400d, and having the 2 camera's could be useful for saving me time changing lens' when photographing certain gigs, but overall is it a bit pointless an upgrade?

I'd be jumping from 10.1 megapixel to 15.1 which is no harm and then there's the HD video element which I would like to mess with. My thinking behind getting this camera as opposed to another Canon is that I recently bought an expensive lens' which would not be compatible on a full frame camera so then that would be a great annoyance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

You could have a look at a 50D body only as an upgrade. It will make your 400D look like a plastic toy alongside it.

It will have much better higher ISO image quality also which would be good for indoor gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Or the 40D..can be picked up cheaply now that the 50D is out...
    Many say the upgrade from the 40D to the 50D is pointeless.
    I went from the 400D to the 40D and it's a huge improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Ballyman wrote: »
    You could have a look at a 50D body only as an upgrade. It will make your 400D look like a plastic toy alongside it.

It will have much better higher ISO image quality also which would be good for indoor gigs.

Agree with this,It's pointless upgrading to a camera in the same "family" you may as well move up to the next more professional group,It's always a good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Indeed ... the natural upgrade from an xxxD is xxD ... or xD ! ;)

also regarding the 500D, how important is video to you ?

because the 50D can't do video ... the only canon camera that can apart from the 500D is the 5D MK II ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

sounds like a case of G.A.S. to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cheers guys, I had been thinking of getting a 40d or 50d and the 500d only snuck into my head because of my curiosity to use the video function. Maybe someday I might sell the 400d and get the 500d and have a 40d/50d as main camera.

Cheers guys, I had been thinking of getting a 40d or 50d and the 500d only snuck into my head because of my curiosity to use the video function. Maybe someday I might sell the 400d and get the 500d and have a 40d/50d as main camera.

thats a good idea ... or you could treat yourself to the 5D II !!!

jackdaw wrote: »

Not much of a treat is he also shoots sports,Could probably get a used 1D MKIII for that :pac:

5D MK II is fine for sports .....

I know, contemplated it but given it's a full frame camera I will not be able to use expensives lens' I recently purchased, and would have to start over again. Catch 22. Still trying to confirm if my 10-22mm Canon lens is compatible with the 40d & 50d.

• Advertisement

I know, contemplated it but given it's a full frame camera I will not be able to use expensives lens' I recently purchased, and would have to start over again. Catch 22. Still trying to confirm if my 10-22mm Canon lens is compatible with the 40d & 50d.

It will work with the 40D & 50D ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Depends on what type sports you want to cover. Remember you're on full frame with it and will lose that little bit of extra reach with crop bodies. Also the slower fps will matter.

Fine for sports...Not excellent and at 3.9 fps it's not exactly great compared to 10fps of the MKIII

Anyway don't want to take this thread off topic so i'll leave it at that

No worries with going off topic. I've reached my conclusion and had some things confirmed and eyes opened.

Advertisement