Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House work :/

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Our place is untidy, but not dirty. It just gets messy with xbox controllers, letters, electronic components and camera stuff in the living room / kitchen table, but we try keep on top of it. Sortof.

We have a roomba, so that does the hoovering for us, most of our floors are tiled or wooden so they're easy to keep ( thanks roomba!).
    He does all the cooking (and the washing up) so I don't really do that very often at all (guilt complex setting in now...)

I do own an iron, but its been in the boot of my car for the last 3 years, so its been 3+ years since I last ironed anything.
    Was getting the spare tyre fixed there a while back, opened the boot and the iron was sitting in the back, the mechanic goes 'Whats that?!' So I replied 'Its... its my tyre iron...'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I hate starting any housework, but when I am finished I am usually happy because I know that the place looks good.

II cleaned my room last week before I went away for a week, and I was still chuffed when I went in there yesterday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

realcam wrote: »
    Sorry, guy here...

Why the hell would you care what a guy who fixes the door may or may not think about hand prints on your side panels?

First of all - he is a guy - so chances are roughly 99.75% he wouldn't even notice it. Secondly, even if he does, who gives a sh1t what he thinks? He's not going to report you to the dirty side panel police, is he?

So, what's your problem?

And yet you took the time out to read my thread. Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Abigayle wrote: »
    And yet you took the time out to read my thread. Interesting.

Mixture of a little boredom and curiosity. Ladies Lounge is great for moments like that. Also, it reminded me of discussions I'm having with my GF at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Yeah I'm with the majority here who hates ironing, only do it when its absolutely necessary and definitely do not iron my sheets or towels etc. Just don't see the point. Luckily alot of clothes don't need ironing as I hang them on the line and then afterwards, put them in the wardrobes staright away.

As for housework, I like my house to be clean and there is somthing very satisfying when I come home from work and the house is clean, very deflating when you walk in your front door and just see mess to be cleaned.

Oh and I'm definitely going to try that vinegar/water solution on my windows and shower!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

God i hate housework so much. I also hate grocery shopping to the point I will just eat leftovers to avoid it.

Working Monday to Friday, things to do after work, weekends should be for relaxing but between social things and housework .....urgh. This modern lifestyle sucks.

Ironing ....where do people get the time? I also buy clothes based on the fact that they don't require ironing.

I dont know where people get the time....you only have it done and it needs to be done again. Depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

am I the only one that likes the smell of ironing, well, when my mammy does it for me! :P

and i hate it when other members of the house never keep the kitchen and sitting room clean, drives me mental!

KatCookie wrote: »
    am I the only one that likes the smell of ironing, well, when my mammy does it for me! :P

Oh I've no problem with my mammy doing my ironing. But considering I left the family home 11 years ago, I'm pretty sure.. no certain she'd tell me to fcuk off now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

realcam wrote: »
    Mixture of a little boredom and curiosity. Ladies Lounge is great for moments like that. Also, it reminded me of discussions I'm having with my GF at times.

Not being sexist or anything , Women just notice stuff that men seem to miss. Thats why the above poster noticed the dust etc. Just a girl thing.
    Seems to be that way . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I hate housework end of!

My house is always tidy thanks to the fact my OH is currently out of work....but It is never to my standards.
    I'll ask him to make the beds & I will re-make them
    He will clean the kitchen counters....I will see all the invisible crumbs & I re-clean them
    He will mop the floors....I will go over them cause I can see dirt
    He will clean the bathrooms but I will go back in there with bleach

Is it just me that does this:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

THE average British woman spends more than 16 hours a week cleaning her home, a regime that “makes her feel in control of her life”, according to a survey. She devotes 2hr 23min each day to cleaning, compared with 52min a day on her personal appearance.

Of the 2,000 women questioned, 6 out of 10 said that cleaning “made them feel in control of their life” and the same proportion found cleaning “mentally therapeutic”.

Three quarters of the women surveyed kept up this regime of cleaning despite being in full or part-time work.

Only 22 per cent of respondents enjoyed the process, but 64 per cent found happiness in the results of their labours.

Nearly half admitted some sort of addiction to cleaning; a similar proportion wished that they could cut down, and 4 in 10 said that they were “no longer in control of their cleaning habits”. A third said that they found more satisfaction in cleaning than in sex.

According to 76 per cent of respondents, spotless interiors in magazines were to blame for the compulsion to clean.

While 80 per cent compared the cleanliness of other homes with their own, 6 out of 10 mothers thought that a messy house would lead visitors to believe they were a “bad mother”.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article708583.ece

Maddison wrote: »
    I hate housework end of!

My house is always tidy thanks to the fact my OH is currently out of work....but It is never to my standards.
    I'll ask him to make the beds & I will re-make them
    He will clean the kitchen counters....I will see all the invisible crumbs & I re-clean them
    He will mop the floors....I will go over them cause I can see dirt
    He will clean the bathrooms but I will go back in there with bleach

Is it just me that does this:confused:

Nah, Its most women. We see dirt at a sub atomic level ( his words ) If I have people over my home has to be so clean. A positive comment will
    be a badge of honour to me . On the theme, the dif. between my and his attitude is remarkable as he is so ho hum. He will offer to help if I am doing a lot but i dispatch him to the garden shed as he usually ends up under my feet. We have it so easy though .....dont we ?????:rolleyes:

Quote:THE average British woman spends more than 16 hours a week cleaning her home, a regime that “makes her feel in control of her life”, according to a survey. She devotes 2hr 23min each day to cleaning, compared with 52min a day on her personal appearance.

Of the 2,000 women questioned, 6 out of 10 said that cleaning “made them feel in control of their life” and the same proportion found cleaning “mentally therapeutic”.

Three quarters of the women surveyed kept up this regime of cleaning despite being in full or part-time work.

Only 22 per cent of respondents enjoyed the process, but 64 per cent found happiness in the results of their labours.

Nearly half admitted some sort of addiction to cleaning; a similar proportion wished that they could cut down, and 4 in 10 said that they were “no longer in control of their cleaning habits”. A third said that they found more satisfaction in cleaning than in sex.

According to 76 per cent of respondents, spotless interiors in magazines were to blame for the compulsion to clean.

While 80 per cent compared the cleanliness of other homes with their own, 6 out of 10 mothers thought that a messy house would lead visitors to believe they were a “bad mother”.

Those crazy Brits :pac:

I spend more time on myself actually, and I admit it shamelessly. I keep the place clean and tidy. I can get most of that done in an hour / hour and a half. I have a 2 bedroom house, theres no way I'd be able to cope with a house with more rooms :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This wrote: »
    1 cleaner.... 4 hours on a friday morning... 40 euro sorts all the problems out... doz the ironing and changes the sheets the 2 things i depise

I will do it for 35 euro and if you get me a second house I will give you 5 euro back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I have to be in a certain mood to clean.

Sometimes, I'll just wake up in the morning, skip up to the bathroom and spend an hour cleaning and re-cleaning. Then I'll get the hoover out for ages!
    This usually involves some singing and dancing ... glad to be alive type crap ;)

I hate cleaning my room though, hate it! Not sure why, but the thought of picking the huge piles of clothes, shoes, make-up and magazines up off the floor just doesn't appeal to me!

... I prefer to trod all over them then throw a hissy fit when things break / get damaged! :p

This usually involves some singing and dancing ...

You've actually brought up a point I hadn't noticed about myself. I cannot clean without having music on. I'm guilty of singing on the job too! Not full on dancing, just a bootie wiggle maybe :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I am a complete clean freak. Everything has a place, everything goes in that place. I couldn't sleep if there were clothes on my floor or anything like that! I like ironing and hoovering, very calming! I love the smell of cleanliness haha BUT I ABSOLUTELY HATE CHANGING THE SHEETS!!!!! TBH, my bed has been sheetless for the last week hahahaha.

Novella wrote: »
    BUT I ABSOLUTELY HATE CHANGING THE SHEETS!!!!! TBH, my bed has been sheetless for the last week hahahaha.

:eek: no no no! March up that stairs and put on a bed sheet young lady! :p

Incidently Xiney, I tried out the upholstery cleaner on the carpet, and it worked a treat! Thanks again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

BUT I ABSOLUTELY HATE CHANGING THE SHEETS!!!!! TBH, my bed has been sheetless for the last week hahahaha.

ewwwww :eek: you weirdo how the hell can you lie on a bed with no bed sheets :eek: ?????

its horrible, its liek the worst thing ever.... Excep my on ly problem is i wrigle in my sleep and so I do wake up to them not being there :mad: tho i blame sleep :D

hpow the hell can you sleep on a bed with no sheets weirdo :pac:

Those crazy Brits :pac:

I spend more time on myself actually, and I admit it shamelessly. I keep the place clean and tidy. I can get most of that done in an hour / hour and a half. I have a 2 bedroom house, theres no way I'd be able to cope with a house with more rooms :p

jeepers , those stats are amazing. something to "keep in mind" just in case.

• Advertisement

ewwwww :eek: you weirdo how the hell can you lie on a bed with no bed sheets :eek: ?????

its horrible, its liek the worst thing ever.... Excep my on ly problem is i wrigle in my sleep and so I do wake up to them not being there :mad: tho i blame sleep :D

hpow the hell can you sleep on a bed with no sheets weirdo :pac:

Well I mean the bed has a duvet on it, just no cover on the duvet! 'Cause I hate putting those things on, so awkward and annoying! I put on the pillow cases though so that's something :)

Well I mean the bed has a duvet on it, just no cover on the duvet! 'Cause I hate putting those things on, so awkward and annoying! I put on the pillow cases though so that's something :)

Its actually not that bad, theres a knack to it. Hold onto both corners of the duvet itself, shimmey it down into the bottom of the duvet cover. Connect corners. Take one hand out first, take hold of that corner from the outside, then do the same for the opposite side. Shake out until it comes into shape and button up.

Seemples :)

Its actually not that bad, theres a knack to it. Hold onto both corners of the duvet itself, shimmey it down into the bottom of the duvet cover. Connect corners. Take one hand out first, take hold of that corner from the outside, then do the same for the opposite side. Shake out until it comes into shape and button up.

I'll do your ironing if you change my sheets?!!! :)

I'll do your ironing if you change my sheets?!!! :)

Deal!! :D

Easier if you turn the Duvet cover inside out ;)
    will show you some time
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-on-a-duvet-cover

Easier if you turn the Duvet cover inside out ;)
    will show you some time
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-on-a-duvet-cover

Ahh the Link King strikes again! :pac: I kind of prefer my own way. But if you like a challenge..

Ahh the Link King strikes again! :pac: I kind of prefer my own way. But if you like a challenge..

I'm too lazy to explain stuff, your way you almost have to climb into the duvet cover :rolleyes:

I'm too lazy to explain stuff, your way you almost have to climb into the duvet cover

Its only my arms that are actually inside the cover tbh. I don't mind actually doing it either, no lazy streak here :)

Its only my arms that are actually inside the cover tbh. I don't mind actually doing it either, no lazy streak here :)

except what it comes to ironing... i don't mind cleaning, ironing etc. But bed room is usually a mess

• Advertisement

except what it comes to ironing...
    I'll iron if I have to, but its the heat from the iron p1sses me off. Like that I like vacuming. But I don't like doing the stairs because you can feel the heat off the vacum as it has to follow you step by step.

Advertisement