Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a bass?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

I think this might be a bass but can anyone tell me what type of bass it is?

p1010051b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Looks like a largemouth Bass but didn't know there were any this side of the pond - where was it caught ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Cheers. I dont know too much about fishing. Was my dad that caught this. Was caught off the coast of tramore last year.

p1010053g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its a sea bass, the only species of bass found around our coast. And that's a cracking one!

Cheers. Tasted amazing too :P One fillet fed four-five people

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Atlantic Bass and must be going on 8/9lb...Many guys fish a very long time with out getting one of that size

• Advertisement

I think it was in double figures. I'll check with my dad but I'm pretty sure it was at least 10lb if not more when I weighed it (12lb is sticking in my mind but I'll double check). Biggest bass he's ever caught. He caught a specimen coalfish off cork at the weekend and some monster cod. Think he managed to get some pics

Just got confirmation that it was 12lb :)

Just looking on irish-fish-trophy and for each fish it has a specimen weight. Can anyone tell me what that means please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

nice bass well done

the speciman size in ireland in 10lbs last time i checked

you must have witnesses to the catch

weighed on certified scales

also a scale of the fish from just behind the fins

so it might be to late to claim your certificate but very well done

was this caught near dublin dont say where just yes/no will do

well done m8

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Sparks43 wrote: »
    was this caught near dublin dont say where just yes/no will do

well done m8

He said above it was caught off the coast of tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Tinytony wrote: »
    He said above it was caught off the coast of tramore

oops:o

still a nice catch though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

GStormcrow wrote: »
    Just got confirmation that it was 12lb :)

Just looking on irish-fish-trophy and for each fish it has a specimen weight. Can anyone tell me what that means please?

The specimen weight is a weight that few fish reach, so if you catch one above specimen weight you are pretty lucky. If you catch a fish of specimen weight, you can get it weighed on a certified scales (any butchers shop will do it or you can get your own scales certified), fill out the claim form (with witness signature from someone who saw you catch it) and send to CFB, you get a specimen award and inclusion in the annual specimen report.

Thanks guys. He caught a 22lb coalfish down in cork at the weekend and some cod up to 28lb. I believe he submitted it to the CFB and he's due to get a specimen award for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Andip wrote: »
    Looks like a largemouth Bass but didn't know there were any this side of the pond - where was it caught ?

That looks NOTHING like a largemouth bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

:D thats why i dont fish for Bass !!

Advertisement