Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags on Quay St last night!

Options
  • 25-06-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Popped out for a few random drinks late last night to enjoy the weather and catch up with a few friends. Did the usual crawl along Quay St/High St.

Havin a pint somwhere in limbo between the Quays and the Spanish Arch Hotel when I saw the most random, sickening piece of random violence I think I have ever seen.

There seemed to be a high proportion of US college kids in town last night enjoying a few drinks. Two of these guys are approached by a teenaged scumbag who must have been drinking down the Arch all day. He asked them if they were American, they said yeah. Asked them if they knew how to box, they said no. Said he'd teach them, playfully sparring with the American kid. The yank throws a few half-hearted limp slaps that didnt touch scumbag. When next thing scumbag belts him across the head. American kid hits back a bit harder, when out of the blue, what could only be described as the Mother/Aunt/Overweight Girlfriend in her 40s, of the scumbag comes racing out of the crowd, punches American kid in the face and says: "touch him again and I'll ****ing kill ya!" At which point a few more emerged surrounded the American kid and his friend and started shoving and pushing them. Somehow they got away and ran up the street with this gang following them.

I hope they got into a taxi alright because it was pretty shocking. Saw the gang trawling up and down Quay St and the original scumbag broke a bottle over a table outside Artisan and tried to start a fight with a gang of lads from the North. Nothing came of it I think but they just seemed to be looking for trouble. Saw a couple of Gards earlier in the night but none were around when this gang was up to their ****!

It was so odd to see that kind of thing down that side of town. And I felt so bad for the American kid, who's impression of Galway is going to be forever marred by what happened! Also feel bad with myself for not stepping in and trying to stop it, but think that could have just made things worse...ah ****e!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Any chance it would be on CCTV - If so maybe report it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That could happen anywhere not just on a street in a city that attracts people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

snubbleste wrote: »

perhaps, but i still think it is unusal to see that on Quay St: A gang of scumbags basically working the street, breaking bottles and picking fights with random people. They were deranged to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

snubbleste wrote: »

Yeah but it didnt happen just anywhere, it happened in Galway. And thats a pity to see. This is the kind of thing that must NOT be allowed to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Cops,Sunny evenings!More people having a few beers etc but so do the SKUM.So I think there should be more VISIBLE cops WALKING/CYCLING .Poor tourists/students they think they are coming to a "lovely place" where everyone is so friendly and they let their guard down.They should tell all their friends etc etc not to come and maybe something will be done in making your average local/tourist feel a lot safer.It is not just a Galway problem.Chin up you would have ended up getting bet up by that gang.:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

To be fair the kid shouldn't have humoured the scumbag. Just ignore them til they **** off, thats the only way to treat them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

bullpost wrote: »
    Any chance it would be on CCTV - If so maybe report it?

+1

No point posting on boards, there's not much anyone can do here. There is CCTV on Quay st and I'm sure it picked it up

Steoob wrote: »
    Just ignore them til they **** off, thats the only way to treat them IMO.

Bad advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I'd noticed a very large amount of scumbags around the Spanish arch area yesterday afternoon alright. Seems to be a growing problem in the last few weeks, they're really dragging down the spanish arch.

When I was walking through, one scumbag who was walking down from Quay street punched the plastic wall of the bus-stop just beside the head of a fella who was sitting waiting on his bus to Salthill. What an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

To be fair the kid shouldn't have humoured the scumbag. Just ignore them til they **** off, thats the only way to treat them IMO.

he was maybe 20, probably from the Midwest somewhere....i dont think he knew what a scumbag was sadly....will mention it to a Garda I know but dont expect anything to come of it. Guess it will just make them aware that these people are about.....next time you're on Quay St keep an eye out for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Thats a real shame OP. Quay Street is usually such a safe place. Normally just good humoured revelary. In fairness the Gaurds can't be everywhere. Might have been a good idea to ring them when this was breaking out. They are based very close by. Also no harm now to go in and report it - we have to stamp this kind of thing out in Galway City if the place is to keep its charm.

Steoob, let not blame the victim. He was a young kid on holidays from the States. Prehaps a bit niave, but if a young lad who probably abroad for the first time in his life can't be allowed to be niave than who can?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its a pity.
    I was up around that area on Sunday going for lunch after visiting someone in hospital and was very impressed with how laidback and friendly things seemed to be , but as someone mentioned this could happen anywhere in Ireland and probably with more frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Bad advice
    What would you have done in that situation rarnes1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

If it was a lad with a green bulb lit under his car the gardai would be all over him but when it comes to trouble on the streets of this country, they do very little.

I was in Galway last night - I saw two gardai (tall male + short female) walking around Eyre Square. Other than that there was a traffic corp jeep following 'boy racers'.

You only have to watch Sky at night to see what law enforcement have to put up with in other countries. Gardai in Ireland have it a lot easier than Police in other countries and they still cannot keep control.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ronan_ wrote: »
    If it was a lad with a green bulb lit under his car the gardai would be all over him but when it comes to trouble on the streets of this country, they do very little.

I was in Galway last night - I saw two gardai (tall male + short female) walking around Eyre Square. Other than that there was a traffic corp jeep following 'boy racers'.

You only have to watch Sky at night to see what law enforcement have to put up with in other countries. Gardai in Ireland have it a lot easier than Police in other countries and they still cannot keep control.

WTF has their height or sex got to do with anything? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Ronan_

Did you RTFP? :rolleyes:
    Did I say it had anything to do with anything. I was merely pointing out that the only two gardai I saw in Galway last night. Perhaps you saw others? If not, those were the only two walking the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

saw an awful lot of drunk kids (and I mean kids, they were hardly older than 15) staggering out of St. Mary's (must have been bushing) down towards town, being noisy, disorderly, definuteoly drunk, and messing with parked cars. At 8 pm.

Last time we called the guards about a similar incident (as it was 2.30 in the morning and they were really causing trouble), noone came. Very annoying. Where are the parents, I ask you!

malice_ wrote: »
    What would you have done in that situation rarnes1?

Not told him to f*ck off anyway as that's all the excuse those scumbags need to draw a knife/bottle.

Tbh, I'd probably just walk off, even though every bone in my body would be wanting to smash the little f*cker.

5/6 years ago, I would have decked him without hesitation. The only problem with that is he then turns into the victim, and cue compo for the scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's been an increasing amount of this b*llox on Shop/High/Quay St recently. The bookies being robbed. Two buskers too. Someone did call the cops on the latter - the 'robber' was yer man with the really bad broken nose. Big guy, and really antisocial.
    There's two youngish lads I remember from last year, real nasty f*ckers. They went up and down Quay St picking fights with everyone, similar to the OP's post. The took a few swings too. Nasty little gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what was the story with all the young people out lastnite, seemed to be alot of drunk teenagers around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I witnessed this incident, was an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That American kid will go home & tell everyone. His friends will tell their friends & not only will it make them avoid Galway but they may stereotype the Irish.

If you witnessed this tell the guards.

With a good CCTV system that is monitored & 2 Guards one could easily cover the town centre. It's no good having the Gardai walking around. We need them being able to react quickly to a CCTV alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Maybe you should have rang Mill Street when you saw this kicking off, im sure guards would have been there in no time. I know they were able to direct a patrol car to me when i was almost robbed at an ATM by Roma gypsies further up the town a while back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Discodog wrote: »
    That American kid will go home & tell everyone. His friends will tell their friends & not only will it make them avoid Galway but they may stereotype the Irish.
    If you witnessed this tell the guards. ...

Er, the irish drink a lot and get into donnybrooks - sterotypical image from The Simpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scumbags are a scourge of any town/city but I really hate to have them here where we have a reputation of being a friendly city.
    American kid hits back a bit harder, when out of the blue, what could only be described as the Mother/Aunt/Overweight Girlfriend in her 40s, of the scumbag comes racing out of the crowd, punches American kid in the face and says: "touch him again and I'll ****ing kill ya!"

This is the reason they grow up to be monsters. Useless parents create useless kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

It was so odd to see that kind of thing down that side of town. And I felt so bad for the American kid, who's impression of Galway is going to be forever marred by what happened! Also feel bad with myself for not stepping in and trying to stop it, but think that could have just made things worse...ah ****e!

I don't think it's odd at all. Galway is rough as hell and full of knackers in the summer, or else vomiting students during college terms. It's a pretty unattractive place TBH, there is not even minimal policing at the best of times. I think tourists primarily visit for the countryside, not the amazing town which essentially is Carrick-on-Suir on steroids.

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I don't think it's odd at all. Galway is rough as hell and full of knackers in the summer, or else vomiting students during college terms. It's a pretty unattractive place TBH, there is not even minimal policing at the best of times. I think tourists primarily visit for the countryside, not the amazing town which essentially is Carrick-on-Suir on steroids.

Complete and utter rubbish.

I've been living in Galway since '96 and could count on 2 hands the number of incidents I've seen.

And please don't compare Galway to Carrick-on-Suir .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

thats a disgrace... poor american kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rdow

Complete and utter rubbish.

I've been living in Galway since '96 and could count on 2 hands the number of incidents I've seen.

And please don't compare Galway to Carrick-on-Suir .

I've only been living in Galway 6 months and I've seen loads of incidents.
    I saw a guy walk up to a taxi outside Jury's recently and spit on the driver then a group of them came out of nowhere and kicked the crap outta him till other people intervened, a girl attack someone with a stilletoe, a guy beating up a girl near Eyre square, a guy get robbed outside the bus station, thats all only in the last month... so either you don't get out to often or your oblivious to whats going on, Galway isn't any different to the rest of the country unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Not told him to f*ck off anyway as that's all the excuse those scumbags need to draw a knife/bottle.

Tbh, I'd probably just walk off, even though every bone in my body would be wanting to smash the little f*cker.

5/6 years ago, I would have decked him without hesitation. The only problem with that is he then turns into the victim, and cue compo for the scumbag
    But nobody advocated telling him to fuck off. According to the OP the Americans were pleasant to the scumbag and Steoob said to ignore them. I agree with you though that you shouldn't give them any excuse to start anything. Sadly though, they often just start it anyway.
    Pete4779 wrote:
    the amazing town which essentially is Carrick-on-Suir on steroids.
    What does that mean?

Advertisement