Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags on Quay St last night!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

rdow wrote: »
    I saw a guy walk up to a taxi outside Jury's recently and spit on the driver then a group of them came out of nowhere and kicked the crap outta him till other people intervened, a girl attack someone with a stilletoe, a guy beating up a girl near Eyre square, a guy get robbed outside the bus station, thats all only in the last month

You must have bad timing.

Report any of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rdow

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You must have bad timing.

Report any of these?

the one with the taxi driver, we just told security in Jurys and the girl with the stilletoe and the guy beating the girl were broken up so I didnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

and all this going on while there are 300 guards are up at the shell to sea crap in mayo. Drives me mad now they have two navy ships there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Discodog wrote: »
    With a good CCTV system that is monitored & 2 Guards one could easily cover the town centre. It's no good having the Gardai walking around. We need them being able to react quickly to a CCTV alert.

I would disagree with the bit in bold. I think a visible presence on the streets prevents a lot of trouble. Last year in when I went to New York it stuck out to me how little CCTV they have (comapred to London or even Dublin and Galway) but there was always a large presence of officers patrolling the streets; there were officers at every second street corner almost. As a result it seemed incredibly safe. I didn't see any trouble and it was always reassuring to know that if you did get into any bother there would be police officers very close by.

CCTV is very important also. It acts as a deterrent, can provide evidence and can alert the Gardai to situations they may not otherwise be aware of.

I know if I was getting attacked I would rather there were lots of Gardai out on the streets that could help me quickly rather than someone sitting in a CCTV control room watching me have 9 bags of ****e kicked out of me from several different angles. That's if I had to choose between the two; obviously we can and should have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe we should follow Stockholm's example and introduce crime prevention stewards?
    The Lugna Gatan programme in Stockholm started in 1994. The basic idea is to reduce levels of violence, vandalism and other forms of offending among youths in the county of Stockholm by means of activities run by young persons who themselves have experience of asocial behaviour and of not fitting in. The objective is to reduce crime and social marginalisation among the youths participating in the project, and to reduce corresponding problems in those areas where these youths are active

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Work-live/Society-welfare/Reading/Swedes-stamp-out-violence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Galway is turning in a right hole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Mike... wrote: »
    Galway is turning in a right hole...

wow thats not a big generalisation atall....

Let us not get overly dramatic.

Galway still has the lowest crime rate of any city in the country. If you can't feel safe in Galway then where can you feel safe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I saw a few 'unsavory characters' checking out the bikes by The Dew Drop, phoned the Garda station. They said that the'll look at the CCTV. I'd imagine that Quay St has a CCVT as well.

You should phone the station and they might have a look at it (while it's happening) or send someone over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Magnus wrote: »
    Maybe we should follow Stockholm's example and introduce crime prevention stewards?

http://www.sweden.se/eng/Home/Work-live/Society-welfare/Reading/Swedes-stamp-out-violence

To me thats akin to letting the lunatics run the asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, it's a shame that you didn't have your cellphone on you at the time? Or that you didn't use it. Whichever.

Does anyone know what's the best number to ring when you see something like this? I'm guessing not 911/112, since it's not a life-and-death emergency. Mill St? Anyone know what it is, I'd like l to save it into my phone.

The number I have for Mill Street is 091 538000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JustMary wrote: »
    OP, it's a shame that you didn't have your cellphone on you at the time? Or that you didn't use it. Whichever.

Does anyone know what's the best number to ring when you see something like this? I'm guessing not 911/112, since it's not a life-and-death emergency. Mill St? Anyone know what it is, I'd like l to save it into my phone.

091 538000

Although I'm sure they'll be ok with 999 (not 911) if someone is getting the sh*t knocked out of them. I guess the local number would be slightly quicker though.

JustMary wrote: »

:D Certainly not 911, unless you're in the US.

999/112

EDIT: cornbb just beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

KevR wrote: »

999/112

EDIT: cornbb just beat me to it.

You sure, guys?

Haven't had to used it myself, and I'm clearly not going to try it to find out, but I've been told by several people that 911 will indeed connect you to the emergency services. :confused:

I would get untold pleasure from seeing the likes of that scumbag(in the op) getting kicked to a pulp after picking the wrong person to threaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

big b wrote: »
    You sure, guys?

Haven't had to used it myself, and I'm clearly not going to try it to find out, but I've been told by several people that 911 will indeed connect you to the emergency services. :confused:

Wikipedia says "maybe, but not officially"
    It has been reported that on some networks in the UK, and in Ireland dialing 9-1-1 will forward you to the emergency line as well.[9] Despite this, 911 is not the official number in those locations and can not be relied upon in case of emergency.[1
    I'll give it a go next time I'm in the middle of being murdered.

Or you could always try 0118 999 881 999 119 7253 :D

Edit: grr, embedding disabled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

cornbb wrote: »
    Wikipedia says "maybe, but not officially

I'll give it a go next time I'm in the middle of being murdered.

Would ya? :D

There doesn't seem to be too many different ways of calling, worldwide. Given that, maybe it'd make sense if 999/911/112 all got ya through, in any country.

Edit - Cornbb's clip looked embedded ok a few mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oops ... :o

No landline in my house, so I only bothered learning learning 112. That's my excuse anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Let us not get overly dramatic.

Galway still has the lowest crime rate of any city in the country. If you can't feel safe in Galway then where can you feel safe?!

This is typical of the made-up nonsense I experience when living in Galway, which is actually a ****hole of a town, and from videos seemed much ncier in the 1950s.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/crime_justice/current/gardacrimestats.pdf

Manslaughter: (p27): Galway (west) rate is 15th of the 25 areas studied.

Dangerous Driving leading to death: Galway West is 1.66/100000. That is higher than North central and Eastern Dublin Metropolitan (DMR), more than Cork City, North Cork or West Cork. In fact of the 25 regions in the CSO, Galway West ranks 8th highest in the country for dangerous driving leading to death. Look a the stats, it has a higher rate than all of the Dublin metropolitan regions.

Rape: 5th highest rate of the 25 regions in Ireland. That is HUGE. If you add in Galway East and Roscommon (reported as one), Galway + Roscommon have the 3rd highest rate rape per 100000 populaiton in Ireland. safe place, yeah?

Defilement of a boy or girl under 17 years old: (p36) Galway has the highest incidents of this in the whole country; I suppose you have to be number one at something. Wow, what a fantastic place to have children, isn't it. The highest reported difilements of minors per population in the whole country. What an achievement.

Sexual offences involving a mentally impaired person: (p37) Once again, Galway leads the pack and has the highest rate in the country.

Non-aggravated sexual assaults: an improvement. Galway West ranks as 18th of 25. Not the safest place in the country, but an improvement as long as you are not actually being raped or mentally impaired.

Other assaults: middle of the road, 12th in the country (p49)

Dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm: Galway is number 1 in the country, with Dublin metropolitan area West. Well done Galway and your second (or is it third) highest rate of a crime per population in Ireland!!! (p56)

In charge of a vehicle while under influence of drugs: Galway ranks as the 7th highest rate of this crime out of the 25 areas studied. (p58)

rate of Abandonement causing child neglect: keeping up it's "low crime" image, Galway ranks as 7th in the country again for this out of 25 areas. Keep it up boys! Sure isn't it the safest place in Ireland, to be sure!

You get the idea. Out of 25 areas that are reported on by the CSO, galway is:

5th highest of 25 for endangering road traffic incidents
    13th of 25 for non-aggravated burglarly offences
    12th for vehicle theft
    9th of 25 for theft from person incidents
    10th of 25 for theft from shops

Basically, people in galway live in fantasy land. It has slightly higher than average crime, but particularly high rates for rape and defielment of minors.

Now, lets forget about facts and concentrate on bigging up the next town over from boston.

• Advertisement

Pete4779 wrote: »
    This is typical of the made-up nonsense I experience when living in Galway, which is actually a ****hole of a town.

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read in a long time. Galway is a great place to live and is commonly refered to as the nicest city in Ireland( which it is).

Here is a link which shows all the roads out of Galway so you can leave if its so bad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1CHMB_enIE309IE309&sourceid=chrome&q=maps+galway&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=ie&ei=8NRESoHUAdCwjAefxJxk&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

I wish I didnt have to move out of Galway for work because no where can compare with it.

74% of statistics are unreliable.Only 4 in 10 know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Town has gotten super dodgy lately, I've seen so many fights in the last few weeks and I know a good few people who have been beaten up recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have read in a long time. Galway is a great place to live and is commonly refered to as the nicest city in Ireland( which it is).

Here is a link which shows all the roads out of Galway so you can leave if its so bad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1CHMB_enIE309IE309&sourceid=chrome&q=maps+galway&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=ie&ei=8NRESoHUAdCwjAefxJxk&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

I wish I didnt have to move out of Galway for work because no where can compare with it.

yeah it's commonly referred to as the nicest city and a great place to live but only *by the people from Galway*. I did leave actually, because it turned out that the only people who think it's a great place are from there and are obviously blind to the huge social problems in the city and county.

yeah it's commonly referred to as the nicest city and a great place to live but only *by the people from Galway*.

Absolute rubbish.Galway is in the top 50 destinations in the world never mind Ireland.

People from all over Ireland say its the best part of the country and the nicest city to live in.

This is typical of the made-up nonsense I experience when living in Galway, which is actually a ****hole of a town, and from videos seemed much ncier in the 1950s.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/crime_justice/current/gardacrimestats.pdf

Manslaughter: (p27): Galway (west) rate is 15th of the 25 areas studied.

Dangerous Driving leading to death: Galway West is 1.66/100000. That is higher than North central and Eastern Dublin Metropolitan (DMR), more than Cork City, North Cork or West Cork. In fact of the 25 regions in the CSO, Galway West ranks 8th highest in the country for dangerous driving leading to death. Look a the stats, it has a higher rate than all of the Dublin metropolitan regions.

Rape: 5th highest rate of the 25 regions in Ireland. That is HUGE. If you add in Galway East and Roscommon (reported as one), Galway + Roscommon have the 3rd highest rate rape per 100000 populaiton in Ireland. safe place, yeah?

Defilement of a boy or girl under 17 years old: (p36) Galway has the highest incidents of this in the whole country; I suppose you have to be number one at something. Wow, what a fantastic place to have children, isn't it. The highest reported difilements of minors per population in the whole country. What an achievement.

Sexual offences involving a mentally impaired person: (p37) Once again, Galway leads the pack and has the highest rate in the country.

Non-aggravated sexual assaults: an improvement. Galway West ranks as 18th of 25. Not the safest place in the country, but an improvement as long as you are not actually being raped or mentally impaired.

Other assaults: middle of the road, 12th in the country (p49)

Dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm: Galway is number 1 in the country, with Dublin metropolitan area West. Well done Galway and your second (or is it third) highest rate of a crime per population in Ireland!!! (p56)

In charge of a vehicle while under influence of drugs: Galway ranks as the 7th highest rate of this crime out of the 25 areas studied. (p58)

rate of Abandonement causing child neglect: keeping up it's "low crime" image, Galway ranks as 7th in the country again for this out of 25 areas. Keep it up boys! Sure isn't it the safest place in Ireland, to be sure!

You get the idea. Out of 25 areas that are reported on by the CSO, galway is:

5th highest of 25 for endangering road traffic incidents
    13th of 25 for non-aggravated burglarly offences
    12th for vehicle theft
    9th of 25 for theft from person incidents
    10th of 25 for theft from shops

Basically, people in galway live in fantasy land. It has slightly higher than average crime, but particularly high rates for rape and defielment of minors.

Now, lets forget about facts and concentrate on bigging up the next town over from boston.

Or perhaps you had a bad experience and decided to hold a childish grudge,trying in vain to vindicate your illwill by some dubious,thereby trivial statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

68% of statistics are made up on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pete4779, I think this is the wrong place to point out how bad our beloved Galway is.
    Even the Dubs and Corkonians thinks Galway is one of the best spots in Ireland

Now, how to curb the scumbag issue *fingers taser*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Every are has social problems, Galway included. I think the people here love it for the standard of living, and while we complain about traffic - its only if it takes me 30 minutes to get to work.

Throughout the country, people think their town/city/county is the best, and usually, for many various reasons, to them it is.

Dubs think nowhere else exists, Cork refers to itself as the "real capital", whatever that means, etc etc.

I wouldn't say that we're ignoring the social problems that exist, more that people here are expressing disgust that such open acts of violence are occurring in the city, and indeed you stats appear to back that up.

We don't want it to be somewhere you can't feel safe, and in the current economic climate, in a town that thrives on tourism, any bad press affects us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

yeah it's commonly referred to as the nicest city and a great place to live but only *by the people from Galway*. I did leave actually, because it turned out that the only people who think it's a great place are from there and are obviously blind to the huge social problems in the city and county.

You left and then you returned, for someone that dislikes Galway so much why would you come back and still be here a couple of years later? You must absolutely love your job or be earning a huge salary?

Advertisement